Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

16 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Fuente mullin and the likes have no idea where rusk Texas even is. You can bet Carthel knows. Probably even lost Mccown kid to Colorado. I want aggressive we can’t compete for sec talent. But you can bet sfa is under Mccown consideration due to the relationship already in place. 

Fuente was at TCU from 2007-2011. There were several East Texas kids signed during that period. I'm pretty sure he knows the area.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Just my opinion, the longer it goes without an announcement of a new head coach, I believe the worse it gets. We probably had our first choice turn us down and or cannot come to terms with him and our next choice.  I would have hoped and prayed that they had a short list of candidates before we parted ways with Seth….

I have a feeling Neal and company did not make a spur of the moment decision. Let the process work out. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Fuente mullin and the likes have no idea where rusk Texas even is. You can bet Carthel knows. Probably even lost Mccown kid to Colorado. I want aggressive we can’t compete for sec talent. But you can bet sfa is under Mccown consideration due to the relationship already in place. 

I get that you like Carthel (he might be a great fit - honestly don’t know) but offer up some other suggestions of some coaches you think UNT should also consider??

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I have a feeling Neal and company did not make a spur of the moment decision. Let the process work out. 

I agree. This seems very calculated unlike what the general population believes. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a shortlist going and reached out the potential candidates already to let them know of our interest. 

• Upvote 1

I'd take Garrett Riley or Emmett Jones over any of these other potential candidates.  I just hope they get a good coach who gets them over the hump and begins winning.  if he moves on to bigger and greener pastures, so be it.  That means he was successful here.  Anxiously awaiting an announcement.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Someone help me understand the love for Carthel.  SFA hasn't beaten SHSU since 2010, even when Sam was  down in talent in 2022.  They haven't won the Southland or the WAC and got hammered by Rich Rodriguez in their opener.  

Edited by BBA1989
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Someone help me understand the love for Carthel.  SFA hasn't beaten SHSU since 2010, even when Sam was  down in talent in 2022.  They haven't won the Southland or the WAC and got hammered by Rich Rodriguez in their opener.  

Don't even worry about it. If we hire a .500 FCS coach to replace our .500 FBS coach, well........ you can fill in the blanks. I agree with what was said before. You don't make this move and just do a midrange blah hire. This needs to be a big time home run. 

• Upvote 2

I have spent my afternoon listening to the All Ball podcast that Doug Gottlieb did with Justin Fuente. I want this guy to be our HC. He talks about his time at Memphis, Va Tech, etc. He talks about running Gary Patterson workouts that he learned from TCU, simplifying his offense, and beating the hell out of SMU. He sounds like a stand up guy. Sign me up. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-3-justin-fuente-on-memphis-turnaround-paxton/id1358843497?i=1000586343000

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I get that you like Carthel (he might be a great fit - honestly don’t know) but offer up some other suggestions of some coaches you think UNT should also consider??

Fair enough. 
kc keeler. But he’s cusa and he’s not looking for a challenge he’s riding there and as long as he is under consideration it’s more profitable for him to stay put

van Malone plenty of experience but not HC experience but is the DC of the big12 champs

but I keep coming back to Carthel because we as a fan base can get behind him. Nil deals can be won over. Texas high school coaches love him not to mention a lot of big 12 coaches (portal acquisitions). He’s had to recruit those kids that aren’t p5 and it looks like he’s putting a few in the league. (Db for dolphins, Xavier Gibson and bj Thompson). Nobody was looking at Kator. He stole Gibson from smut and he picked up Thompson from Baylor after his freshman year. All by relationships 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Couple of things. Sam Houston did have talent this year. But coach Keeler made a very smart move in red shirting players in a unique way. Knowing they could play in 4 games he kept players out in different combinations with the exception of the game against SFA. Also, SFA did win the WAC football championship this year.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, jwVA said:

Hey Friends – Virginia Tech guy here. I stumbled upon this site searching for Coach Fuente’s likely landing spot now that UAB and Tulsa are out of the picture.

Just to add a third party perspective to this conversation – Justin would be a homerun hire for UNT. He got a raw deal the last couple years at VT… but none of that is a reflection on the man’s coaching ability.

Virginia Tech had been floundering the last several years under Coach Beamer. They barely eked out a 6-6 season in 2015.

Then Coach Fu came in and injected new energy into the exact same roster. All he added was a JUCO QB and a complimentary offensive system… and the same Virginia Tech team that barely got to six wins the year before came within twenty-five yards of beating national champion Clemson in the 2016 ACC Championship game.

And that may have been Clemson’s best team ever.

Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman, big Mike Williams, Ray-Ray McCloud, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, and Jordan Leggett were their top skill people. Every single one of those guys is in the NFL right now. Half of that team’s defense went pro as well.

Watching that game, VT was dramatically outclassed from a talent perspective. But the coaching and the “want to” were superior.

Coach Fu admitted that he lost his identity a little bit after a few years at VT.

Some of that has to do with following somebody else’s legend. And some of it stemmed from the culture and support (or lack thereof) from the administration. Virginia Tech football was not in good shape from a modern operational standpoint when he got there.

All that’s to say – if UNT hires Coach Fu, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The guy’s brilliant when it comes to offensive schemes. He’s also great at overall gameplanning. That’s why he ate Mack Brown’s lunch year after year.

And don’t let Justin’s media persona fool you – he brings the energy. The players love to play for him.

So if Coach Fu is the new head man at UNT, you can count me as a new fan. I’ll be the only guy walking around in Virginia wearing a Mean Green shirt… and I guess I’ll have to brush up on the program’s history.

That’s how much I think about Coach Fuente and his approach to the game.

Hey man thanks so much that was very informative and much appreciated.  One follow-up question if you don’t mind, how good of a recruiter is coach Fue and not saying necessarily is he a good recruiter but does he understand the importance of it and can he delegate it by hiring good recruiters on his staff?  Out last coach had always been at high level programs before coming here and I think he underestimated how important recruiting is at the G5 level.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, jwVA said:

Hey Friends – Virginia Tech guy here. I stumbled upon this site searching for Coach Fuente’s likely landing spot now that UAB and Tulsa are out of the picture.

Just to add a third party perspective to this conversation – Justin would be a homerun hire for UNT. He got a raw deal the last couple years at VT… but none of that is a reflection on the man’s coaching ability.

Virginia Tech had been floundering the last several years under Coach Beamer. They barely eked out a 6-6 season in 2015.

Then Coach Fu came in and injected new energy into the exact same roster. All he added was a JUCO QB and a complimentary offensive system… and the same Virginia Tech team that barely got to six wins the year before came within twenty-five yards of beating national champion Clemson in the 2016 ACC Championship game.

Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman, big Mike Williams, Ray-Ray McCloud, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, and Jordan Leggett were their top skill people. Every single one of those guys is in the NFL right now. Half of that team’s defense went pro as well.

Watching that game, VT was dramatically outclassed from a talent perspective. But the coaching and the “want to” were superior.

Coach Fu admitted that he lost his identity a little bit after a few years at VT.

Some of that has to do with following somebody else’s legend. And some of it stemmed from the culture and support (or lack thereof) from the administration. Virginia Tech football was not in good shape from a modern operational standpoint when he got there.

The guy’s brilliant when it comes to offensive schemes. He’s also great at overall gameplanning. That’s why he ate Mack Brown’s lunch year after year.

And don’t let Justin’s media persona fool you – he brings the energy. The players love to play for him.

So if Coach Fu is the new head man at UNT, you can count me as a new fan. I’ll be the only guy walking around in Virginia wearing a Mean Green shirt… and I guess I’ll have to brush up on the program’s history.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input.

You seem to be in the minority about Fuente from what I've seen of other VT fans. A lot of people are saying he left the cupboard bare and really floundered the last couple of years.

Outside of the difficulty of following someone like Beamer and expectations, what went wrong? Personnel? Game Planning? Bad Coaching hires?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jwVA said:

Thank you for your insight. 

Did he recruit well? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Couple of things. Sam Houston did have talent this year. But coach Keeler made a very smart move in red shirting players in a unique way. Knowing they could play in 4 games he kept players out in different combinations with the exception of the game against SFA. Also, SFA did win the WAC football championship this year.

Sam Houston was ineligible for the title. Here are the other teams that SFA had to compete against to win that title:

Abilene Christian

Southern Utah

Utah Tech

Tarleton

...That's it.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

25 minutes ago, jwVA said:

17 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I have spent my afternoon listening to the All Ball podcast that Doug Gottlieb did with Justin Fuente. I want this guy to be our HC. He talks about his time at Memphis, Va Tech, etc. He talks about running Gary Patterson workouts that he learned from TCU, simplifying his offense, and beating the hell out of SMU. He sounds like a stand up guy. Sign me up. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-pt-3-justin-fuente-on-memphis-turnaround-paxton/id1358843497?i=1000586343000

I'm all in! #fUeNTe

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Thank you for your insight. 

Did he recruit well? 

Memphis 2012- started with 92nd ranked class

Memphis 2015- highest ranked class was 58

Va Tech- most of his classes hovered between 24 and 27. My laptop crashed when I was pulling the numbers from 247 sports.