Transfer Portal - North Texas

Not yet, but seems a lot of players are split. Like the guy, forgot the handle, said on the other thread about the team meeting, they were advised to wait and see.

Will they? Probably not, especially the guys who’ve been with Littrell since day 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Not yet, but seems a lot of players are split. Like the guy, forgot the handle, said on the other thread about the team meeting, they were advised to wait and see.

Will they? Probably not, especially the guys who’ve been with Littrell since day 1.

Doubtful.   The guys who jumped in today are guys who know what's ahead of them as far as PT and whatnot.

Right now, as a current Mean Green player, you're holding a scholarship.   You're in the position to wait for a few days to see who comes in, and what staff he assembles.   Don't like the direction the new HC plans to move in for your skillset? (say a guy like Mazin likes his role as a "Devil" LB, but the new DC wants to run a 4-man front), then you can decide to jump in & have plenty of schools looking for your services.

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

say a guy like Mazin 

Who has already used his one free transfer?  I think he'll be slow to jump into the portal, as I imagine coaches these days are more reluctant to use a scholarship on a player who has to sit a year than the numerous options who can play right away.

15 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

Really seems like the players are upset from the Littrell news. I expect much of them to enter the portal

Upset whatever, I bet parents are involved and in most cases they will wait to see who the new coach is. They maybe happier yet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, eppy4life said:

so, if you put your name in the portal can you come back? 

If the team you left wants you back.

If you are a marginal player, you are probably out of luck.  

Star players who enter the portal have probably already been recruited somewhere.  It is just a formality to transfer.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

Really seems like the players are upset from the Littrell news. I expect much of them to enter the portal

I'd be quick to show them how 54% of the portal players enrolled at a new school. It is a risky thing. As Jerry Jones said, "don't let your money get mad." But more power to them, they have the power to chose and that includes making the wrong choice. I can't imagine being mad at the prospect of getting a better coach, who can bring more publicity in the new conference. 

• Upvote 1

**Risk of entering the portal**

Most FBS (ALL P5s) are obligated by Conference rules to keep a player they have signed for his full 4 years (in other words, cannot pull scholarships) BUT if a player puts his name in the Portal they "can" let him return, but are not obligated to. So when a lot of these players enter and no one picks them up, they are left without

NCAA: 40 percent of scholarship FBS players do not find scholarships on the other side of the transfer portal

• - Only 59 percent of scholarship transfers found scholarships at another FBS school
  • - Only 36 percent of FCS transfers find a Division I school willing to take them

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-transfer-portal-data

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Who has already used his one free transfer?  I think he'll be slow to jump into the portal, as I imagine coaches these days are more reluctant to use a scholarship on a player who has to sit a year than the numerous options who can play right away.

OK.  Bad example, but you know the type of scenario I’m talking about.

• Upvote 1

I think being in the AAC can be an advantage, a lot of P5 players that are not getting enough playing time might look to move to a G5 school for more playing time.  The AAC being the top G5 makes it more attractive for transfers.  Look at what Tulane did, they added 10 starters through the transfer portal this season.   

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

Can players play in a bowl game after entering the transfer portal?

I believe it's up to the school. I found this example -

Indiana quarterback Jack Tuttle announced in October that he planned to enter the portal, but he ended up starting for the Hoosiers against Penn State on Nov. 5.

• Upvote 1

I know it’s still veeeerrrrryyyyy early, but I’m honestly surprised we haven’t already had a conga line of players hit the portal already considering the whirlwind of news yesterday. Especially considering the amount of players some schools have already lost

• Upvote 1

It seems crazy to me for anyone from UNT to enter the portal until after the hire has been made.  How is a player going to feel if they enter the portal and we make a shockingly good hire?  It just doesn't make sense to me to not wait and see.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

It seems crazy to me for anyone from UNT to enter the portal until after the hire has been made.  How is a player going to feel if they enter the portal and we make a shockingly good hire?  It just doesn't make sense to me to not wait and see.

100% agree