Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

13 minutes ago, Anarkissed said:

Sam Houston was ineligible for the title. Here are the other teams that SFA had to compete against to win that title:

Abilene Christian

Southern Utah

Utah Tech

Tarleton

...That's it.

The WAC had two teams back out of their scheduled moves (Lamar and UIW) so they had to scramble. You compete against who is there. Same as those who were happy with the CUSA changes due to teams leaving that allowed a format change.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Someone help me understand the love for Carthel.  SFA hasn't beaten SHSU since 2010, even when Sam was  down in talent in 2022.  They haven't won the Southland or the WAC and got hammered by Rich Rodriguez in their opener.  

I will try. In 2013 Carthel took over a 1-9 TAMU-Commerce Lions program and went 7-5 in year 1. Four years later in 2017 he led them to the D2 national title. 

He was hired by SFA in 2019 to take over a 2-8 program. Since then….he has led them to their first playoff appearance since 2014 and their first conference title since 2010. He recruited the first back to back WAC player of the year to SFA, stealing him out of Dallas under the nose of SMU.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/11/21/loyalty-keys-sfa-to-wac-title?ref=article_preview_title

It has been quite a journey for SFA since Carthel took over following the 2018 season. His tenure with the Lumberjacks began with an academic scandal left over from the previous regime. As a result, SFA had multiple players removed from the bus before departing to play Baylor to start the 2019 season.

“It’s hard to win in college football, and this program has been through so much,” Carthel said. “We had suspensions and a major infraction case with scholarship reductions in 2019. Then we had the CoVID year, where we played five money games. We played more FBS games than any other FCS program in the last four years.”

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Couple of things. Sam Houston did have talent this year. But coach Keeler made a very smart move in red shirting players in a unique way. Knowing they could play in 4 games he kept players out in different combinations with the exception of the game against SFA. Also, SFA did win the WAC football championship this year.

Not sure how SFA won the conf title when ACU was 4-1 in conf play.  ACU must have been ineligible or there was a conf championship game.  .  

ACU   4-1     7-4

SHSU  3-2    5-4

SFA  3-2   6-5

rest were below .500 in conf play.  

I'd take Keeler over Carthel any day.  

Edited by BBA1989
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, p_phelps said:

How

That said, sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered. The 46-year-old can afford to be picky in his sabbatical, and only Fuente can say if the Mean Green check enough boxes.
From football scoop

the guy didn’t even want us! Not an attitude to win anyone over but he’s buddies with WB and it’s the easiest path

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

I will say this and it has been openly reported here on the board and the podcast…. Last year when the team was 1-6, and on the the edge of firing SL they likely started to make a list of potential coaches. Going to the bowl last year bought SL another year. But the short list of potential candidates was already made and likely saved. 

Fuente is good friends it has been said with Wren, and I’m sure Wren and him discussed about the school, going to American, etc. I’m sure Wren also had talked with Neal about this move as well. The firing of SL is likely something Neal and Wren had likely discussed for weeks as a worst case scenario. 

Wren is a very smart and tactical person from my good and bad run ins with him within the department. I would assume Wren gave Neal a list of candidates that would fill a need/target that Neal would want (and be a coach that an AD the would be happy to inherit).  Jared is also the most likely and logical candidate for the job, it if Fuente is the hire, I would assume Mosley is the guy as well so it’s a near seamless transition.

with that being said, Fuente has roots and connections to within the state, and I hope multiple of the names mentions here from small schools are brought onto this staff. Going from being a HC at SFA to an assistant here isn’t a huge move but getting that recruiting network that is already built is vastly needed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

So the end of the podcast, Doug said next time he comes to Dallas, he will hit Justin up. Does Justin Fuente already live in the metroplex? This sounds even more logical that it's going to happen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-3-justin-fuente-on-memphis-turnaround-paxton/id1358843497?i=1000586343000

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

50 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Not sure how SFA won the conf title when ACU was 4-1 in conf play.  ACU must have been ineligible or there was a conf championship game.  .  

ACU   4-1     7-4

SHSU  3-2    5-4

SFA  3-2   6-5

rest were below .500 in conf play.  

I'd take Keeler over Carthel any day.  

SFA beat ACU this year……..twice.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I want a coach that isn’t going to be here in 4 years because he was hired away… We need to learn our lesson from SLwith Kansas State.

We want and need the AD/Coaches to be successful and be out of here within a few years. Having coaches that progress upward gives us the ability to show success and upward movement is possible, along with collecting the buyout. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

So the end of the podcast, Doug said next time he comes to Dallas, he will hit Justin up. Does Justin Fuente already live in the metroplex? This sounds even more logical that it's going to happen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-3-justin-fuente-on-memphis-turnaround-paxton/id1358843497?i=1000586343000

@TheReal_jayD has already confirmed this.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I want a coach that isn’t going to be here in 4 years because he was hired away… We need to learn our lesson from SLwith Kansas State.

We want and need the AD/Coaches to be successful and be out of here within a few years. Having coaches that progress upward gives us the ability to show success and upward movement is possible, along with collecting the buyout. 

For a while, maybe.   Eventually, UNT needs to climb to a position like Houston where we are the destination these guys want to move to.   I truly believe we can.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

31 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

That said, sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered. The 46-year-old can afford to be picky in his sabbatical, and only Fuente can say if the Mean Green check enough boxes.
From football scoop

the guy didn’t even want us! Not an attitude to win anyone over but he’s buddies with WB and it’s the easiest path

That's 2 days old.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Hey man thanks so much that was very informative and much appreciated.  One follow-up question if you don’t mind, how good of a recruiter is coach Fue and not saying necessarily is he a good recruiter but does he understand the importance of it and can he delegate it by hiring good recruiters on his staff?  Out last coach had always been at high level programs before coming here and I think he underestimated how important recruiting is at the G5 level.

Here's the thing - when Coach Fu got to VT they hadn't been using the online recruiting services. Virginia Tech was the very last Power Five team to start using those things. Coach Beamer built the program on relationships with high school coaches in the state and didn't recognize the big shift that was happening in college football.

What's more, Virginia Tech had exactly two people working full time in their recruiting department. That's it. Even the bad ACC teams had at least six or seven guys focused on recruiting full time.

So Virginia Tech was years behind everybody else with regards to recruiting infrastructure. That's what Justin walked into.

Against those odds he inked the 26th rated class in 2017, 24th rated class in 2018, 27th rated class in 2019, and then the 59th ranked class in 2020. He had another top 25 ranked class committed for 2021 at the time Virginia Tech decided to let him go. Several of the top recruits in that class went elsewhere after that.

VT fans point to the 2020 class and say Coach can't recruit. But that's the only class that was outside of the top 30 composite rankings. And he did it with far less resources than pretty much every other Power Five program.

I'll add, I think his staff was really good at evals. Especially on the offensive line.

So I think Coach Fu gets a bad wrap on recruiting.

Plus, he's a Texas guy. That's where a lot of his high school relationships are. He managed to bring a number of Texas kids out to Virginia the last few years.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

From football scoop

A much better statement would have been, “he may talk with them”. Saying “there’s no guarantee he would take the job if offered”, is a BIG NEGATIVE to me. 
Some may see it as a pre negotiating tool. I see it as another case where we offer way over our heads and then get someone that coast for four years and there’s nothing we can do about it because we can’t afford the buyout. 

This is NOT our guy!!!!

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1