Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Fuente appears not to be a hungry recruiter, likes to be an offensive wizard, couldn't consistently maintain a developed QB, and has a vanilla personality. Any of this sounding familiar?js

It shouldn’t be the HC to be the hungry recruiter… it should be the position coaches and recruiting department which we seem to have a highly thought of recruiting department. 

yes the HC has input, but the HC should not be the one day in day out chasing random 3* At X position. It should be the position/Coords. The HC should be the one helping to seal the deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

It shouldn’t be the HC to be the hungry recruiter… it should be the position coaches and recruiting department which we seem to have a highly thought of recruiting department. 

yes the HC has input, but the HC should not be the one day in day out chasing random 3* At X position. It should be the position/Coords. The HC should be the one helping to seal the deal. 

HC has his tentacles in everything. If he didn't drive recruiting home it's because he chose not to spend the time and commit his energy in and with that department. It ALL falls on the HC. He's either coaching it or allowing it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Patterson isn’t going to take a DC job, or at-least I doubt he would. He made plenty of money while atTCU and is making a descent amount now with UT it was said. 

i would more than willing to have someone like Emmitt on the staff but he does not from what I have seen, is experience with play calling. Yes it can be learned, but we have seen even with the most successful offenses we have had inexperienced OC have hot and cold streaks. (I would love for Emmitt to be on the staff for his connections alone but we need to bring in experienced and proven coaches. The American is not going to be like CUSA and breaking in a new QB and potentially a new supporting cast as well is enough, before adding in an inexperienced play caller).

How would I Bring in emmitt, top his salary at Texh give him Co-OC and pair him with an experienced OC, and in a year or two, that OC leaves and Emmitt could take over

also, yes the suggestions I have said for the staff would be potential very expensive, but the idea is that we had countless issues in the past with inexperienced Coords. It’s fine to have a 1st time inside WR coach or TE, etc coach but lacking experience at play caller has hurt us. I’m sure many of us can agree and would be more willing to donated/get tickets etc if the coaching pool was something that gave us hope.

He may, he and funete are like each other, he makes 150k at Texas, this would be much closer to home for him with a pay pump and get back into coaching 

4 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

So we are going to hire a big splash guy and we aren’t looking to leverage this guy in at home visits and aggressively recruiting 3* kids. That’s about the stupidest no wonder we’ve sucked so badly at recruiting with this mentality. If I’m a high school coach wanting to put my guys in the best schools, You come at me with the TE coach I see where I rank and your definitely not seeing my best. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Ok, Mr. “Joined GMG 17 hours ago”, I’m sure you’ve bled green your whole life, have our best interest at heart, and will stick around even after the coaching search is finished.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

Folks like @TheReal_jayDand @MeanGreenTexanwho advocate for Fuente I trust their motives even when we disagree because they’ve been here suffering like the rest of us. Newbies that mysteriously show up a day or to into a coaching search? Forgive my skepticism.

Lmfao I made a profile here because Of SL firing.. I was on the board in the past but got outted directly to the AD by his forum MODs back in the day when I was interning at the AD department. 

the idea just because someone is new and has a different opinion so you just assume it’s a bad actor (or the agent for candidate you don’t like LMFAO) as well makes you come across as that crazy EX gf who accuses you cheating, then it turns out she was lol. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I’m sorry to hear you aren’t hungry Justin. Carthel is, literally and figuratively.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

So we are going to hire a big splash guy and we aren’t looking to leverage this guy in at home visits and aggressively recruiting 3* kids. That’s about the stupidest no wonder we’ve sucked so badly at recruiting with this mentality. If I’m a high school coach wanting to put my guys in the best schools, You come at me with the TE coach I see where I rank and your definitely not seeing my best. 

Sure, someone like Fuente can and will go on some in home visits, but he isn’t going to be the main recruiter such as what was implied. Also, talking to Kids parents, telling them he coached at Memphis, TCU, was HC at VT is much more impressive than oh my best coaching gif was UIW…

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Lmfao I made a profile here because Of SL firing.. I was on the board in the past but got outted directly to the AD by his forum MODs back in the day when I was interning at the AD department. 

the idea just because someone is new and has a different opinion so you just assume it’s a bad actor (or the agent for candidate you don’t like LMFAO) as well makes you come across as that crazy EX gf who accuses you cheating, then it turns out she was lol. 

And it makes you sound like you do not care about the program except to come aboard and tout one particular candidate.

Edited by Cr1028

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sorry to hear you aren’t hungry Justin. Carthel is, literally and figuratively.

