Which Staff Members do you hope stay?

El Paso Eagle

36 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I would love the new HC to consider bringing Marcus Trice onto his staff as a defensive coach. I would love to see at least 1 former player as a coach on each side of the ball. Cobbs/Trice would be a good combo in my mind. If you could get Mason in here as an offensive analyst or something, that would be cool to me too.

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Bring this man back to Denton! Put him in a position where he cannot be ignored!

image.jpeg.fdbc5044ac9975cfa7331898a35e7bcf.jpeg

If we hire his current boss I would almost guarantee he’d be on the new staff.

• Thanks 2

Just now, greenminer said:

He doesn't need to do anything. If he loves it here, and he is excelling, he can stay.

I get what you're saying though, in terms of resume building.

I believe that is why Morris left UIW to take the OC roles at Washington State; felt it gave him a better chance in the long-run for a good FBS job

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I love Zach (he was my adopted player for 2 years!)   And he's no-doubt put himself in a position to be a great defensive coach learning from Wink Martindale & Joe Cullen, so he's not "just an alumnus".   He's in the NFL right now.  I don't know if he would want to come back to CFB.

I think Zach is great, born leader, hard worker, exciting public speaker, and I bet he can recruit. 

You never know until you ask him. He bleeds green.

Just now, KingDL1 said:

I think Zach is great, born leader, hard worker, exciting public speaker, and I bet he can recruit. 

Oh, I agree with all of that!   But can he scheme an entire defense against these AAC teams?   Your coordinators have to be the X's & O's guys.    He's gotta be able to see what the offense is doing and adjust if they start seeing success against your defense.   I'm just not 100% sure he'd be ready to do that with his NFL LB coach experience.   CFB & NFL are different animals.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I agree with all of that!   But can he scheme an entire defense against these AAC teams?   Your coordinators have to be the X's & O's guys.    He's gotta be able to see what the offense is doing and adjust if they start seeing success against your defense.   I'm just not 100% sure he'd be ready to do that with his NFL LB coach experience.   CFB & NFL are different animals.

I don't know what position best suits him, I was only saying I would love to have him here. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

A new coach will bring a new staff.

Cobbs was a great player and NT has a stable of good running backs.  However, that does not necessarily mean that Cobbs is a great coach.  He very well maybe, however that could have also been the influence of Littrell. 

Usually there is a transition coach retained to smooth over things for the new staff with the existing players.  Cobbs would be a good coach for that.

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I would love the new HC to consider bringing Marcus Trice onto his staff as a defensive coach. I would love to see at least 1 former player as a coach on each side of the ball. Cobbs/Trice would be a good combo in my mind. If you could get Mason in here as an offensive analyst or something, that would be cool to me too.

Every time someone mentions this, I always add that having MT around your program is a good thing simply by having his presence.  Despite never actually meeting the guy, he's still easily one of my top 10 NT FB "people" ever.

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I really like PC, but from a career builder does he need to move on at some point to move up?

True; but at some point is not now.  If can keep building the running game (as he has here) in the AAC, he will build his resume.  He is loyal enough to return here, if all things are equal, when he has built that resume.

13 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Strike me down for thinking this, but what if the new head football coach decides not to retain Cobbs?

I'm going to have to dig deep to answer this profound hypothetical.  I believe if this situation plays out....Cobbs will not be here in 2023.

*phew*

*grabs beer and puts feet up*

That was tiring.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

24 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Strike me down for thinking this, but what if the new head football coach decides not to retain Cobbs?

I will say this, yes it’s 50/50 on if Cobb continues on with UNT… with that being said.. 

its rumored that Fuente was a top of the list of we moved on from SL last year, and if this is true… Fuente likely has already spent some time looking over the current/previous staff, roster, etc. Boosters as well as someone like Wren (who was here when Cobb came back) has also suggested things about the staff as well. With that being said, he can see how the team looked last year vs this year and you can see the RB group is not an issue and it was one of the better spots for us. Also, RB coaches are also not as critical as say WR/OL/Etc depending on scheme as well. 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I'm going to have to dig deep to answer this profound hypothetical.  I believe if this situation plays out....Cobbs will not be here in 2023.

*phew*

*grabs beer and puts feet up*

That was tiring.

OK! OK!  You got me.  I’m thinking the fan base, all of us who love Coach Cobbs.  For a new coach to not retain Cobbs, wouldn’t that immediately strain the relationship between fans and the new coach?  I guess if the new coach goes 12-0, plus a bowl win, we could all learn to turn the other cheek.

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

OK! OK!  You got me.  I’m thinking the fan base, all of us who love Coach Cobbs.  For a new coach to not retain Cobbs, wouldn’t that immediately strain the relationship between fans and the new coach?  I guess if the new coach goes 12-0, plus a bowl win, we could all learn to turn the other cheek.

So you’re suggesting fans will have a strained relationship if a new coach decides he has someone he wants on his staff more than Cobbs?

15 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Every time someone mentions this, I always add that having MT around your program is a good thing simply by having his presence.  Despite never actually meeting the guy, he's still easily one of my top 10 NT FB "people" ever.

And where is Trice? On Carthels staff. They can say all they want about his face he does know his jimmys and joes and x’s and o’s

• Upvote 2

This may not be popular, but I have a very close family friend who recently went through the recruiting process.  He met Seth, Seth connected him to Luke W. and that is where it ended.  The kid is playing D1 football now and would have loved to have been courted by UNT.  His HS coaches told him to avoid UNT, and UNT never took a serious look at him.  He's an elite athlete from a major dfw football powerhouse hs program.  Luke W missed out on a Gabe Blair type athlete because of his failed relationship with this HS.  Because of this experience, I'd question whether Luke W is a keepable asset.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

This may not be popular, but I have a very close family friend who recently went through the recruiting process.  He met Seth, Seth connected him to Luke W. and that is where it ended.  The kid is playing D1 football now and would have loved to have been courted by UNT.  His HS coaches told him to avoid UNT, and UNT never took a serious look at him.  He's an elite athlete from a major dfw football powerhouse hs program.  Luke W missed out on a Gabe Blair type athlete because of his failed relationship with this HS.  Because of this experience, I'd question whether Luke W is a keepable asset.

This is a troubling story.    I've always thought very highly of Walerius.    Hopefully an outlier.

• Upvote 1