Seth’s Downfall

Hookset

I think he got the most out of his offenses. It was frustrating watching the last 2 years of QB play. The lack of a short passing game was painful. Can’t only throw deep passes and run the ball. 

Ultimately I think it’s been his defenses. 2 out of 7 years he had a decent defensive performance. Most years, including this year, the defensive performance has been one of the worst in D1.

Hard to ever excel if you can’t stop any teams. We were too often gashed by opposing offenses.

• Upvote 5

Seths downfall can be attributed to a few things:

1. Lack of wins in big games including Conference Championships and Bowl games

2. Lack of any serious care about defense until Year 6

3. Lack of QB development outside of Fine

4. Poor offensive line play until Year 6

5. Poor hires in the middle of his tenure

6. Being paid like one of the best coaches in the G5 without having the results to be one. He started off hot and set the bar high enough for him to get paid but he could never get back to where he set it thus he was fired

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Hookset said:

I think he got the most out of his offenses. It was frustrating watching the last 2 years of QB play. The lack of a short passing game was painful. Can’t only throw deep passes and run the ball. 

Ultimately I think it’s been his defenses. 2 out of 7 years he had a decent defensive performance. Most years, including this year, the defensive performance has been one of the worst in D1.

Hard to ever excel if you can’t stop any teams. We were too often gashed by opposing offenses.

I agree with this completely... and if you are counting last year as one of the two years of decent defense, a lot of that was due to his mid-stream change to a run heavy ball control offense. So even then, he didn't have the defense 'figured out'

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Didn't we recruit a QB that had potential, then put him at the LB position last/this season?  How did he do at LB, and would we/he have been better off had Seth given him some QB playing time?

Bryce Drummond.  Don't think he would have ever seen the field as a QB.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Didn't we recruit a QB that had potential, then put him at the LB position last/this season?  How did he do at LB, and would we/he have been better off had Seth given him some QB playing time?

I think it was Bryce’s decision to move to LB.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

6. Being paid like one of the best coaches in the G5 without having the results to be one. He started off hot and set the bar high enough for him to get paid but he could never get back to where he set it thus he was fired

#1,2,5,6 can all be linked to poor defensive performance.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

7. not fully grasping the portal and associated changes to recruiting strategies /being late in understanding it. He improved and got it a bit better towards the end, but he was still a bit behind, and it cost him.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, outoftown said:

7. not fully grasping the portal and associated changes to recruiting strategies /being late in understanding it. He improved and got it a bit better towards the end, but he was still a bit behind.

I disagree with this. Just because there is a talented kid in the portal doesn’t mean that you can get him onto your team roster. The kid gets to decide where he wants to play. 
Also many kids didn’t work out at the previous school because they were knuckleheads. Not a good idea to pick up a talented kid that was another program’s problem.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hookset said:

I disagree with this. Just because there is a talented kid in the portal doesn’t mean that you can get him onto your team roster. The kid gets to decide where he wants to play. 
Also many kids didn’t work out at the previous school because they were knuckleheads. Not a good idea to pick up a talented kid that was another program’s problem.

Agree with this, his failing was his inability to recruit players we needed to win - HS and portal.

we had some higher ranked recruiting classes a few times, but for our program those players also have to fit needs, not just pad a a recruiting ranking (QB, DL, OL).