Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

meangreenfaninno

Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next UNT Head Football Coach?

• Justin Fuente
    • Gary Patterson
    • Garrett Riley
    • Emmett Jones
    • Graham Harrell
    • Joe Gillespie
    • Colby Carthel
    • K.C. Keeler
    • Eric Morris
    • Chris Thomsen

I don't understand why Garrett Riley would be on a UNT list.  First off he's way too young.  Secondly, I know for a fact that Sonny and Seth are best friends and their families are extremely close and take vacations together etc.  So I seriously doubt Garrett would want to venture into that for a myriad of reasons.  It's just lazy reporting and it needs to stop.

• Upvote 8
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

8 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

I don't understand why Garrett Riley would be on a UNT list.  First off he's way too young.  Secondly, I know for a fact that Sonny and Seth are best friends and their families are extremely close and take vacations together etc.  So I seriously doubt Garrett would want to venture into that for a myriad of reasons.  It's just lazy reporting and it needs to stop.

Fair points. I think it’ll depend on how much GR wants to be a head coach, and whether or not SL has sour grapes about UNT. 

this might surprise some of y’all, but it’s possible to let a guy go from a job and him NOT be angry at you.

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

He’s the offensive coordinator for the #3 team in the nation.

He has strong Texas ties.

His brother is a successful head coach.

I’m sure there are many other reasons,  but there are a few off the top of my head.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Fair points. I think it’ll depend on how much GR wants to be a head coach, and whether or not SL has sour grapes about UNT. 

this might surprise some of y’all, but it’s possible to let a guy go from a job and him NOT be angry at you.

He has $1.6 million reasons not to be mad. We didn't screw him over either. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Fuente is such a lazy hire, Wren knew him so now he has to be our coach? F that

Wren knew him, so that's our "in".    I'm not sure if he would consider UNT if not for that relationship, and Baker talking to him about how great a place UNT is.
Fuente is a good coach.   If it's him, it's not "lazy" at all.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wren knew him, so that's our "in".    I'm not sure if he would consider UNT if not for that relationship, and Baker talking to him about how great a place UNT is.
Fuente is a good coach.   If it's him, it's not "lazy" at all.

Yes because he is getting his door beaten on daily while enjoying his unemployment. And I’m not sure we should consider him with that relationship. We have plenty to sell, we don’t need an “in” to help Wren’s old buddy gain employment. We need to stop looking for falling stars and instead catch one on the way up.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

his brother took over OU the same age.. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Yes because he is getting his door beaten on daily while enjoying his unemployment.

Who knows?   It's possible.    I know he doesn't really have a reason to be in a rush about anything with VATech paying him through 2024.   Maybe taking a year off and re-composing himself is a good thing after how things went down at VATech.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, NT93 said:

He’s the offensive coordinator for the #3 team in the nation.

He has strong Texas ties.

His brother is a successful head coach.

I’m sure there are many other reasons,  but there are a few off the top of my head.

There is a reason SMU didn't hire him. There is a reason GH was not offered the interim HC job at USC. There is a reason people that had worked with them did not give them the opportunity. It is a Lazy reporting list.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Except for the first 2 choices the rest are NTSU type replacements. Has to have HC experience.

31 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

I don't understand why Garrett Riley would be on a UNT list.  First off he's way too young. 

15 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I worry about that, too. I think a lifelong coordinator may give us that, but a previous HC would be less likely of the drop off. 

I agree with all of these. We need to hire a previous head coach, preferably at the FBS level, but if they have FCS head coaching experience with some FBS coordinating experience I'm okay with that as well.

Manoj Bhargava, the billionaire and founder and CEO of 5-Hour Engergy, summed it up extremely well in a presentation I heard him give a while back. He said something to the effect of, "Why would I ever hire some young gun when I can hire someone older with more successful experience doing the job? The young gun may save me money at first glance, but I'd need to hire two or three of them to do the same job that the more experienced person can do in the snap of their fingers in their sleep. From this perspective, the more experienced person, albeit a higher salary, is cheaper and has a much better ROI."

I think this is a perfect analogy for where we are and why we need an experienced head coach.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

There is a reason SMU didn't hire him. There is a reason GH was not offered the interim HC job at USC. There is a reason people that had worked with them did not give them the opportunity. It is a Lazy reporting list.

Correct.   And that was because they had Lashlee lined up.   He's the guy they wanted because he'd already been there with Sonny and built up that juggernaut offense before jumping to work with & learn from Gus Malzahn.   On paper, Lashlee was a great hire!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes because he is getting his door beaten on daily while enjoying his unemployment. And I’m not sure we should consider him with that relationship. We have plenty to sell, we don’t need an “in” to help Wren’s old buddy gain employment. We need to stop looking for falling stars and instead catch one on the way up.

I agree with this, and I don't think Fuente falls in the McCarney category.   He's still young (46), he's had massive success in our new conference, and at UNT, he'll have every opportunity/tool (outside of an state-of-the-art weightroom, which is coming) to succeed here.

EDIT:  I keep coming back to Sonny's success at LATech, parlaying into a tough position at Cal, losing a ton, then coming back to a G5 SMU, and just killing it.   Not saying Fuente's path will mirror-image that, but I know he had MORE success at Memphis, and MORE success at VATech than Dykes did at LATech & Cal.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Manoj Bhargava, the billionaire and founder and CEO of 5-Hour Engergy, summed it up extremely well in a presentation I heard him give a while back. He said something to the effect of, "Why would I ever hire some young gun when I can hire someone older with more successful experience doing the job? The young gun may save me money at first glance, but I'd need to hire two or three of them to do the same job that the more experienced person can do in the snap of their fingers in their sleep. From this perspective, the more experienced person, albeit a higher salary, is cheaper and has a much better ROI."

I think this is a perfect analogy for where we are and why we need an experienced head coach.

To add an additional thought exercise onto this, just imagine the difference in week one if Gary Patterson took the job vs. Garret Riley.

Gary would come in with an immediate vision of what "great" looks like and know exactly how to assess the situation, identify gaps, and start putting the pieces together to build a great team. This would include ALL areas of the program from strength and conditioning to roster to position coaches to practice schedule and the whole nine.

Garret Riley would come in and probably be hyped on adrenaline now that he's "finally a head coach!" and think life is awesome. He'd probably meet with some people and start talking with some position coaches and start thinking about recruiting, but his idea of what a "great" program looks like is undetermined and he's not even fully aware of all of his job responsibilities yet. He's making up his vision as he goes and throwing things at the wall to see what sticks one day at a time.

In short, the experienced and successful head coach walks in with a blueprint that can be instantly modified and executed against. The coordinator walks in with a lot of ideas and aspirations they want to test out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree with this, and I don't think Fuente falls in the McCarney category.   He's still young (46), he's had massive success in our new conference, and at UNT, he'll have every opportunity/tool (outside of an state-of-the-art weightroom, which is coming) to succeed here.

For sure. To state that a candidate with FBS head coaching experience, significant overall winning record, young in coaching age, and AAC and ACC “Coach of the Year” credentials is a “lazy” candidate for UNT to be looking at is disingenuous. 

I’m not saying he should 100% be our guy, but we should absolutely be talking to him.

• Upvote 6