The Latest from FootballScoop.com

UNTLifer

https://footballscoop.com/news/north-texas-football-candidates-justin-fuente

For that matter, TCU inside receivers coach Doug Meacham was a finalist for the job the last time it opened. Meacham does not have the hot name of Riley, but he has the same qualifications that led him to be runner-up to Littrell, plus first-hand experience within the Dykes machine. Kenny Perry and Joe Gillespie, both former Texas high school coaches, could also be solid candidates in the event North Texas covets an apple from the Dykes tree. 

Speaking of Texas high school football, one name with high potential would be Texas Tech wide receivers coach/passing game coordinator Emmett Jones. Jones is in his eighth year as a college coach, with experience under the Kliff Kingsbury and Joey McGuire staffs in Lubbock, sandwiched around three years at Kansas. Prior to that, Jones crafted a successful career as a high school football coach in Dallas. Jones was an assistant at three Dallas schools before taking the head coaching job at South Oak Cliff.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Wag Tag said:

The candidates that being talked about on public forum seem to be very poor choices. One of the reasons Mc was hired for BB is because he had HC experience. I believe it should be the same for football. We can’t afford another HC in training. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Upvote 3

I actually thought Meacham was the better choice over Littrell in 2015. Could be interesting if we lure him from TCU, but overall I agree that pulling someone with experience at the HC position from at least an upper-level G5 school, preferably P5 is the best option. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

First half of the article was much more interesting...

On that front, multiple industry sources have mentioned Justin Fuente's candidacy in Denton. 

Fuente sat out the 2022 season after he was let go for the sin of going 5-5 at Virginia Tech. He's 69-54 at Memphis and Va Tech, with an American title in 2014 and an ACC Championship appearance in 2016. A Tulsa native, Fuente also has relevant local experience with five seasons as an assistant under Gary Patterson at TCU. With 69 career victories at the FBS level, Fuente would instantly become the most accomplished hire in Mean Green history.

That said, sources close to Fuente have indicated there's no guarantee he would take the job if offered. The 46-year-old can afford to be picky in his sabbatical, and only Fuente can say if the Mean Green check enough boxes.

Program sources indicate Graham Harrell would be a popular hire within the fan base. Harrell was Littrell's first offensive coordinator in Denton, and his three years represent the peak of the previous regime. After a 5-8 debut (the staff inherited a 1-11, pre-Portal era team) North Texas went 18-9 in 2017-18, including an 8-1 stretch in 2017 and a 6-1 start with a blowout win over Arkansas to begin the 2018 campaign. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

yeah but what I read he will have no trouble finding a job.  Unless his salary from WVAis decrease  by him getting a new job.   Then he might want to screw WVA.

You can stop saying WVA. he was at VA Tech, and Memphis before that.

And often when a coach gets fired from the higher level school, their next position is for less money.

My only question is if he's still receiving payouts from the buyout, and if so, if our salary would offset that, then he'd only be coming back because he wants to coach, and not because he'd make any more money.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

You can stop saying WVA. he was at VA Tech, and Memphis before that.

And often when a coach gets fired from the higher level school, their next position is for less money.

My only question is if he's still receiving payouts from the buyout, and if so, if our salary would offset that, then he'd only be coming back because he wants to coach, and not because he'd make any more money.

Yeah, unless he got some kind of lump sum payment up front as a settlement, he's still got checks coming from the Hokies through 2024.  It's likely his buyout is like most others in that if he's owed 4.5mil/yr, but he gets a job for 2mil/yr, his buyout drops to 2.5mil/yr from VATech.

"Fuente sat out the 2022 season after he was let go for the sin of going 5-5 at Virginia Tech."

After his first 2 seasons of 10-4,9-4 with a bowl win, he went 24-23 in the next 4 along with 3 bowl losses. I don't follow VT close enough to know how many good players he inherited but he did take over a 7-6 Frank Beamer team, so there's a good chance the team had some good players. 

That 24-23 record is awfully close to that .500 record that has been declared as unacceptable, so I don't think it was the lone 5-5 season that did it.  

Apparently Fuente is a big name, but I'm not seeing anything overly impressive.  In his 4th season (8-5) he had wins over  1-11 ODU and 2-10 Rhode Island along with a loss to 5-7 Duke and that was after a 6-7 finish in the previous season.  This looks like a team that was trending downward for most of his tenure.

Maybe what he did at Memphis is his better achievement??  I know people are going to say that he was playing in a stronger conference, but I thought that was also supposed to give you access to resources and recruiting to make it easier to win.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, unless he got some kind of lump sum payment up front as a settlement, he's still got checks coming from the Hokies through 2024.

Virginia Tech negotiated a buyout with Justin Fuente of $8.75 million one year ago.

https://www.on3.com/college/virginia-tech-hokies/news/virginia-tech-ad-announces-negotiated-justin-fuente-buyout/

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yeah, that's a pretty good list.  I personally have not heard anyone mention Ed Orgeron here.  I don't think he's a great X's and O's guy, but he is a tremendous recruiter.  The Johnnys and Joes he could get on our team would likely beat anything we've seen here since the Joe Greene/Steve Ramsey/Cedric Hardman days.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1