Jump to content

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?


Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

    • Justin Fuente
      59
    • Gary Patterson
      15
    • Garrett Riley
      13
    • Emmett Jones
      8
    • Graham Harrell
      9
    • Joe Gillespie
      1
    • Colby Carthel
      13
    • K.C. Keeler
      4
    • Eric Morris
      4
    • Chris Thomsen
      0


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Thank god we got input from Chris on Twitter…I really put a ton of weight into what he says since he has a fantastic track record…

the point should be Fuente has developed multiple NFL QBs, which is what we need at UNT. Paxton was 1st RD draft pick… if you develop QBs in college, it’s much easier to recruit and get peoples attention. 
 

SL found and “developed” the 2 best statistical QBs in UNT history, and neither of them got/will get a whiff of the NFL. 

Well Chris from twitter is a VaTech fan commenting on his frustration with Fuente-coached quarterbacks which seems relevant to the discussion at hand since a rando alleged VaTech fan came over today to make excuses for Fuente.

Edited by Cr1028
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BBA1989 said:

Someone help me understand the love for Carthel.  SFA hasn't beaten SHSU since 2010, even when Sam was  down in talent in 2022.  They haven't won the Southland or the WAC and got hammered by Rich Rodriguez in their opener.  

Did reach out to someone who follows SFA. He commented that after last season, SFA had 8 coaches/staff members who were poached by other schools. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Well Chris from twitter is a VaTech fan commenting on his frustration with Fuente-coached quarterbacks which seems relevant to the discussion at hand since a rando alleged VaTech fan came over today to make excuses for Fuente.

Someone random from a VA board came here, so you find a random Twitter user to reinforce a point you want to try and prove to be valid? The only thing that shows is you’re looking for selective details to match your narrative.

with that being said, who gives a crap about the status of his QBs, Dalton got TCU to the Rose Bowl and Lynch had Memphis ranked 15/16 in the country -_-

Y’all are trying to push and go after Guys who have been coaches at FBS schools, while we could potentially get a proven winner in Fuente.. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Summing up from what i read in this thread on Fuente:

Things i don't like: Lack of actual trophies. Recruiting pointing slightly downwards starting from medium territory.

Things I like: Seems to better understand the portal, had the introspection to understand that he went wrong on identity, that promises improvement. More Texas ties than i realized.

Things i still wonder about: How did he do with NIL and boosters who may facilitate it.

Still overall, I would rather have someone who just killed it at the FCS level and could now try to replicate it with more resources than he had prior.

Also some posted on the value of experience. maybe it is time to post on the value of youth and weakness of experience, as some of the older folks seem to have forgotten about it. The last few years have seen some fairly young HCs emerge, like Riley at OU-USC, Day at Ohio State etc. On average they did just as fine as older head coaches.

You need a lot of energy to be an HC. That speaks for youth. You need to understand and credibly relate to 17-23 year olds, that is easier for someone who is young. You need to recruit across all those new channels. You need to fully adapt to the portal and the redshirting rules etc, not just when recruiting. Youth is more open to try completely new things over proven things and it is a weakness of experience that it often creates a bias that makes folks fail to realize when proven things are gradually stopping to work or overtaken by better things.  Sometimes people learn from bad experience, but often enough they learn the wrong things -they decrease their trust when trust is essential.

Edited by outoftown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow, I guess you didn’t realize that Cumbie and LaTech hired away 4 of Carthel’s staff members before this season. You probably also don’t realize that SFA was on their 4th string quarterback by the end of the Warner game trying to gain experience for the backups. They scored 23 points on defense or special teams and Warner turned the ball over 4 times. Warner went 1-9 as a NAIA school and routinely got throttled by even other NAIA schools. 

A good listen.

 

Rick

  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Did reach out to someone who follows SFA. He commented that after last season, SFA had 8 coaches/staff members who were poached by other schools. 

Not a good shake also one needs to look at this year’s record and know that Sam jville st alcorn state and la tech are operating at 20+ more scholarships than sfa.  His record this year does not scare me away

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moobs said:

Assistant coach buyouts are a lot less than HC buyouts.

While I understand buyouts are less, i have no idea why his buyout would be but it sure as hell is not in the 1M territory. 
 

with that being said, he has had success, recruiting ties, etc.. I would honestly really like to see Fuente come in and bring in an assistant HC such as these FCS guys… I suggest this because the ideal hope would be Fuente would have success and be out of here in 3 years or less while allowing said FCS to continue laying groundwork and expand, which I think would allow us to have most success

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ExADofficeIntern said:

While I understand buyouts are less, i have no idea why his buyout would be but it sure as hell is not in the 1M territory. 
 

with that being said, he has had success, recruiting ties, etc.. I would honestly really like to see Fuente come in and bring in an assistant HC such as these FCS guys… I suggest this because the ideal hope would be Fuente would have success and be out of here in 3 years or less while allowing said FCS to continue laying groundwork and expand, which I think would allow us to have most success

Emmitt Jones should be his 2nd call. Patterson for DC should be his 1st.

  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Because he hires and produces winners that also know how to sell their program.

Good coaches are ALWAYS losing assistants.

 

Rick

The point of my question is and was, if he is such a successful coach why are no other programs looking at him? 
 

i only bring this up because if other programs such as LAT have passed (and they seem to have a descent track record of football success) maybe it should be viewed as a red flag

  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well Chris from twitter is a VaTech fan commenting on his frustration with Fuente-coached quarterbacks which seems relevant to the discussion at hand since a rando alleged VaTech fan came over today to make excuses for Fuente.

