Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

JayD is going to say _____ is great, until, of course, it's not. 

People are who they are. I don't expect to see a boost in recruiting if he is the guy. And that's very unfortunate. 

While I agree, it more likely not going to change anything… 

i also would like to give benefit of the doubt to someone like JayD who has been more often correct, when it comes to quality of coaching hires.. I just hope Neal expands the coaching budget for assistants to allow us to go get multiple layers of coaches who have records sid on field success and recruiting connections. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

i also would like to give benefit of the doubt to someone like JayD who has been more often correct, when it comes to quality of coaching hires.. I just hope Neal expands the coaching budget for assistants to allow us to go get multiple layers of coaches who have records sid on field success and recruiting connections. 

Then he's not a hirable coach... and we wasted 1.6M on firing Seth Littrell. Because Fuente is starting to feel a lot like Seth Littrell. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

JayD has a tip guy somewhere in the AD. But JayD also plays along with the game about how good things are or can be until it's beyond clear it's not working out. Probably so he can maintain that tip guy. 

So, IOW, he (and others) will laude this hire as a great hire that will do great things regardless of who it was or what their resume clearly states about them. 

With that said, I appreciate his fandom like I appreciate all the people on here. This is a small community, the only community, of diehard UNT fans. We need 10x the website traffic than we have to boost interest and fans.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you did your job? Thanks.

You bring up some good points, but the way you present them, along with the way you reply to those who differ from you makes you seem like a person with a hidden agenda. We all have opinions and guesses. No need to act like your opinion is superior to others.

I agree with everything you said, but the reason the stance taken/presented was sole based on the comment about individuals time on the board lol as if it that mattered or changed anything.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The Twitter you linked is handle has Coach in it… the bio is SFA Head Football Coach lol… it’s his work Twitter handle dear lord

Yes, because SFA was the only coaching job he has ever had. You are a certified dumbass. The SFA AD is going to be pissed when he realizes that his minions were tweeting about TAMU-Commerce before Carthel got to SFA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Oh football coach at Memphis? Oh my, somebody hold me up. Recruits don’t give a damn about if he coached at Memphis and unless you are offering them a spot at VT, they won’t care you coached there either.

The topic of coaching at Memphis is that we have often go up against Memphis for recruiting, and they have been a team that is and was ranked in the top 15 when Fuente was there.. Memphis while it may not be a sexy big name like VT, it is a school that has a high level of success when Fuente was there lol

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes, because SFA was the only coaching job he has ever had. You are a certified dumbass. The SFA AD is going to be pissed when he realizes that his minions were tweeting about TAMU-Commerce before Carthel got to SFA.

Ahhh yes the sweet ways of how people come on this board with different opinions… am I right @El Paso Eagle

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The way to improve recruitment is done with improving facilities, on field success, and quality coaches.. 

JayD even said on the podcast, the Coords if Fuente is linked to bringing in would be great hires. Their ability to develop players/gameplays and ability for them to bring in solid position coaches is what will make the difference. The position coaches need to be the hungry recruiters doing 60-75% of the work with the recruiting department, and the HC/Coords who seal it with their success and track record. Fuente has connections with Texas HS, he has had success at the G5 level and has produced 1st round/NFL everywhere he goes, and has coached at the P5 level. He has been open and honest about changes he would make and that VT was the opposite of what he had expected… he has a history here in Texas and knows what to expect (and has had a year to look at UNT as well along with getting Intel on program from Wren).

He can’t carry Carthels jock strap when you bring in Texas connections. And having a year to study us and yet still wasn’t sure he’d take the job. Coach fu does not have the program maintenance skills that at least I’m looking for. All the places he’s been and still no skills

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Then he's not a hirable coach... and we wasted 1.6M on firing Seth Littrell. Because Fuente is starting to feel a lot like Seth Littrell. 

The difference between SL when hired and Fuente currently…  Fuente has connections to Texas, Fuente has had success in the G5 and moved up to P5… 

the comment about recruiting was meant to imply and my bad for not going into detail.. that recruiting isn’t going to change for the most part from the Hc nor the overall profile/level or recruit. We aren’t magically going to hire a FCS coach or hot OC that is going to walk into a 4*/5* house for a visit and flip them… it’s on the coaches to take those 3* we get and coach them up and put them into positions to develop into more.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

He can’t carry Carthels jock strap when you bring in Texas connections. And having a year to study us and yet still wasn’t sure he’d take the job. Coach fu does not have the program maintenance skills that at least I’m looking for. All the places he’s been and still no skills

Can’t carry Carthels jock 😂 ya SFA couldn’t even beat SHSU and they redshirted all their starters lol… 

what a great coach he is, that his starters lose to another FCS back ups lol 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Fuente is a good coach, Seth is a good coach. They have a lot of mutual assistants over their time as head coaches ( I stopped counting at 6). They both lack in what the program needs. Brand recognition should always be at the forefront of our hires until it's not an issue. Until these coaching hire articles don't accidentally say north Texas state, Texas state or the mean Joe Greens. Last year we could've had herman or sanders this year if we get fuente and promote Mosley it's an awful look into our athletic department and lack of fixing the route issue of the university. We do these things and it's the most north Texas "change" we could have.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Ok, Mr. “Joined GMG 17 hours ago”, I’m sure you’ve bled green your whole life, have our best interest at heart, and will stick around even after the coaching search is finished.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

