Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow.

I don’t understand why you’re here though. Are you scouring the internet looking for people to engage about Justin?   Or is there something you’ve been told?

You kinda come across as a relative or agent rather than a VATech fan.

Hah… I can understand that. But at the same time I doubt relatives or agents would spend any time on fan site message boards. What’s the upside?

I stumbled upon your community here looking up the remaining jobs Coach Fuente had been linked to as a potential candidate after the UAB and Tulsa jobs filled. And you guys are quite active so I figured I would pipe in.

I assure you I have no motives here. I am just a student of the game, and I happen to appreciate Coach Fu’s approach. It reminds me of vintage VT, except with a modern offense. 

I will be a fan of whichever program hires the guy. And I would be willing to bet that they will be incredibly successful.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Pellom said:

So, running all the posts in this thread through my message board filter, I would say Fuente looks to be the guy. Or at least he's in the running enough to send someone here to advocate on his behalf. I suppose it could also be the AD floating a trial balloon to see how it would go over. 

Would be a good hire, I think. And more importantly, I think it would send a message to the nation that North Texas can get a big name AND that North Texas is serious about competing in the AAC. 

I agree with this.   Now, is he interested??  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

I agree with this.   Now, is he interested??  

I think my first paragraph informs the second. 

He’s definitely interested. The guy posting here as a VT fan has to be related to Fuente in some way. I’ve never heard a fan call him “Coach Fu”.

Edited by Pellom
  • Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I think my first paragraph informs the second. 

He’s definitely interested. The guy posting here as a VT fan has to be related to Fuente in some way. I’ve never heard a fan call him “Coach Fu”.

Pretty common for VATech & Memphis fans to refer to him as “Fu”.   I dunno if that goes all the way back to TCU though.

• Upvote 4

I listened to the entire Fuente podcast and a few things stood out. 
1) He was close to Dickey. Called him his Assistant Coach at Memphis that taught him the ways of HC

2) He’s waiting for the right opportunity to work with people of the same mindset (whatever that means to him). I kind of understood it as “If WB was here, he’d be here”

Just wondering if the above points are positives or negatives for UNT. I really don’t know. I think he’d be a fantastic hire, if we were to land him. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, herewego said:

If it's fuente that's a very uninspiring pick. Seth and Fuente same package different wrapping. This will not move the wire in recruiting at all, going into AAC we need better. At least try Riley obviously that last name will resonate with prospective players/families more than fuente.

Fuente has won the AAC. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Fuente has won the AAC. 

I know man and he definitely turned around Memphis and laid a good foundation there, he just doesn't move the needle for me in recruiting or being a brand ambassador for the university.  If (or when) he's the pick I'm on board (well we all kinda have to be I guess) just highly skeptical and tired of having to hope my NFL team wins on Sundays just to salvage my sports weekends until basketball starts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, herewego said:

I know man and he definitely turned around Memphis and laid a good foundation there, he just doesn't move the needle for me in recruiting or being a brand ambassador for the university.  If (or when) he's the pick I'm on board (well we all kinda have to be I guess) just highly skeptical and tired of having to hope my NFL team wins on Sundays just to salvage my sports weekends until basketball starts. 

I think he should have stayed at memphis and he knows that. I think if thats the case he is not an option for UNT. VT was a horrible move. He is not a rah rah kind. But I have learned he is super inteligent and he has done a great job of identifing local guys that can recruit. UNT would have improved the HC positon and that all you can hope for with firing a coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think he should have stayed at memphis and he knows that. I think if thats the case he is not an option for UNT. VT was a horrible move. He is not a rah rah kind. But I have learned he is super inteligent and he has done a great job of identifing local guys that can recruit. UNT would have improved the HC positon and that all you can hope for with firing a coach. 

I'm warming up to him especially after seeing the other 5 on your list. What do you think about him and seth having so many mutual assistants over the years?  Do you have any concerns with him being the next HC?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I suspect Coach learned some valuable lessons from his time at VT though. We have all been there… It sucks at the time. But when the dust settles the adversity makes us stronger.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He can't be any less rah rah than Seth was.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Fuente has won the AAC. 

True, as did UCF and Cincinnati in a 3 way tie.

I don’t like what happened at VaTech, at all. He couldn’t win without Bud Foster, then he was flirting around with Baylor, then when he started flailing, demanded a year extension which the AD refused so he decided to negotiate his buyout down to quit/get fired. Just a really bad look that I don’t want for us.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

True, as did UCF and Cincinnati in a 3 way tie.

I don’t like what happened at VaTech, at all. He couldn’t win without Bud Foster, then he was flirting around with Baylor, then when he started flailing, demanded a year extension which the AD refused so he decided to negotiate his buyout down to quit/get fired. Just a really bad look that I don’t want for us.

I take it you rejected my suggestions regarding the Baylor thing… You are a tough customer, Cr.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1