Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I want a recruiting animal. Not an X & O wizard wannabe. Those x & o "prophets" typically have an ego about recruiting. As in it doesn't ultimately matter what kids they land because of their wizardry. 

Give me a recruiting machine. 

It's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Johnnies and Joe's!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pellom said:

UNT have seemingly backed themselves into a “big name” corner by firing a successful (by national standards)  head coach in Seth Littrell. 

We are not "backed into a corner".  We are a high-profile, high-budget G5 position, in a recruiting hotbed, surrounded by one of the top media markets in the country.

https://footballscoop.com/news/north-texas-football-candidates-justin-fuente

The website Athletic Director U listed North Texas first among Conference USA AD jobs, and no worse than second among any of its nine categories ranging from brand perception, to donor support, to quality of life.

screen-shot-2022-12-05-at-103405-am.webp

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

Genuine question. If Seth was fired for plateauing and not continuing to elevate the program then why are so many unproven/mediocre candidates being talked about? I can get behind moving on from Seth if the narrative is that he wouldn't be able to hang with the top tier so we're going to get a top tier coach. But only two people on this list have experience being the head coach of a team that competed with the top tier. Why is there not more discussion on names like Paul Chryst, David Shaw, Ed Orgeron? Maybe we end up feeling like they're not the best fit but I'm just trying to figure out where the fan bases expectations are and why everyone's earlier outcry is not matching their current thought process.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Bronco Mendenhall 

I think he’s desperate to get back into coaching and the powers that be at UNT have seemingly backed themselves into a “big name” corner by firing a successful (by national standards)  head coach in Seth Littrell. 

You lost any credibility with that statement....

• Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My only problem with Mullen is that he hasn't been a HC at the G5 level.  He's used to having funds & fan support to do whatever the heck he wants at SEC schools.   He'd be pretty cash-strapped & shocked at fan engagement here compared to the SEC.

38 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Agreed that this would be the main area of concern. That positioning falls to Jared and Neal to adequately paint a realistic picture of the challenges and opportunities this role presents.

Would still gauge his interest and see if it might be a fit. Maybe he’s tired of the SEC culture/pressure cooker? 

I didn't realize Mullen was available.

I'd like the Mullen hire a lot. A few reasons why:

1. Successful head coaching experience showing he can win in multiple places
  2. He's still young and has a lot of career left in him so UNT likely isn't his last stop
  3. He's very familiar with what a legit D1 team looks like

In regards to the concern about not being a good fit for a G5 school because he's only coached at P5 schools with big budgets...hiring Lane Kiffin worked out really for both FAU and Lane. I also have a feeling that Tom Herman is going to work out really well for both FAU and Tom.

I could see Mullen, who's still young, wanting to get back to a P5 school but needing to "prove himself again" at a G5 before someone picks him up. UNT could be a perfect place to do that over the next few years.

Additionally, I really like that Mullen (and Patterson) know what a legit D1 team should look like in terms of roster and scheme. They have legitimate expectations for what players to go after and therefore are more likely to win the "big" games. 

Again, the size and speed requirements that Mullen or Patterson would have for recruiting compared to someone like Colby Carthel or Emmett Jones is probably dramatic—and that factor would absolutely be a difference maker in big games.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

Genuine question. If Seth was fired for plateauing and not continuing to elevate the program then why are so many unproven/mediocre candidates being talked about? I can get behind moving on from Seth if the narrative is that he wouldn't be able to hang with the top tier so we're going to get a top tier coach. But only two people on this list have experience being the head coach of a team that competed with the top tier. Why is there not more discussion on names like Paul Chryst, David Shaw, Ed Orgeron? Maybe we end up feeling like they're not the best fit but I'm just trying to figure out where the fan bases expectations are and why everyone's earlier outcry is not matching their current thought process.

Great questions. I fully agree with you on needing to look harder at proven head coaches.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

2. He's still young and has a lot of career left in him so UNT likely isn't his last stop

In regards to the concern about not being a good fit for a G5 school because he's only coached at P5 schools with big budgets...hiring Lane Kiffin worked out really for both FAU and Lane. I also have a feeling that Tom Herman is going to work out really well for both FAU and Tom.

I could see Mullen, who's still young, wanting to get back to a P5 school but needing to "prove himself again" at a G5 before someone picks him up. UNT could be a perfect place to do that over the next few years.

Additionally, I really like that Mullen (and Patterson) know what a legit D1 team should look like in terms of roster and scheme. They have legitimate expectations for what players to go after and therefore are more likely to win the "big" games. 

Again, the size and speed requirements that Mullen or Patterson would have for recruiting compared to someone like Colby Carthel or Emmett Jones is probably dramatic—and that factor would absolutely be a difference maker in big games.

Good lawd there’s a reason they are unemployed 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I would not be mad if Dan Mullen became the next UNT head coach, at all.  Just voicing my only concern.

Also, for your last point, Patterson made a living off of recruiting undersized guys and moving them around (especially defensively).  I don't think he has a size/speed requirement.  He just finds ballers & then finds places for them on the field.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

With regard specifically to the names you listed vs. most of the others, most of us are looking for Texas ties.

Fuente mullin and the likes have no idea where rusk Texas even is. You can bet Carthel knows. Probably even lost Mccown kid to Colorado. I want aggressive we can’t compete for sec talent. But you can bet sfa is under Mccown consideration due to the relationship already in place. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

OK, I given in. Willing to accept the following 😇 -
HC - J. Fuente
OC - E. Jones (with P. Cobbs at his side) - Strong Dallas are recruiting
DC - C. Carthel (and he brings M.Trice) - Strong East Texas recruiting

I dunno if he is the X's/O's guy for this (only serving as DC under his dad for years at WTAM).   He's been a HC for so long now.  It's his thing.  He clearly has charisma that his players love.   I don't know a lot about his tendencies in coaching on gamedays.  Is he heavy-handed in his defense on gamedays?

Just my opinion, the longer it goes without an announcement of a new head coach, I believe the worse it gets. We probably had our first choice turn us down and or cannot come to terms with him and our next choice.  I would have hoped and prayed that they had a short list of candidates before we parted ways with Seth….

• Skeptical Eagle 3

20 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Good lawd there’s a reason they are unemployed 

You do realize there's only two kinds of coaches.  Them that's been fired and them that's gonna be fired.  Even D. Sanders quoted that to his team when leaving JSU.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Just my opinion, the longer it goes without an announcement of a new head coach, I believe the worse it gets. We probably had our first choice turn us down and or cannot come to terms with him and our next choice.  I would have hoped and prayed that they had a short list of candidates before we parted ways with Seth….

Seth was relieved in the late hours of Friday or Saturday morning.  It's only Tuesday. Option 1 could have already said no thanks and they're working on option 2, or option 1 could have accepted and they could be ironing out details. We're not that far along. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno if he is the X's/O's guy for this (only serving as DC under his dad for years at WTAM).   He's been a HC for so long now.  It's his thing.  He clearly has charisma that his players love.   I don't know a lot about his tendencies in coaching on gamedays.  Is he heavy-handed in his defense on gamedays?

Good question. I have heard it mentioned when I watched them play that he was a "Defensive minded" coach. I believe he started off coaching D-line at ACU.