Folks like @TheReal_jayDand @MeanGreenTexanwho advocate for Fuente I trust their motives even when we disagree because they’ve been here suffering like the rest of us. Newbies that mysteriously show up a day or two into a coaching search? Forgive my skepticism.

bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Can’t carry Carthels jock 😂 ya SFA couldn’t even beat SHSU and they redshirted all their starters lol… 

what a great coach he is, that his starters lose to another FCS back ups lol 

Your so full of crap. They did not red shirt any starter for this game. Do a little research before your run your head. Not only were they at full strength, do you even know why they weren’t playoff eligible? They were already transitioning to cusa, meaning 22 more scholarship players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Ahhh yes the sweet ways of how people come on this board with different opinions… am I right @El Paso Eagle

By their nature, for the most part, fans on a school's fan forum do  get emotionally invested; and that's not a bad thing. We all have our own opinions and most of the times we are going to guess wrong more often than right. It's OK to disagree and then move on.

1 minute ago, herewego said:

Fuente is a good coach, Seth is a good coach. They have a lot of mutual assistants over their time as head coaches ( I stopped counting at 6). They both lack in what the program needs. Brand recognition should always be at the forefront of our hires until it's not an issue. Until these coaching hire articles don't accidentally say north Texas state, Texas state or the mean Joe Greens. Last year we could've had herman or sanders this year if we get fuente and promote Mosley it's an awful look into our athletic department and lack of fixing the route issue of the university. We do these things and it's the most north Texas "change" we could have.

I guess Jeff Traylor was that big "brand recognition" guy for UTSA??  Bill Clark at UAB??    No, but they're good football coaches, so they won.

As for Mosley, there were quite a few people mentioning him for the position back when RV was let go in 2016.  For those of you who are clamoring for guys like Carthel or Keeler, the possibility of Mosley being promoted should excite you based on what he did at ACU.   He laid the foundation for ACU going from D-2 to D-1.   I would not be upset if Mosley is made permanent.    But definitely need to engage with all interested parties.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The difference between SL when hired and Fuente currently…  Fuente has connections to Texas, Fuente has had success in the G5 and moved up to P5… .

Littrell had exactly one less year of coaching in Texas when he took over than Fuente does presently. If Littrell had gone to KSU after 2018 and failed, he would have the same resume as Fuente except he’d have had 2 more year’s experience coaching in Texas. Let us not fall into the trap of hiring the next Littrell just because he was familiar with our former athletic director, who to my knowledge, has NEVER hired a college football coach.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess Jeff Traylor was that big "brand recognition" guy for UTSA??  Bill Clark at UAB??    No, but they're good football coaches, so they won.

I don’t know about Clark but Traylor had a big name attached to him when he was hired because of his time coaching Gilmer and at UTexas. He was well known, not nationally, but definitely in Texas.

29 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Your so full of crap. They did not red shirt any starter for this game. Do a little research before your run your head. Not only were they at full strength, do you even know why they weren’t playoff eligible? They were already transitioning to cusa, meaning 22 more scholarship players. 

Lmfaooooo the east Texas tin foil hats are out in force today lol

• Downvote 5

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for Mosley, there were quite a few people mentioning him for the position back when RV was let go in 2016.  For those of you who are clamoring for guys like Carthel or Keeler, the possibility of Mosley being promoted should excite you based on what he did at ACU.   He laid the foundation for ACU going from D-2 to D-1.   I would not be upset if Mosley is made permanent.    But definitely need to engage with all interested parties.

While I get the whole process, I would assume that Wren (if he is a good guy and a friend or NS), he would have been open to NS about potential discussions with WV.. is it crazy to think that? 

I would hope/assume if Wren was open about what was going on behind closed door, the process likely has already been started looking for an AD. With that said, I would assume the open interview process, etc is normal (I don’t recall any other schools having an AD in waiting tag for someone). 

I think JM is likely the guy for the job as well, but also kind of worrisome that Wren didn’t poach him or take him with him to WV and this process drags out longer than expected.

Does anyone recall how long the process was for both gigs (HC and AD) after it was announced to the public that search firms were helping?

• Downvote 2

Thank you @Cr1028 & @TalonsUp for trying to point out the facts and understanding our unique culture.

Anyways, I want a Carthel or GJ Kinne or Johnny Jones or Grant McCasland type coach who believes in their system, who wins, who sells this program to fans and recruits and won’t come here spoiled and is proud of what we have.  Because I only have a reasonable guess who the decisions sit with I’m not getting my hopes up high, although I’ll support whoever it is.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1