First NET Ranking - 68

BillySee58

The NET ranking debut for the 2022-2023 season came out today. We are ranked 68, 3rd in CUSA. FAU at a very impressive 23 and UAB in at 54.

We have some chances for resume boosters coming up in Grand Canyon (104) and UMass (75) both on neutral courts technically.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Ranked 69*. To note, we're 4-2 for NET rankings as So Nazarene and Paul Quinn don't count. UNC Wilmington are 102 and St Mary's are 17.

UAB has West Virginia and South Carolina coming up and I can see them winning both. Would be great for our conference to have FAU and UAB have high NET rankings headed into conference play. Outside of FIU who's .500, everybody in our conference is above .500 which is really impressive. Here's to hoping we're a multi-bid conference this year!

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Ranked 69*. To note, we're 4-2 for NET rankings as So Nazarene and Paul Quinn don't count. UNC Wilmington are 102 and St Mary's are 17.

UAB has West Virginia and South Carolina coming up and I can see them winning both. Would be great for our conference to have FAU and UAB have high NET rankings headed into conference play. Outside of FIU who's .500, everybody in our conference is above .500 which is really impressive. Here's to hoping we're a multi-bid conference this year!

It updates daily. We were 68 yesterday. But yes, CUSA is strong again in men’s basketball. Definitely has not been the problem of this conference since we joined.

Edited by BillySee58

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

VERY NICE

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

CUSA a multi-bid conference?  The problem is the MWC is doing its thing in the NET rankings again this year, they have 6 teams in the top 60.  They were a 4 bid conference last season, and I dont think a single team made it past the first round.  The AAC should be a 2 bid conference, Memphis being on probation could become a factor if they become a bubble team.   However the rest of the AAC is not looking to good right now.  Realistically, I think CUSA would need 2 schools in the top 40 to achive multi-bid status.  

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

CUSA a multi-bid conference?  The problem is the MWC is doing its thing in the NET rankings again this year, they have 6 teams in the top 60.  They were a 4 bid conference last season, and I dont think a single team made it past the first round.  The AAC should be a 2 bid conference, Memphis being on probation could become a factor if they become a bubble team.   However the rest of the AAC is not looking to good right now.  Realistically, I think CUSA would need 2 schools in the top 40 to achive multi-bid status.  

FAU is top 24 and UAB has West Virginia (11) coming up. If they win that, they'll make a big jump. They also play South Carolina who's 295 for now but as the season goes on, they'll play have plenty of opportunities to jump up playing in the SEC. A win against them can look a whole lot better for UAB in a few months. It's completely possible to have FAU and UAB both top 30 headed into conference play if they handle business. Just helps the overall perception of the conference and opens up the chance for a multi-bid. I believe UNT had a good chance of getting in last year had we made it to the conference finals against UAB. Neither UAB or UNT were going to be punished for that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Trouble with wanting to be a multi-bid league, is you need the top two to be dominant over the remaining teams, while the rest still do okay. In CUSA, we typically beat up on each other so badly that there's not a huge gap between 1&2 and the rest of the field. Maybe that changes this year, but who knows?

27 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Trouble with wanting to be a multi-bid league, is you need the top two to be dominant over the remaining teams, while the rest still do okay. In CUSA, we typically beat up on each other so badly that there's not a huge gap between 1&2 and the rest of the field. Maybe that changes this year, but who knows?

That's where FAU and UAB entering conference play top 30 would be huge. They'd be Quad 1 games for everybody as long as they remain top 30. Quad 1 losses don't affect your NET much but Quad 1 wins do. An example of this would be Kent State who's 5-3 but has a NET of 33. They're 0-3 against Quad 1 teams. As long as UAB and FAU don't drop any bad games in conference play and we stay up 70+ in NET, we all 3 have a chance to remain highly ranked. Charlotte has an outside chance as well as they're 72.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

It's just so stinkin hard to get multiple bids.  That's one takeaway (for me) from the Grant McCasland era.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is down the road, but if West Virginia is weak at basketball… I would assume we need to start looking at the potential movement of Grant M after the season getting a call from Wren….

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, MrAlien said:

CUSA isn't good enough to be a multi bid conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

This season it very well might be.  Too early to say, but it seems possible.

Teams like UAB/FAU/WKU/UNT would need to not lose any easy games in the rest of OOC and CUSA play, and get lucky in the title game for the runner up to get an at large.

Slim slim chance, unless FAU continues to play at the level they are right now.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Sir. This is a basketball forum, oh wait you selectively chose to talk football smack because there's nothing you can say to #1 basketball team in the nation.

Sir, this is a University of North Texas forum.  Oh wait, you selectively chose to come on here and talk smack because the fans of "your" own university can't stand you either.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

FAU up to 11 after easily putting away now 7-3 Florida Gulf Coast.

..and one ahead of Duke at 12, but they are not in any top 25 polls, nor did I see them get any votes

they have 6 wins against quad 3 & 4 teams, and 1 quad 2 win.  their loss was to Ole Miss who is currently 1 spot ahead of UNT

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1