Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree with this, and I don't think Fuente falls in the McCarney category.   He's still young (46), he's had massive success in our new conference, and at UNT, he'll have every opportunity/tool (outside of an state-of-the-art weightroom, which is coming) to succeed here.

EDIT:  I keep coming back to Sonny's success at LATech, parlaying into a tough position at Cal, losing a ton, then coming back to a G5 SMU, and just killing it.   Not saying Fuente's path will mirror-image that, but I know he had MORE success at Memphis, and MORE success at VATech than Dykes did at LATech & Cal.

Pope seem to keep forgetting Cal is not an easy place to recruit players to and them accepted. I think soon after taking the job Sonny probably knew it was not a good fit. Look, all of these guys could do a good job in the right situation. It's about finding the right fit and their ability to put together a very good staff

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Unlikely Fuente won’t take a job and not pick his guys. Fuente probably has other unemployed buddies that wouldn’t mind the work. Maybe a son in law to coach defense we’re good with that here

No.    We're absolutely not.   Need to check the previous threads on that horrible hire.

Bennett had Littrell over a barrel, essentially buying him an extra year, and if bringing Passwaters on was a contingency to get Bennett, he had to do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.    We're absolutely not.   Need to check the previous threads on that horrible hire.

Bennett had Littrell over a barrel, essentially buying him an extra year, and if bringing Passwaters on was a contingency to get Bennett, he had to do it.

wonder how SL feels now, seeing the #120 defense cost him his job in many ways by not slowing down the higher level teams

• Upvote 3

I think it's fine for an AD to recommend keeping a particular coach on staff, but I would never want an AD to require a coach to keep anyone on staff. You're setting up an adversarial relationship from the get-go and giving the coach something to point to if things don't work out. Let them bring in their guys. If a coach on staff fits what they want, great. If not, it's the head coach's decision.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, untbowler said:

wonder how SL feels now, seeing the #120 defense cost him his job in many ways by not slowing down the higher level teams

The D was not good, but it did not help that instead of using time management to our advantage we tried to make sure we snapped the ball with plenty of time left. And by all means congrats to Aune for setting records. And the result was meaningless stats. It's looks good to move the ball up and down the field, but not that great when you can't execute in crunch time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Seth Curry vs Steph Curry

Jeremy Giambi vs Jason Giambi

The brother factor should in no way be a qualifier.

It’s a whole lot different comparing coaching ability as opposed to playing ability.  There are a lot of coaches kids who become good coaches because they’ve been around it all their life and they understand the game.  

I just think it shows a pedigree.  Not the reason you hire him, but a feather in his cap.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

There is a reason SMU didn't hire him. There is a reason GH was not offered the interim HC job at USC. There is a reason people that had worked with them did not give them the opportunity. It is a Lazy reporting list.

Has he not strengthened his resume this year?  He’s the OC for the #3 team in the nation.  That’s pretty solid.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Dan Mullen  ..... 

Yes! I mentioned him in another thread. We need to be talking to him along with Fuente.

In addition to other names mentioned on the forum commonly - I’d also contact Kane Wommack at South Alabama and Curt Cignetti at James Madison.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Yes! I mentioned him in another thread. We need to be talking to him along with Fuente.

I’m addition to other names mentioned on the forum commonly - I’d also contact Kane Wommack at South Alabama and Curt Cignetti at James Madison.

My only problem with Mullen is that he hasn't been a HC at the G5 level.  He's used to having funds & fan support to do whatever the heck he wants at SEC schools.   He'd be pretty cash-strapped & shocked at fan engagement here compared to the SEC.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My only problem with Mullen is that he hasn't been a HC at the G5 level.  He's used to having funds & fan support to do whatever the heck he wants at SEC schools.   He'd be pretty cash-strapped & shocked at fan engagement here compared to the SEC.

Agreed that this would be the main area of concern. That positioning falls to Jared and Neal to adequately paint a realistic picture of the challenges and opportunities this role presents.

Would still gauge his interest and see if it might be a fit. Maybe he’s tired of the SEC culture/pressure cooker? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That is my concern with anyone who has been a HC at a P5 school. As much as we have upgraded our facilities there is a big difference. I also worry that a coach in his position would be here because he has to, not that he wants to, and I would prefer a coach who wants to be here.

I’m going to go off the board. 

Bronco Mendenhall 

I think he’s desperate to get back into coaching and the powers that be at UNT have seemingly backed themselves into a “big name” corner by firing a successful (by national standards)  head coach in Seth Littrell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I’m going to go off the board. 

Bronco Mendenhall 

I think he’s desperate to get back into coaching and the powers that be at UNT have seemingly backed themselves into a “big name” corner by firing a successful (by national standards)  head coach in Seth Littrell. 

I’d add him to a list to look at for sure.