Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

timing couldn't be worse, right on the eve of the transfer window, how many current players are going to jump ship?  how many coaches?  They should have fired him a month ago, and could have hired a new coach in place ready to build a team.  But now it seems they are throwing next season away. 

Agree. We could have had Thom Herman!

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

timing couldn't be worse, right on the eve of the transfer window, how many current players are going to jump ship?  how many coaches?  They should have fired him a month ago, and could have hired a new coach in place ready to build a team.  But now it seems they are throwing next season away. 

Couldn’t agree more…the Sunday after the Memphis loss was the correct time.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, breaker110 said:

Great news. . . I am not sure what happened with SL. . . but he needs to "find himself" if he wants a long career in coaching.

We need to consider in the next 5-10 years that a coach may need to be bi-lingual English Spanish.

Also, I see no problem in having an international coach with roots in another country's football league. https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/the-best-international-american-football-leagues-to-follow/

And I Oop Oh My GIF by ScooterMagruder

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, breaker110 said:

Great news. . . I am not sure what happened with SL. . . but he needs to "find himself" if he wants a long career in coaching.

We need to consider in the next 5-10 years that a coach may need to be bi-lingual English Spanish.

Also, I see no problem in having an international coach with roots in another country's football league. https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/the-best-international-american-football-leagues-to-follow/

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

You've got to rip the bandaid off sometime. This decision has already been delayed a year, we can't afford to delay it for another one. If players leave then so be it, they will do what's best for themselves. I hope whoever is brought in can surprise us in how they can pull guys in from the portal. If the core of this team stays together I would think they would only need to strengthen some spots instead of having to do a full rebuild. 

The time to fire a college coach (rip the bandaid) is in October, and a new coaches are hired before recruiting window opens (which is today).  This year there is a limited amount of time for players to enter the portal... Not having a coach, coaching staff, or even an AD in place for that very important transfer window is idiotic!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

It’s a common thought. A week ago I can tell you people who have graduated from archer programs laughed when I shared that people thought we should fire Seth. 
- To be fair who will we get who can do any better next season… a 50/50 record and bowl games and fired is a bit odd for a smaller school to do for bigger schools fans. 

Who cares what the fans at "bigger" schools think.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

36 minutes ago, rcade said:

Fans at bigger schools are outraged that we don't accept forever losing bowl games and being stomped in OOC games against good teams.

I am beginning to suspect they don't have our best interests at heart.

Them or UTSA graduates. Several UTSA grads seemed very pressed that we let Seth go. It's almost like they enjoyed having him as our coach

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Them or UTSA graduates. Several UTSA grads seemed very pressed that we let Seth go. It's almost like they enjoyed having him as our coach

Their time is coming.  Traylor ain't long for San Antonio.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, MrAlien said:

the timing could have definitely been worse... 

They could have fired him right before a signing day, and all of UNT's recruits could have bailed...

They could have fired him the night before our first game leaving the season as a waste...

They could have fired him the day after him signing an extension, and would have owed him a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Not so sure about that.  If they continue to gather the support of San Antonio, they will always be a threat.

Sure, but after Traylor is gone, I doubt their strike gold twice in someone like Traylor as their coach and Harris as their QB. Their dominance will be short-lived

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

UNT only had 1 conference loss in October, and was sitting at 6-4 with a very real possibility of running the table to finish 8-4. That would have saved SL's job even with a CCG loss, the university was committed to let SL have a fair shot at keeping his job. 

The timing isn't perfect for sure, but it's better to do it now than waste another year floundering in the AAC, while having to spend more money because you had to extend your coach. I'd wager a lot of planning and prep had already been put in place by WB, Mosley, and Smatresk. 

That just how college football works, because recruiting is so important, the seasons sort of over lap, you cant wait until the end of the season to fire a coach.  Smart programs start building the next seasons program in late November early December.  This is the most important week of the transfer portal window and UNT has no one to do the recruiting, this is a major fail!

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

That just how college football works, because recruiting is so important, the seasons sort of over lap, you cant wait until the end of the season to fire a coach.  Smart programs start building the next seasons program in late November early December.  This is the most important week of the transfer portal window and UNT has no one to do the recruiting, this is a major fail!

It wouldn’t have been right to fire him any sooner, coaches watch and would have taken note if we fired him mid season with a 6-4 record and a chance to be 8-4.     This is one year of recruiting, if we get the right coach then in 2 years it won’t matter - they’ll get the right players through recruiting and transfers and this year will be a distant memory.

• Upvote 1