What you’re trying to imply, the football department media team tweeting a photo of a steak, is him being a hungry recruiter? Or the media department tweeting about weekend visits makes him a hungry recruiter… because SL would tweet about recruiting weekends and we know how that turned out…

• Downvote 2

Sure, someone like Fuente can and will go on some in home visits, but he isn’t going to be the main recruiter such as what was implied. Also, talking to Kids parents, telling them he coached at Memphis, TCU, was HC at VT is much more impressive than oh my best coaching gif was UIW…

Oh football coach at Memphis? Oh my, somebody hold me up. Recruits don’t give a damn about if he coached at Memphis and unless you are offering them a spot at VT, they won’t care you coached there either.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

It's not about him doing 50 in home visits. It's about him, imo, not having closing ability for marquee recruits. It's about him not overseeing an excelling recruiting department. This hire has to hit. This hire has to have the ability to recruit at higher levels than what we're accustomed to seeing. Fuente basically held the recruiting at serve wherever he went or regressed. Not sure we can afford that, literally. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cr1028 said:

And it makes you sound like you do that care about the program except to come aboard and tout one particular candidate.

Lmfao I’ve done more for the program as an intern than most people on this board Have done as alumni… 

I’ve touted multiple candidates, just not FCS guys who we “think” are fits because the tweeted a photo of a steak lol

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

What you’re trying to imply, the football department media team tweeting a photo of a steak, is him being a hungry recruiter? Or the media department tweeting about weekend visits makes him a hungry recruiter… because SL would tweet about recruiting weekends and we know how that turned out…

Uh no, that is his personal twitter, he doesn’t need a media department to connect with people like mr. Important Fuente.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Lmfao I’ve done more for the program as an intern than most people on this board Have done as alumni… 

I’ve touted multiple candidates, just not FCS guys who we “think” are fits because the tweeted a photo of a steak lol

Haha ok, intern guy. I’m sure your statue is being unveiled outside the athletic center any day now.

• Upvote 2

We like having you here.  Welcome.  Enjoying reading your posts as they contain a lot of insight.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Pellom said:

I’m going to go off the board. 

Bronco Mendenhall 

I think he’s desperate to get back into coaching and the powers that be at UNT have seemingly backed themselves into a “big name” corner by firing a successful (by national standards)  head coach in Seth Littrell. 

I'm not sure a .500 record over seven years qualifies as successful by national standards.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's not about him doing 50 in home visits. It's about him, imo, not having closing ability for marquee recruits. It's about him not overseeing an excelling recruiting department. This hire has to hit. This hire has to have the ability to recruit at higher levels than what we're accustomed to seeing. Fuente basically held the recruiting at serve wherever he went or regressed. Not sure we can afford that, literally. 

The way to improve recruitment is done with improving facilities, on field success, and quality coaches.. 

JayD even said on the podcast, the Coords if Fuente is linked to bringing in would be great hires. Their ability to develop players/gameplays and ability for them to bring in solid position coaches is what will make the difference. The position coaches need to be the hungry recruiters doing 60-75% of the work with the recruiting department, and the HC/Coords who seal it with their success and track record. Fuente has connections with Texas HS, he has had success at the G5 level and has produced 1st round/NFL everywhere he goes, and has coached at the P5 level. He has been open and honest about changes he would make and that VT was the opposite of what he had expected… he has a history here in Texas and knows what to expect (and has had a year to look at UNT as well along with getting Intel on program from Wren).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

The way to improve recruitment is done with improving facilities, on field success, and quality coaches.. 

JayD even said on the podcast, the Coords if Fuente is linked to bringing in would be great hires. Their ability to develop players/gameplays and ability for them to bring in solid position coaches is what will make the difference. The position coaches need to be the hungry recruiters doing 60-75% of the work with the recruiting department, and the HC/Coords who seal it with their success and track record. Fuente has connections with Texas HS, he has had success at the G5 level and has produced 1st round/NFL everywhere he goes, and has coached at the P5 level. He has been open and honest about changes he would make and that VT was the opposite of what he had expected… he has a history here in Texas and knows what to expect (and has had a year to look at UNT as well along with getting Intel on program from Wren).

JayD is going to say _____ is great, until, of course, it's not. 

People are who they are. I don't expect to see a boost in recruiting if he is the guy. And that's very unfortunate. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Uh no, that is his personal twitter, he doesn’t need a media department to connect with people like mr. Important Fuente.

The Twitter you linked is handle has Coach in it… the bio is SFA Head Football Coach lol… it’s his work Twitter handle dear lord

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Haha ok, intern guy. I’m sure your statue is being unveiled outside the athletic center any day now.

Lol I would gladly pass on that after some of the office politics that the AD office had/still has to this day.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I’ve done more for the program as an intern than most people on this board Have done as alumni… 

So you did your job? Thanks.

You bring up some good points, but the way you present them, along with the way you reply to those who differ from you makes you seem like a person with a hidden agenda. We all have opinions and guesses. No need to act like your opinion is superior to others.

• Upvote 1