Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

1 hour ago, BBA1989 said:

Not sure how SFA won the conf title when ACU was 4-1 in conf play.  ACU must have been ineligible or there was a conf championship game.  .  

ACU   4-1     7-4

SHSU  3-2    5-4

SFA  3-2   6-5

rest were below .500 in conf play.  

I'd take Keeler over Carthel any day.  

I'm guessing you got the standings from ESPN? They are not correct. The Sam Houston games did not count as conference games. Both teams were 3-1 in "conference" and SFA beat ACU.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jwVA said:

Coach Beamer built the program on relationships with high school coaches in the state

This is why I like Carthel so much.

16 minutes ago, jwVA said:

VT fans point to the 2020 class and say Coach can't recruit.

Plus, he's a Texas guy. That's where a lot of his high school relationships are. He managed to bring a number of Texas kids out to Virginia the last few years.

I thought you were a VT fan. Why do you refer to them as if they don’t include you? Were you satisfied with 5 win seasons or are you just pretending to be a VT fan to advocate and makes excuses for Fuente?

Also, 4 years at TCU doesn’t make you a “Texas guy”. He is an Oklahoma guy unless you want to consider him a carpetbagger everywhere sort of guy.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm guessing you got the standings from ESPN? They are not correct. The Sam Houston games did not count as conference games. Both teams were 3-1 in "conference" and SFA beat ACU.

….twice. Once in non-conference and the other in conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input.

You seem to be in the minority about Fuente from what I've seen of other VT fans. A lot of people are saying he left the cupboard bare and really floundered the last couple of years.

Outside of the difficulty of following someone like Beamer and expectations, what went wrong? Personnel? Game Planning? Bad Coaching hires?

Yep – I am absolutely in the minority. I tried to tell them they were making a mistake… they slandered me at the time. But I think they realize it now. 

I just commented on the recruiting situation in an above post. In addition to that Coach Fu had a couple major hurdles.

The first is that VT’s recruiting fell off in a big way in the last several years of Coach Beamer’s tenure.

Fu inherited a good team in 2016. And had three offensive players not tried to go pro early after that year, they would have been a top ten team in 2017.

But then nearly the entire defense graduated. And of the three guys who didn’t graduate, two of them got in trouble over the summer and were suspended. They had exactly one returning starter on defense in 2018. The new guys were all freshmen and sophomores. And they probably weren't as talented as VT recruits in the past.

That was a tough year. And DC Bud Foster had some major health problems that year to boot. That led to what was the only subpar season of Coach’s tenure at VT outside of the Covid year, which I don’t count.

They were one win away from getting back to the ACC Championship in 2019. And they had a good recruiting class coming in after that.

But long-time DC Bud Foster retired. I believe Justin wanted to hire Barry Odom as the replacement. Odom was his DC at Memphis. But he couldn’t afford him at VT.

Fuente’s staff budget was less than $3.2 million. The OC was making less than $500k. And they had to promote a new DC from one of the position coaches willing to work for a similar amount.

So VT had a new DC going into 2020. He’s a good coach and a good man… but he wasn’t ready for the role yet. AND then we had the Covid fiasco which cancelled Spring ball and made Fall camp a revolving door. It was the perfect storm.

That was the one year VT’s recruiting class wasn’t great too. So the fans wanted to run Coach Fu out of town after 2020. The tribal mentality set in.

Then if you look at 2021 – Virginia Tech started the season 4-4 with three losses that came on the final play of the game. That includes a loss to highly ranked Notre Dame in the final seconds.

They could have easily been 7 and 1. But the fans absolutely rebelled and it seems the administration acquiesced.

Ironically, VT finally agreed to pony up for assistant coaches when they hired the new coach. This year’s budget is over $5.2 million. That’s a 65% increase… and Virginia Tech put the worst-coached team on the field this year that I’ve ever seen. And I grew up going to games back in the late 80s when VT was awful.

Had they allowed Coach Fu to hire an experienced DC in 2020 I think he’s still coaching there today.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This is why I like Carthel so much.

I thought you were a VT fan. Why do you refer to them as if they don’t include you? Were you satisfied with 5 win seasons or are you just pretending to be a VT fan to advocate and makes excuses for Fuente?

Also, 4 years at TCU doesn’t make you a “Texas guy”. He is an Oklahoma guy unless you want to consider him a carpetbagger everywhere sort of guy.

I don't subscribe to the tribal mentality partner.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jwVA said:

Hey Friends – Virginia Tech guy here. I stumbled upon this site searching for Coach Fuente’s likely landing spot now that UAB and Tulsa are out of the picture.