Looks like we've got ourselves a fine line in the sand here. Whose random word will we be trusting  mine or Chris from Twitter's?

Edited by jwVA
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jwVA said:

Looks like we've got ourselves a fine line in the sand here. Whose random word will we be trusting  mine or Chris from Twitter's?

Well seeing as how a few new posters (who could be Jimmy Sexton-types for all we know) showed up just since the job posting just to sell Fuente while twitter dude has been posting about VaTech and the Saints for awhile, my inclination is to trust the one that didn’t just show up overnight. Maybe you can share your handle and some of your hated posts from the VT board to give yourself a little credibility.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

Emmitt Jones should be his 2nd call. Patterson for DC should be his 1st.

Patterson isn’t going to take a DC job, or at-least I doubt he would. He made plenty of money while atTCU and is making a descent amount now with UT it was said. 
 

i would more than willing to have someone like Emmitt on the staff but he does not from what I have seen, is experience with play calling. Yes it can be learned, but we have seen even with the most successful offenses we have had inexperienced OC have hot and cold streaks. (I would love for Emmitt to be on the staff for his connections alone but we need to bring in experienced and proven coaches. The American is not going to be like CUSA and breaking in a new QB and potentially a new supporting cast as well is enough, before adding in an inexperienced play caller).
 

How would I Bring in emmitt, top his salary at Texh give him Co-OC and pair him with an experienced OC, and in a year or two, that OC leaves and Emmitt could take over

 

also, yes the suggestions I have said for the staff would be potential very expensive, but the idea is that we had countless issues in the past with inexperienced Coords. It’s fine to have a 1st time inside WR coach or TE, etc coach but lacking experience at play caller has hurt us. I’m sure many of us can agree and would be more willing to donated/get tickets etc if the coaching pool was something that gave us hope.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The only thing that shows is you’re looking for selective details to match your narrative.

Exactly, just like some of the newbies pushing Fuente except we have been here and want what’s best for UNT, not what’s best for Justin Fuente and his agent.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Well seeing as how a few new posters (who could be Jimmy Sexton-types for all we know) showed up just since the job posting just to sell Fuente while twitter dude has been posting about VaTech and the Saints for awhile, my inclination is to trust the one that didn’t just show up overnight. Maybe you can share your handle and some of your hated posts from the VT board to give yourself a little credibility.

Everyone can have different opinions, but nitpicking random Twitter users because it fits your narrative is questionable…

what it comes down is hiring a coach from the FCS, or hiring a coach who has had FBS success and has coached at a P5

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The point of my question is and was, if he is such a successful coach why are no other programs looking at him? 
 

i only bring this up because if other programs such as LAT have passed (and they seem to have a descent track record of football success) maybe it should be viewed as a red flag

For the same reason Traylor won’t leave the state. Their Best attributes are they are Texas   They have a tremendous advantage in recruiting in Texas   Why live in Ruston and again only 2 next level jobs have been open since he’s been at sfa. Tex st and north Texas 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Exactly, just like some of the news pushing Fuente except we have been here and want what’s best for UNT, not what’s best for Justin Fuente and his agent.

The idea that Fuente agent, made a GMG profile to post Pro-Fuente messages is the most tin-foil hat thing I’ve seen. Let alone thinking that making a few posts here will make his client get a sweeter deal from UNT. LOL
 

Fuente is someone who was rumored to be a potential last year 😂 he has Texas ties as well so it’s not a huge stretch to think people have interest in a Former P5 coach with a track record of success

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

A legitimate question and should be asked... why did his assistants get poached but not him?

Well, you’d have to read about the man and listen to him speak. He isn’t looking just to go FBS, he is looking for the right FBS. He has like a 100 acre ranch outside of Commerce Texas that he has mentioned before. He is a Texas guy to his core. I imagine the only G5 gig he would take is ours or SMU’s. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

For the same reason Traylor won’t leave the state. Their Best attributes are they are Texas   They have a tremendous advantage in recruiting in Texas   Why live in Ruston and again only 2 next level jobs have been open since he’s been at sfa. Tex st and north Texas 

Traylor coached at Arkansas… he was at SMU as an AHC-RB went to Arkansas with the same title…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The point of my question is and was, if he is such a successful coach why are no other programs looking at him? 
 

i only bring this up because if other programs such as LAT have passed (and they seem to have a descent track record of football success) maybe it should be viewed as a red flag

Based on my knowledge of him, I don’t think he’d want to reside in Ruston, Louisiana.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Everyone can have different opinions, but nitpicking random Twitter users because it fits your narrative is questionable…

what it comes down is hiring a coach from the FCS, or hiring a coach who has had FBS success and has coached at a P5

Well if that is the case why not call Bobby Petrino? He’s had WAY more success than Fuente at both G5 and P5 outside of a little bike ride.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well, you’d have to read about the man and listen to him speak. He isn’t looking just to go FBS, he is looking for the right FBS. He has like a 100 acre ranch outside of Commerce Texas that he has mentioned before. He is a Texas guy to his core. I imagine the only G5 gig he would take is ours or SMU’s. 

You’re now interpreting and projecting what you think someone is potentially implying… 

all players, coaches etc will say they are looking for the best fit, its not a deal breaker when/if someone offers you a pay bump from current gig. 
 

We have seen here at UNT, say they are happy and they love the campus/staff/etc then they transfer a year or two later… it’s all BS sports talk lol

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.