He is available....

Talon90

I absolutely understand both the apprehension/refusal to hire Dickey and the desire to have a home grown redemption career cap off story.   I absolutely think he could be successful here.  And I think he could absolutely recruit he pointing to his resume, since he left, practice facility named after him, and trophy case with the most recent conference titles UNT has.   I actually think it would be a low risk hire.  No one understands where UNT has been, how far we have come and seen the level we want to get to like he does.  He will definitely want to win and grow his legacy.

But I am curious also.  What is the fear?  He isn't bringing the power I option game back here.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 4

5 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

We need this man on the sidelines in 2023. DD for HC!

Naysayers please list your fears.  We need to hear them.  Some of you all seem really passionate about not bringing him back.  I don't recall all the messy details and ugly things he said over 18 years ago. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 5

13 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I absolutely understand both the apprehension/refusal to hire Dickey and the desire to have a home grown redemption career cap off story.   I absolutely think he could be successful here.  And I think he could absolutely recruit he pointing to his resume, since he left, practice facility named after him, and trophy case with the most recent conference titles UNT has.   I actually think it would be a low risk hire.  No one understands where UNT has been, how far we have come and seen the level we want to get to like he does.  He will definitely want to win and grow his legacy.

But I am curious also.  What is the fear?  He isn't bringing the power I option game back here.

Outside of him teaming up with Jimbo Fisher to run an absolute inept offense at ATM, no reason.

Also, since he's been a HC the game has changed in a tremendous way. Can he recruit at an extremely high level. Takes a lot of energy, committment, and consistency. It's never ending. Seeing him here and there on TV he looks beaten down. 

It's not the energy this place needs. 

• Upvote 4

Hey, while we're at it, we should equally consider bringing back Dan McCarney as coach.

He had a much better career than Dickey, three times as many bowl victories, and didn't have the jackass antics.

Sure McCarney would be a horrible hire, but he'd still be 1000% better than Dickey.

Legends Series: Dan McCarney reflects on his life and Iowa State Football -  Wide Right & Natty Lite

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Outside of him teaming up with Jimbo Fisher to run an absolute inept offense at ATM, no reason.

Good point but the definitive impression from all sources in the know is that Jimbo owns that offense with very little big strategic input from Dickey or anyone else.  As for his energy who knows.  But if he contacts leadership here requesting a chance to interview I would be worried about that.  In my mind he should want the job here as bad as his most diehard Mean Green fans do or more.  I doubt he is hurting for money and he retirement age for most regular professionals.  And he would be the recruiting closer not the road dog.  

• Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, ADLER said:

He had a much better career than Dickey, three times as many bowl victories, and didn't have the jackass antics.

Never let facts get in the way of bias against Dickey 🙄.  How do you win 1/3 of a Bowl Game?  1 New Orleans Bowl Victory = 1 Heart of Dallas Bowl Victory.   Also I doubt your accessment would be any different if Dickey's team had beaten their 2 other mediocre G5 bowl game opponents.   What they did elsewhere doesn't matter especially since Mac has not coached in any capacity since leaving here and turns 70 before the 2023 regular season.  

But enlighten us on the jackass antics from 18-20 years ago.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

Please call me back after you've looked up the word career.

Nevermind I will just write down your Dickey grievance entry as Dickey pissed in your Cheerios.  Because instead of offering specifics you want to bring up what a retired 69 year old coach did at a P5 program and make a joke. 🤷🏾‍♂️   A joke I might agree with if you have the fountain of youth or a time machine to go back and grab 55 year old Mac.   

Man and you were so correct about that 1000% better stuff. Mac's career winning rate is 0.400 while Dickey's is a pathetic 0.392. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Hey, while we're at it, we should equally consider bringing back Dan McCarney as coach.

Sure McCarney would be a horrible hire, but he'd still be 1000% better than Dickey.

Legends Series: Dan McCarney reflects on his life and Iowa State Football -  Wide Right & Natty Lite

Maybe not Mac but what's Skladany up to these days? That was the hardest hitting UNT defense I've ever seen. 

• Upvote 1