Just to add a third party perspective to this conversation – Justin would be a homerun hire for UNT. He got a raw deal the last couple years at VT… but none of that is a reflection on the man’s coaching ability.

Virginia Tech had been floundering the last several years under Coach Beamer. They barely eked out a 6-6 season in 2015.

Then Coach Fu came in and injected new energy into the exact same roster. All he added was a JUCO QB and a complimentary offensive system… and the same Virginia Tech team that barely got to six wins the year before came within twenty-five yards of beating national champion Clemson in the 2016 ACC Championship game.

And that may have been Clemson’s best team ever.

Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman, big Mike Williams, Ray-Ray McCloud, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, and Jordan Leggett were their top skill people. Every single one of those guys is in the NFL right now. Half of that team’s defense went pro as well.

Watching that game, VT was dramatically outclassed from a talent perspective. But the coaching and the “want to” were superior.

Coach Fu admitted that he lost his identity a little bit after a few years at VT.

Some of that has to do with following somebody else’s legend. And some of it stemmed from the culture and support (or lack thereof) from the administration. Virginia Tech football was not in good shape from a modern operational standpoint when he got there.

All that’s to say – if UNT hires Coach Fu, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The guy’s brilliant when it comes to offensive schemes. He’s also great at overall gameplanning. That’s why he ate Mack Brown’s lunch year after year.

And don’t let Justin’s media persona fool you – he brings the energy. The players love to play for him.

So if Coach Fu is the new head man at UNT, you can count me as a new fan. I’ll be the only guy walking around in Virginia wearing a Mean Green shirt… and I guess I’ll have to brush up on the program’s history.

That’s how much I think about Coach Fuente and his approach to the game.

Edit - looks like you may have answered some of my questions.

I recently made a post questioning what happened after the first 2 years of Fuente's start at VT.  I wondered if he had inherited a good team and simply reaped the results once they were seniors and with a good QB. 

I noted that in his 4th season (8-5) he had wins over  1-11 ODU and 2-10 Rhode Island along with a loss to 5-7 Duke and that was after a 6-7 finish in the previous season.   You say he lost his identity after a few years, but it looks like things started going south in year 3.  Did this affect his game planning/strategy or recruiting?

Also, you say the admin had a lot to do with it.  Was the admin support demoralizing or simply not providing the necessary resources?  We're VERY familiar with that problem, having lived through it for decades but we've finally gotten support since NS became president in 2014.

What's Fuente like as a person?

Does he support being "Selfless. Tough. Disciplined"? (sorry, inside joke)

Did he have many disciplinary issues with players?

Thanks for stopping by.  Oh, and regarding history, have a coke and a smile and feel free to browse our site.

https://miro.medium.com/max/450/1*Ko8EXeBE5lGU1nrJm5SMBg.jpeg

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

A much better statement would have been, “he may talk with them”. Saying “there’s no guarantee he would take the job if offered”, is a BIG NEGATIVE to me. 
Some may see it as a pre negotiating tool. I see it as another case where we offer way over our heads and then get someone that coast for four years and there’s nothing we can do about it because we can’t afford the buyout. 

This is NOT our guy!!!!

"...sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered."

No one quoted him as saying that.  It's just some unnamed "sources".

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kj86 said:

"...sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered."

No one quoted him as saying that.  It's just some unnamed "sources".

So you're telling me that everything that you read on the internet is not true? How can this be? Football scoop needs clicks like everyone this time of year. They put out great content but they also have salaries to pay.

No No No GIF

Edited by jtm0097

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

the guy didn’t even want us! 

Woah! you read into that paragraph entirely wrong.  Fuente doesn't want to avoid Denton.  He is just going to be interested in finding the right fit.

Let's take your line of thinking further: would it bother you if I suggested that people take our job only because they want a HC position, that they don't want Denton?

Carthel is the only candidate I've heard that is interested in Denton

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

Oh he must have changed his mind! It doesn’t matter how long ago the man wasn’t wanting us

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

A much better statement would have been, “he may talk with them”. Saying “there’s no guarantee he would take the job if offered”, is a BIG NEGATIVE to me. 
Some may see it as a pre negotiating tool. I see it as another case where we offer way over our heads and then get someone that coast for four years and there’s nothing we can do about it because we can’t afford the buyout. 

This is NOT our guy!!!!

