Skip Holtz

meangreenbob

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

While I think he would be one of the better options to set us up for success, I think the optics of hiring a fired coach from what we perceive to be a lower level program would not be great.

TECH’S mistake. He won the USLF. Always seemed to out recruit us for local talent. Seemed to beat us more than lose to us while having inferior facilities and poor location in Ruston. 
For him it would be seen as a step up from Tech with our facilities and location and move to AAC. We could pay him less than Littrell. He isn’t making much at Birmingham. Maybe, as a friend said, Lou could come in once in awhile to speak to our team. 

Plus I believe you can “trust” him to embrace the opportunity. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

Skip is a winner and was 8-4 I’m bowls at La Tech - he churned out quite a few players that made it to the NFL (I think most in our Conf) Has a good recruiting history - been a HC several times, lots to like there! 

You could probably pay him a salary that allows us to pay for top assistant coaches. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

You could probably pay him a salary that allows us to pay for top assistant coaches. 

I want us to bring in top notch assistants that can recruit.  I cant state emphatically enough, we must learn from our hiring mistakes.  Littrell had no clue on how to recruit when he arrived here.  We can’t afford another mistake in that area.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I like Skip Holtz, I really do, but his ceiling isn’t high enough for those who wanted Littrell gone.

Yeah, we always feel like we need to go get that big P5 guy. We get one chance and we’ll probably blow it. 

Skip Holtz is the answer. Sitting right there. 

But we’ll look right past him. 

• Upvote 2

Is he also someone that was a good traditional recruiter, but is unproven when it comes to the portal?

He seemed to fall out of favor right around the time the portal business started, and it seems like a consensus that at this point working the portal is equally as important as traditional recruiting.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Is he also someone that was a good traditional recruiter, but is unproven when it comes to the portal?

He seemed to fall out of favor right around the time the portal business started, and it seems like a consensus that at this point working the portal is equally as important as traditional recruiting.

No worries. We should have the money to pay his salary and that of top notch assistants who are capable and qualified to maneuver the portal. 

Riley and Harrell are not options to me. Successful head coaching experience, can recruit, can evaluate talent and a plus, is familiar with our geographic area. Skip really does check the boxes. As someone stated raise the Assistant coaches salaries. We could double his USFL salary and still be under Seth's pay. He has greatly out coached us with much lesser facilities and support. 

Edited by Wag Tag

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Riley and Harrell are not options to me. Successful head coaching experience, can recruit, can evaluate talent and a plus, is familiar with our geographic area. Skip really does check the boxes. As someone stated raise the Assistant coaches salaries.. I'm a Blake Anderson fan. 

You would be crazy not to even consider Garrett Riley.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Riley and Harrell are not options to me. Successful head coaching experience, can recruit, can evaluate talent and a plus, is familiar with our geographic area. Skip really does check the boxes. As someone stated raise the Assistant coaches salaries.. I'm a Blake Anderson fan. 

as much as Anderson would fit, the current lawsuit against him and USU makes him Briles untouchable currently

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If you can't hire a big name recruiting machine to come to Denton, Skip Holtz is definitely my #2. He's a a better option than the FCS guys, the coordinator hire, etc. 

1. Big name guy that turns heads for recruiting 

2. Skip Holtz

Read that Chris Peterson is a target for UNLV’s current search. If that’s true, we need to go money whip him ASAP. Bring that Boise blueprint to Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I feel like Skip Holtz is just barely better than Seth.

Sure he won 7-8 games a year, and won his bowl games more often than not. But he never won the conference championship despite going to three of them.

Feels like we need to aspire for more. Maybe it was his lack of resources at LaTech. He had a lot of guys go to the NFL so the development and recruiting piece seems good. Just worry we'd be in a similar position in 5 years if we hired him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

I feel like Skip Holtz is just barely better than Seth.

Sure he won 7-8 games a year, and won his bowl games more often than not. But he never won the conference championship despite going to three of them.

Feels like we need to aspire for more. Maybe it was his lack of resources at LaTech. He had a lot of guys go to the NFL so the development and recruiting piece seems good. Just worry we'd be in a similar position in 5 years if we hired him.

This is why I like him.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Yeah, we always feel like we need to go get that big P5 guy. We get one chance and we’ll probably blow it. 

Skip Holtz is the answer. Sitting right there. 

But we’ll look right past him. 

I agree with you. I think Skip would do well here and my favorite thing about him is that his name is not Justin Fuente.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1