Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

17 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

That just how college football works, because recruiting is so important, the seasons sort of over lap, you cant wait until the end of the season to fire a coach.  Smart programs start building the next seasons program in late November early December.  This is the most important week of the transfer portal window and UNT has no one to do the recruiting, this is a major fail!

So in your mind... these are the 'smart' programs, the ones that are successful...

With the firing of Auburn's Bryan Harsin on the final day of October, six Power 5 head coaches have lost their jobs already this season. Harsin joins Scott Frost (Nebraska); Karl Dorrell (Colorado); Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech); Herm Edwards (Arizona State); and Paul Chryst (Wisconsin).

We can also add Charlotte, who fired Will Healy on Oct. 23. as a point of reference, none of these teams had winning records at the time, and the best record was Wisconsin's 2-3 under Paul Chryst.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup, their success is not sustainable. 

If Harris decides to leave, I expect UTSA to comeback to Earth. G5s don’t just replace a guy like that. 
And whenever Traylor leaves I have serious doubts they will continue winning. Outside of football, their programs are bad to mediocre. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

It wouldn’t have been right to fire him any sooner, coaches watch and would have taken note if we fired him mid season with a 6-4 record and a chance to be 8-4.     This is one year of recruiting, if we get the right coach then in 2 years it won’t matter - they’ll get the right players through recruiting and transfers and this year will be a distant memory.

USC fired their coach in September last year, how did they do???  And I hate to say it, a lot of the better coaching options have already found jobs, because most schools do not want be stuck in the middle of the transfer window with out a head coach. 

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

USC fired their coach in September last year, how did they do???  And I hate to say it, a lot of the better coaching options have already found jobs, because most schools do not want be stuck in the middle of the transfer window with out a head coach. 

USC fired their coach after two games last year on Sept. 13th... which sounds like they had no idea what they were doing going into the season and wasted the entire 2021 season because of it... This does not sound smart at all.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Sure, but after Traylor is gone, I doubt their strike gold twice in someone like Traylor as their coach and Harris as their QB. Their dominance will be short-lived

Traylor has literally run the same exact offense for as long as he's been a coach.  I watched this when he was HC at Gilmer high school and my wife's cousin was their starting center---probably 15 years ago.  The QB is a distributor to above average / elite running backs and receivers.  He's not asking his QB to make overly difficult throws.  He just needs him to be another running threat who is reasonably accurate.  Harris is great, don't get me wrong...but Traylor's system is solid and doesn't require a prototypical QB with crazy arm talent to win.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

USC fired their coach after two games last year on Sept. 13th... which sounds like they had no idea what they were doing going into the season and wasted the entire 2021 season because of it... This does not sound smart at all.

...and how did that end up for them???  Thats a program that will not tolerate a .500 season, when it started to look that way they pulled the plug and began the rebuild.  Starting their coaching search in September gave them time do a thorough search, and they were ready to go before the 21 season ended.

With the new transfer rules, SMART is having your coaches and AD in place December 5th when the job begins for the 2023 season. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

And landed a guy that was 1 game away from making the cfb playoffs and raking in millions of dollars for the school that their previous guy didn't have the ability to do. 

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

...and how did that end up for them???  Thats a program that will not tolerate a .500 season, when it started to look that way they pulled the plug and began the rebuild.  Starting their coaching search in September gave them time do a thorough search, and they were ready to go before the 21 season ended.

With the new transfer rules, SMART is having your coaches and AD in place December 5th when the job begins for the 2023 season. 

They lost 8 games in 2021... in other words, they wasted an entire season of football... which i think is your argument of not having a coach right now...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And landed a guy that was 1 game away from making the cfb playoffs and raking in millions of dollars for the school that their previous guy didn't have the ability to do. 

after wasting a season of football... i don't understand this argument... if you are telling me it's smart to be the first person in college football to fire your head coach during the season, then i understand that you previously did not know how to hire a coach...

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

after wasting a season of football... i don't understand this argument... if you are telling me it's smart to be the first person in college football to fire your head coach during the season, then i understand that you previously did not know how to hire a coach...

It was going to be a typical wasted season under Clay Helton of 7-5/8-4, same ole. Doesn't matter. 

8 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I understand what you are saying but we have to agree to disagree.   That was not even close to our situation, they are USC.  We can have the same expectations, but we don’t have the same resources.   In MY opinion, you have to do the best you can with what resource we have.  You are throwing around ideas like we have unlimited money.   The fact of the matter is USC can buyout any contract they want at any time.   Us buying out SL is taking critical money away from other things, you can’t just ignore that unless you have 2M you are going to pitch in for us.   iF SL had somehow gotten it together, we would have been financially FAR better off than we are now - it was both worth the chance and it was the right thing to do.

It was the right thing to do to for us  to let SL see if he can right the ship. He couldn’t and now we, and he, are paying a price for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If Harris decides to leave, I expect UTSA to comeback to Earth. G5s don’t just replace a guy like that. 
And whenever Traylor leaves I have serious doubts they will continue winning. Outside of football, their programs are bad to mediocre. 

Their soccer team did beat us in the semis though 😞

8 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Their soccer team did beat us in the semis though 😞

Yeah, I have learned to truly hate nUTSAck   🙂

Thank goodness we have leadership at the top that isn't satisfied with mediocrity in any program, including athletics!  Seth brought us some great memories, but it was absolutely time to move on.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

I understand what you are saying but we have to agree to disagree.   That was not even close to our situation, they are USC.  We can have the same expectations, but we don’t have the same resources.   In MY opinion, you have to do the best you can with what resource we have.  You are throwing around ideas like we have unlimited money.   The fact of the matter is USC can buyout any contract they want at any time.   Us buying out SL is taking critical money away from other things, you can’t just ignore that unless you have 2M you are going to pitch in for us.   iF SL had somehow gotten it together, we would have been financially FAR better off than we are now - it was both worth the chance and it was the right thing to do.

It was the right thing to do to for us  to let SL see if he can right the ship. He couldn’t and now we, and he, are paying a price for that.

I mean UNT has $10m/year to hire Nick Saban or another top coach away right? That's what USC has to work with, IIRC he and his family get a 24/7 access to a private jet. Comparing them to us is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Traylor has literally run the same exact offense for as long as he's been a coach.  I watched this when he was HC at Gilmer high school and my wife's cousin was their starting center---probably 15 years ago.  The QB is a distributor to above average / elite running backs and receivers.  He's not asking his QB to make overly difficult throws.  He just needs him to be another running threat who is reasonably accurate.  Harris is great, don't get me wrong...but Traylor's system is solid and doesn't require a prototypical QB with crazy arm talent to win.

Yep, lots of counter plays, zone reads, quick screens, and no huddle. He was one of the first coaches in East Texas to run the no huddle spread.

15 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

You know, if players like the Murphy twins would have honored their commitments and continued playing for Littrell, he might have won more games and kept his job. Just saying.

Those brothers played since HS for the chance to play on Sunday.  There's a lot of guys on our teams that know they aren't Sunday material, the Murphy twins know they could be. 

Face it, the twins had a glitzy P5 school in a huge media market with DTR as QB and Chip Kelly on the upswing... Or Denton where they were MAYBE going to get to a bowl game in 2021, but even that was unknown till the Saturday after Thanksgiving '21.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1