IF** he did say this..WHat was he supposed to say. Helll yeah i am going to UNT... welll they havent fired their coach yet... but its a done deal?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, TalonsUp said:

That said, sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered. The 46-year-old can afford to be picky in his sabbatical, and only Fuente can say if the Mean Green check enough boxes.
From football scoop

the guy didn’t even want us! Not an attitude to win anyone over but he’s buddies with WB and it’s the easiest path

That's a bold assumption.  This was never, ever stated by Fuente.  It is something reported based on "sources close to Fuente" and it doesn't say he doesn't want the job.  You are stating that because you are in the Carthel Camp.  Be honest.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

If it's fuente that's a very uninspiring pick. Seth and Fuente same package different wrapping. This will not move the wire in recruiting at all, going into AAC we need better. At least try Riley obviously that last name will resonate with prospective players/families more than fuente.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, TalonsUp said:

That said, sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered. 
From football scoop

This doesn't concern me. If Fuente said "there's no guarantee" he'd accept, it doesn't imply that he doesn't have a desire to coach here.

I've been in the interview process with companies that I liked and never guaranteed (privately or publicly) that I'd take a job offer during the interview process. This is for a couple reasons:

A) There's no guarantee you're going to get an offer and there's no incentive to come across as desperate.

• Additionally, in the case of UNT's coaching search, if a coaching candidate publicly states they're guaranteed to accept a certain job it could prevent other schools from interviewing them. Why would they ever make a statement that could prevent another school from interviewing them when they don't even know if UNT is going to offer them?

B) Offers can look very different than what you may have in mind, so you assess an offer when you get it—not before.

• If the offer isn't good or doesn't fit what you're looking for, you don't accept it. If you think the offer is good and you believe the opportunity is a good fit, you accept.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Something Seth Littrell  and Justin Fuente’ head coaching careers have in common.

They both managed to give up leads late in the game to the same 4-8  Old Dominion team in 2018, with NT giving up 10 points in the 4th and VT giving up 28.

Rick

If we hire Fuente it’s all over for UNT football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

This doesn't concern me. If Fuente said "there's no guarantee" he'd accept, it doesn't imply that he doesn't have a desire to coach here.

I've been in the interview process with companies that I liked and never guaranteed (privately or publicly) that I'd take a job offer during the interview process. This is for a couple reasons:

A) There's no guarantee you're going to get an offer and there's no incentive to come across as desperate.

• Additionally, in the case of UNT's coaching search, if a coaching candidate publicly states they're guaranteed to accept a certain job it could prevent other schools from interviewing them. Why would they ever make a statement that could prevent another school from interviewing them when they don't even know if UNT is going to offer them?

B) Offers can look very different than what you may have in mind, so you assess an offer when you get it—not before.

• If the offer isn't good or doesn't fit what you're looking for, you don't accept it. If you think the offer is good and you believe the opportunity is a good fit, you accept.

I think it will depend on the staffs budget. We need to bump that up alot

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That's a bold assumption.  This never, ever stated that.  You are stating that because you are in the Carthel Camp.  Be honest.

Ok all I did was copy and paste a paragraph from football scoop. But I sure didn’t feel warm and fuzzy after reading it. And yes of the contestants I’m a Carthel camper

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not in the Fuente camp, but why do you state this?

He's being a little dramatic, we would still be competitive probably even a little more so than with Littrel. I just think they are very similar in everyway, this move could've been made last year and I would have been more accepting of it. Seth was in it this year so why make a change when the follow up is very similar. Just seems like a waste of money for the sake of change. 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, herewego said:

He's being a little dramatic, we would still be competitive probably even a little more so than with Littrel. I just think they are very similar in everyway, this move could've been made last year and I would have been more accepting of it. Seth was in it this year so why make a change when the follow up is very similar. Just seems like a waste of money for the sake of change. 

The guy turned a dumpster fire Memphis program into one of the best in the AAC. I don’t love how his personality with the media is similar to Littrell, but you can’t deny he has the EXACT experience we’re looking for. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The guy literally turned a dumpster fire Memphis program into one of the best in the AAC. I don’t love how his personality with the media is similar to Littrell, but you can’t deny he has the EXACT experience we’re looking for. 

Yeah, that’s a very funny comparison:  Seth = Fuente.   The hardware (both individual & team) disagrees.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't much like what Carthel has done at UT Nacogdoches. I do think we should get a very successful current HC from FCS, Sun Belt or MAC. Like Grant hire. Just follow the lead. I dont know if any of the guys on this list fit that; will look. I also still think they need permanent AD in place first. Like Auburn did.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1