I am starting to have strong feelings towards Emmett

Jonnyeagle

16 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Emmett Jones the assistamt at TEXAS tech that is.. He has the biggest upside of all of the candidate in my view.  The guy could open up recruiting in south dallas like never before seen at UNT.

Seems risky. But the bolded would be nice, though he doesn't have G5 experience, he does have KU experience. 

I'd have to hear things we as fans would never hear, like an infrastructure plan and a recruit plan. But if he knocks those out and is passionate then it's worth taking a look. I'd dictate for him (and anyone) to keep Cobbs. I would strongly recommend Trice as recruiting coordinator and some coaching capacity. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's only the WR coach & Pass-game coordinator at Tech.     
Maybe there's a way NT could pay him & give him a promotion to full-time OC.  He's one of us, as an Alum!  He might go for it.

EDIT:   He makes $450k now at Tech.   Offer him $550k and full-time OC!

And Jeff Traylor was just a RB coach at Arkansas

I'm becoming more and more intrigued with Jones. Especially after Gabe Brooks' comments on our lack of effort south of I-20.

It's completely inexcusable with the amount of talent that schools like Desoto/SOC/Cedar Hill/Duncanville produce on a yearly basis.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Especially after Gabe Brooks' comments on our lack of effort south of I-20.

It's completely inexcusable with the amount of talent that schools like Desoto/SOC/Cedar Hill/Duncanville produce on a yearly basis.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2022/11/22/desoto-three-star-cornerback-caimon-mathis-commits-to-unt/?outputType=amp

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Maybe there's a way NT could pay him & give him a promotion to full-time OC.  He's one of us, as an Alum!  He might go for it.

It was mentioned on the GMG podcast last night that people would be really excited about the names being mentioned for OC/DC. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was the former HC at SOC before taking the WR job at KU.  He's got head coaching experience just not at the collegiate level for whatever that matters to anyone.  

Me personally this is the hire I would make.  He can lead a program, provide the ability to build a young and hungry staff, as well as recruit I20-I30 like UNT has never seen.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes and Qualon Farrar and Keith Smith.

His point was that we haven't consistently  recruited these places and several coaches from that area told him as much

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

He was the former HC at SOC before taking the WR job at KU.  He's got head coaching experience just not at the collegiate level for whatever that matters to anyone.  

Me personally this is the hire I would make.  He can lead a program, provide the ability to build a young and hungry staff, as well as recruit I20-I30 like UNT has never seen.  

I like where you are going with this but it also seems risky.  We would need to pair him with a very experienced  Wally Rig type of assistant HC to help him along the way.

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yes and Qualon Farrar and Keith Smith.

His point was that we haven't consistently  recruited these places and several coaches from that area told him as much

I think it is more of they want the good kids to go P5 and want us to offer their borderline FCS prospects.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I like where you are going with this but it also seems risky.  We would need to pair him with a very experienced  Wally Rig type of assistant HC to help him along the way.

There is no doubt it is risky, but the only thing I think that could be an issue is managing the scholarship count, which he has had 6 years or so to learn how that works at his previous stops.  In particular the newest one at Tech being the best learning curve for him as the staff was new and had to hit the recruiting trail and road running.  

However, just like every scholarship offer is risky the reward to me outweighs the risk.  If he is a homerun hire you repeat this cycle in 3 or 4 years.  

Edited by GMG24

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the assumption is that Fuente is pretty much locked in and the guys he's picking are gonna be exciting names.

@TheReal_jayD might need to clarify since he's the one that mentioned it

man, i hope i'm wrong about Fuente, but this guy just doesn't excite me. His record over his last four years at Va Tech is basically what Seth did here during his tenure...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1