hire A.D. 1st ?

wardly

I feel differently, I feel like the coaching position is more urgent due to the recruiting timeline. I think the athletic department can go on autopilot under Mosely until a new AD is in place. I know it would be ideal to have the new AD hire the new head coach but I just don’t feel we have that kind of time. We NEED a head coach in place by the bowl game.

Edit: You guys have convinced me. Get the new AD and let him bring in his guy not named Fuente.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I feel differently, I feel like the coaching position is more urgent due to the recruiting timeline. I think the athletic department can go on autopilot under Mosely until a new AD is in place. I know it would be ideal to have the new AD hire the new head coach but I just don’t feel we have that kind of time. We NEED a head coach in place by the bowl game.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. The Transfer Portal changing the landscape of recruiting has really pushed the urgency of finding a new coach that much more 

• Upvote 2

Recruiting and the transfer portal will work itself out. There's no reason why an AD cannot be hired first and the first order of business is finding a FB coach. It all comes with the job and hitting the ground running. Forcing a newly hired AD to be stuck with the highest and most important job at the university and having no input and say in it whatsoever is kind of a crummy thing to do. We can work fast and do things the proper way.

• Upvote 3

I highly doubt any coach you want is going to take a job and not know who his boss will be.   

Looking at the returning roster, NT should be loaded next year with the big exception of the QB position.

No one knows if there is a QB here that can play because for some reason, Littrell just did not play backup QB's.  I don't count Earl's run package that was used a few times.  

Edited by GrandGreen

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I get the feeling and can't fully discount it. But I fear this is too short term thinking and that NT is effed anyway on this recruiting transfer portal window. So may as well take the long term view to get the best candidates in (which then has the AD first).

Also I have this weird feeling (absolutely no info) that Smatresk has already decided on Mosely, but that the coaching search will go a bit wider given that probably a decent number of the names on any made lists are already off the board.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree that the coaching position is more urgent, but…

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I highly doubt any coach you want is going to take a job and not know who his boss will be.   

I feel this may be true as well.

It’s a tough situation, but I hope things have been going on behind the scenes to make it go smoothly.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I understand what you are saying and you make a valid point. On the other hand, I'm hoping for long term service in all positions and I have great expectations that the AD should arrive with a vision and a list of candidates. It's connective... if the new AD hires, then the new AD will be responsible/liable. AD first is a team building method. If the President conducts the coaching search, it indicates to me that he has already chosen the interim AD as the permanent AD.

I hope that Mosely is elevated to the Athletic Director.  He can take part in the search for the man that he would hire.  The coach would know who the AD was and I believe that works better.  I hope that the new AD can talk the coach into retaining Cobbs, Clements and possibly Gush.  I believe that the running backs, offensive line and linebackers are the real strength of this club.  It also could well be that the new coach, especially if it's Fuente, might not be able to hire all of his old staff.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GrayEagle said:

I hope that Mosely is elevated to the Athletic Director.  He can take part in the search for the man that he would hire.  The coach would know who the AD was and I believe that works better.  I hope that the new AD can talk the coach into retaining Cobbs, Clements and possibly Gush.  I believe that the running backs, offensive line and linebackers are the real strength of this club.  It also could well be that the new coach, especially if it's Fuente, might not be able to hire all of his old staff.

I feel like Gush was apart of the Bennett factor

58 minutes ago, Old Denton said:

ADs usually inherit their coaches and hire when needed.

Except when there is an opening for both.  AD's want to hire their own football coach.  It makes them look good (or not) plus accountable.  Schools want an AD to mentor their hire.  AD first, football coach second.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This didn't seem to hamper us from getting Wren.

Neal hired Seth before Wren was hired.  Lesson learned.  Wren did not want to deal with Seth's ouster since it wasn't his rodeo, thus Neal had to be the guy to cut him loose.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Neal hired Seth before Wren was hired.  Lesson learned.  Wren did not want to deal with Seth's ouster since it wasn't his rodeo, thus Neal had to be the guy to cut him loose.  

What lesson was learned?    Wren extended Littrell not once, but twice.   Littrell was his guy too.   

I have no doubt Wren voiced his opinion of Littrell to Neal for quite a while now.   And if he wasn't hired away by WVU, the release would have come from Wren himself. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1