Transfer Portal - This is crazy

El Paso Eagle

9 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I don't pay a lot of attention to the xfer portal.  Is there a separate one for each of FCS/FBS or is this just a list of FCS players that are in the one portal?

The one I usually check is the 247 Transfer tracking, but it is for FBS schools. THis one shows FCS schools

Some of this is a function of the NCAA lifting the annual signing limit for this year and next. With the limits in place, then signing too many JUCO or Portal players with less than four years of eligibility remaining mean that down the road you team is going to be short on players. Not sure what they will do in four years when all these portal players start running out of eligibility. 

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At the same time, you can completely rebuild your team (FBS players who transferred to Abilene Christian this past season)

image.png.a9a9b09cb0104a7bad8e645a75d523a8.png

So Does ACU know more about the portal than us - appears at least with our past HC and his direction very much yes huh.  Let’s hope this year we nab some impact guys! Granted we did get a couple that did have positive impacts but - this type list shows we missed a lot of opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

So Does ACU know more about the portal than us - appears at least with our past HC and his direction very much yes huh.  Let’s hope this year we nab some impact guys! Granted we did get a couple that did have positive impacts but - this type list shows we missed a lot of opportunities. 

They did bring in a lot of FBS players. Not sure how many might have been on our radar. I do believe we when after McIvor out of HS.

In today's Portal of Hell world transfers will play a larger role for most schools, and especially decent FCS schools. I don't believe you necessarily pick a transfer from a P5 over a G5 or lower transfer just because they were at a P5. A comment I heard, "Everything is a situation" fits the transfer portal - how does the player fit your needs? Every situation, and everyone's story is different. How do you find the right fit? It will be interesting to see how the new staff handels transfers. 

In theory, as more transfers are using scholarships there should be "better HS players available.  The risk is that a program send 1,2, or 3 years developing them for the next team. The circle of life.