Which Staff Members do you hope stay?

El Paso Eagle

Not to hijack this thread, but I would love the new HC to consider bringing Marcus Trice onto his staff as a defensive coach. I would love to see at least 1 former player as a coach on each side of the ball. Cobbs/Trice would be a good combo in my mind. If you could get Mason in here as an offensive analyst or something, that would be cool to me too.

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, DentonLurker said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I would love the new HC to consider bringing Marcus Trice onto his staff as a defensive coach. I would love to see at least 1 former player as a coach on each side of the ball. Cobbs/Trice would be a good combo in my mind. If you could get Mason in here as an offensive analyst or something, that would be cool to me too.

I stated this earlier. Recruiting coordinator + coaching capacity. 

Coaches must be hired on their ability to recruit, firstly. MT would be a solid addition. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DentonLurker said:

This should not ever be a requirement.   EVER.    We want the best coaches to be in those positions.  I don't care if they graduated from SMU.

And Mason's a little busy playing professional football to join as an analyst.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This should not ever be a requirement.   EVER.    We want the best coaches to be in those positions.  I don't care if they graduated from SMU.

I completely agree with you. I have stated in another thread I would let the new coach make ALL his own calls. I would just love to see some of our former players involved in the program when there's opportunities and they can help the program.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And Mason's a little busy playing professional football to join as an analyst.

I get that. I just figure he's probably not going to play in Canada forever. If there's a chance to get him involved in this program when he's ready to move on, I'd love to see it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, cousin oliver said:

How about adding Zach Orr back into the fold as a DC?  I always thought he was a great motivator.

I love Zach (he was my adopted player for 2 years!)   And he's no-doubt put himself in a position to be a great defensive coach learning from Wink Martindale & Joe Cullen, so he's not "just an alumnus".   He's in the NFL right now.  I don't know if he would want to come back to CFB.

Maybe Cobbs... but honestly, i want the new coach to be able to not feel hamstrung by anyone he 'has' to maintain. I hope that whoever the new coach is comes in with an objective way to evaluate the current staff and make appropriate decisions related to who stays on board.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I stated this earlier. Recruiting coordinator + coaching capacity. 

Coaches must be hired on their ability to recruit, firstly. MT would be a solid addition. 

This ain't 2010.   The Recruiting Coordinator is it's own position.  It has to be.  It's a full-time job.   Heck, even the recruiting coordinator has staff under him.

Trice isn't going to simply be a recruiting coordinator.    And Walerius is pretty good at that job.   If the new HC wants to consider him as a Safeties coach, I'm not against it!

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This ain't 2010.   The Recruiting Coordinator is it's own position.  It has to be.  It's a full-time job.   Heck, even the recruiting coordinator has staff under him.

Trice isn't going to simply be a recruiting coordinator.    And Walerius is pretty good at that job.   If the new HC wants to consider him as a Safeties coach, I'm not against it!

Then that, or whatever. Don't matter, as long as he's in green and has a very fruitful recruiting territory assigned to him. 

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I like how fans always criticize coaches for loyalty and nepotism hires, but then we demand they hire/keep every former player that's a coach lol 

Naw. I demand results first. 

Secondly, I know the personality of Marcus Trice and how we will be a recruiting magnet. 

Patrick Cobbs, playing resume or not, has done a great job. He is also a great advocate of UNT. 

They have built-in interest for UNT (not career advancement) and they will/have do great jobs. 

• Eye Roll 1