Skip Holtz

meangreenbob

17 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Read that Chris Peterson is a target for UNLV’s current search. If that’s true, we need to go money whip him ASAP. Bring that Boise blueprint to Denton.

As awesome as that would be if his heart is back in coaching, I don't know that he would come down here to Texas.   LV is probably at the end of his radius.  He loves being up there in the Pacific NW.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I feel like Skip Holtz is just barely better than Seth.

Sure he won 7-8 games a year, and won his bowl games more often than not. But he never won the conference championship despite going to three of them.

Feels like we need to aspire for more. Maybe it was his lack of resources at LaTech. He had a lot of guys go to the NFL so the development and recruiting piece seems good. Just worry we'd be in a similar position in 5 years if we hired him.

6-1 in bowl games, Just went 9-1 in the USFL.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As awesome as that would be if his heart is back in coaching, I don't know that he would come down here to Texas.   LV is probably at the end of his radius.  He loves being up there in the Pacific NW.

Maybe? 🤷‍♂️ Coaches coach. If you’re UNT, shoot your shot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I honestly just don’t see Holtz firing up a fan base very much that seems to need someone who can light some fires around here. Maybe he’s safe. I don’t know. His La Tech teams were fine. His winning percentage at La Tech was a little better than Seth, but it’s not like they won 70% of their games.

152-121 ..We tried the up and coming OC and we all could see the issues he had because he didn't have the experience of being a head coach. I understand we all would like a Dion type hire as long as he has head coaching experience i'm on board. Patterson is the only I see that could bring us both.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I honestly just don’t see Holtz firing up a fan base very much that seems to need someone who can light some fires around here. Maybe he’s safe. I don’t know. His La Tech teams were fine. His winning percentage at La Tech was a little better than Seth, but it’s not like they won 70% of their games.

Looking back, it's crazy that La Tech fired him after 1 losing season. He had them towards the top of CUSA for 6 straight years and they kick him out after one down year. Makes us look like the most patient program in CFB history. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

152-121 ..We tried the up and coming OC and we all could see the issues he had because he didn't have the experience of being a head coach. I understand we all would like a Dion type hire as long as he has head coaching experience i'm on board. Patterson is the only I see that could bring us both.

But would Patterson embrace the opportunity, would he be energized or would he have difficulty adapting to what he might perceive as a step down from the mighty P5 level? 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

But would Patterson embrace the opportunity, would he be energized or would he have difficulty adapting to what he might perceive as a step down from the mighty P5 level? 

I think the complaints we heard from TCU before he left and when he left could be a big negative. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

Need younger.  This place needs some energy that can develop the culture and fire up the fans, students, and players.  Also, somebody who can gain the confidence of high school coaches in our area.  Preferably, somebody they know.

Well Holtz is 58 and Dykes is 52. I'm not sure how young you need the coach to be, but the TCU fans (including the students) seemed pretty excited about what Dykes was giving them.

• Upvote 3

On December 13, 2012, former UConn, East Carolina, and South Florida head coach Skip Holtz, son of legendary coach Lou Holtz,[73] accepted an offer to become the head coach for the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs.[74] Holtz's first season, the 2013 campaign, was a rebuilding year as the Bulldogs finished 4–8.[75] However, 2014 would see a big improvement. Holtz's Bulldogs went on to finish first in C-USA West at 9–5[76] with a 35–18 win over Illinois in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.[77] In 2015, the Bulldogs continued their success, finishing 9–4[78] and winning the New Orleans Bowl over Arkansas State, 47–28.[79] In 2016, Holtz's Bulldogs finished 9–5.[80] They won the C-USA West Division title and lost in the conference championship game against East Division champion Western Kentucky.[81] Tech then accomplished their third consecutive bowl victory by defeating Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl by kicking a late field goal to win 48–45.[82] In 2017 Louisiana Tech handily defeated SMU in the Frisco Bowl 51–10 in Frisco, Texas. Tech's fifth consecutive bowl win was in 2018 when the Bulldogs defeated Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl 31–14. In 2019, the Bulldogs finished 10–3 and continued the FBS's longest bowl winning streak at 6 with another victory over a P5 team in the Independence Bowl, defeating Miami, 14–0. It was the first G5 shutout of a P5 team ever in a bowl game and it was the first shutout in the Independence Bowl's 40+ year history. The Bulldogs went 5–5 in 2020, finishing with a 38–3 loss to Georgia Southern in the New Orleans Bowl. Holtz was fired after the 2021 season when the Bulldogs finished 3–9.[83]

During SL's (age 44) tenure, he beat Holtz (age 58) only once. The total record is....

2016 LT 45-NT 24

2017 NT 24 LT 23

2018 LT 29 NT 27

2019 LT 52 NT 17

2020 LT 42 NT 31

2021 LT 24 NT 17

Hmmm

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ntexeagle said:

Harsin failed miserably at Auburn and had the advantages that big time college football can offer.  To “step down” to the AAC could be a huge adjustment to him.  I’m not sure he would be well received here.

Would "stepping down" to the MWC be a huge adjustment to him?   Because he's already done that:
2014    Boise State    12–2  #16
2015    Boise State    9–4    
2016    Boise State    10–3        
2017    Boise State    11–3  #22
2018    Boise State    10–3  #23
2019    Boise State    12–2  #23
2020    Boise State    5–2

I think Holtz would be an underrated hire. He won't be expensive, he won't be looking to jump up at the next p5 opportunity as quickly, and he has won. 

The knock on him was that he hit a lull at Tech, but while the Tech fans are passionate, that place has a very hard ceiling. I think NT is a better job, and it would be interesting to see him when he has more resources. 

He can recruit the area, but also still has ties to Louisiana talent. I wouldn't hate it. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well Holtz is 58 and Dykes is 52. I'm not sure how young you need the coach to be, but the TCU fans (including the students) seemed pretty excited about what Dykes was giving them.

Most of them had heard of him because they had a rival that he coached and they knew how successful he was.  Doubt many of our students have heard of Skip Holz.  And I have no idea who has the most charisma between Dykes and Holzt.  That said I’d like to see somebody Seth’s age or younger.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

Most of them had heard of him because they had a rival that he coached and they knew how successful he was.  Doubt many of our students have heard of Skip Holz.  And I have no idea who has the most charisma between Dykes and Holzt.  That said I’d like to see somebody Seth’s age or younger.  

You know whoever it is, it better be the right choice this time, because we can least afford to waste another 5-6 years. 

• Lovely Take 2