Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

There've been about 10 players on twitter that have tweeted negative reactions to this move...

All they had to do was play better and win and they would still have their coach.  Simple as that.  It was in their control.  Apparently he needed 1 more win and THEY didn't do it for him.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I will say this and this should probably have a pinned thread dedicated to this...

We're going to have a lot of 'I told you so's' next year due to the probable record that UNT will have. We probably want be .500 and we won't be bowling. But make no mistake, that will not mean we aren't a better team. Just note that. Fold it up and put it in your pocket and remember this. 

I mean, there's a chance our next coaching hire is actually BAD, but that doesn't mean that keeping Seth was the answer. You can't be afraid of change. Success is not always linear.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Monkeypox said:

I mean, there's a chance our next coaching hire is actually BAD, but that doesn't mean that keeping Seth was the answer. You can't be afraid of change. Success is not always linear.

That's all true. 

But, I think Smastrek is going to do his homework. I suspect a named hire. I really think this will be a homerun hire. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

This is no surprise.  The guy recruited them here, he was in the locker room with them, and he (more than) likely is a mentor to them.  

They are supposed to be emotional when their coach is gone.  

Luckily Smatresk isn’t a football player and could make a business decision. 

And Littrell's players are also wondering how they will fit into the new coach's system. Truth is some of them won't. 

• Upvote 2

timing couldn't be worse, right on the eve of the transfer window, how many current players are going to jump ship?  how many coaches?  They should have fired him a month ago, and could have hired a new coach in place ready to build a team.  But now it seems they are throwing next season away. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

timing couldn't be worse, right on the eve of the transfer window, how many current players are going to jump ship?  how many coaches?  They should have fired him a month ago, and could have hired a new coach in place ready to build a team.  But now it seems they are throwing next season away. 

You've got to rip the bandaid off sometime. This decision has already been delayed a year, we can't afford to delay it for another one. If players leave then so be it, they will do what's best for themselves. I hope whoever is brought in can surprise us in how they can pull guys in from the portal. If the core of this team stays together I would think they would only need to strengthen some spots instead of having to do a full rebuild. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

It’s a common thought. A week ago I can tell you people who have graduated from archer programs laughed when I shared that people thought we should fire Seth. 
- To be fair who will we get who can do any better next season… a 50/50 record and bowl games and fired is a bit odd for a smaller school to do for bigger schools fans. 

Top tier schools fire long tenured coaches for hovering at .500 on a regular basis.

You're saying things, but they're not true.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Word to the wise:  Don’t argue about NT goings-on with this poster.  You’re wrong if 9299 says you are.

Not joking.

Most of the posters on the board speculate when they don't know the answers. 9299 Does know the accurate information.

• Upvote 3

Wish SL the best. He was a man of integrity and started out pretty good, but he never fully adapted to the portal and didn't find the answer at QB since Harrel and Mason Fine left, and also never got the defense fully right. I assume he'll be a sought after coordinator in 2023 and maybe get another shot at HC down the line, and I wouldn't call the respective program idiots.

But it was time. Had he not made the conference championship this would have happened a week earlier, which would have increased the candidate pool. NT is 0-10 vs FBS competition in OOC in the last 4 seasons.

Lots of NonNT -and even some NT -folks who don't get it: Yes NT should expect more than .500 particularly in a conference as C-USA was.

It is clear that opinions diverge on who the next coach should be. I am hoping for someone with hunger -maybe proven at the FCS level- who is willing to take a bit less, so the rest can be funneled to NIL. Say Eric Morris or so. i could also live with Baby Briles (not cheap), so long as he signs that he will never hire his dad (fair or not, it would be a serious reputation problem, football is first and foremost advertising for the university so that does not play).

• Upvote 3

Great news. . . I am not sure what happened with SL. . . but he needs to "find himself" if he wants a long career in coaching.

We need to consider in the next 5-10 years that a coach may need to be bi-lingual English Spanish.

Also, I see no problem in having an international coach with roots in another country's football league. https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/the-best-international-american-football-leagues-to-follow/

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

There’s this one…

We can all speculate why this happened the way it did. Maybe in their meeting Seth said extend me now or let me go ??

Players needs their time to let their emotions settled and then make decisions that are best for Themselves. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This is no surprise.  The guy recruited them here, he was in the locker room with them, and he (more than) likely is a mentor to them.  

They are supposed to be emotional when their coach is gone.  

Luckily Smatresk isn’t a football player and could make a business decision. 

Correct I feel bad they couldn't enjoy preparing for the bowl game without this.  But this program absolutely has to get away from making decisions with an emotional tint to them.  A lot of people around this program want to operate like we have 50 million dollars coming in every year and a 70% full Apogee no matter how bad the team is.  And if we had that someone like Seth is a little more successful here and we probably aren't firing him.  🤷🏾‍♂️.  And player really should chill see who is hired and which assistants get retained.  

• Upvote 3

Seems a lot of people want the players to have it both ways. We keep hearing with NIL and the Transfer Portal when players make moves how this is a business. Well welcome to business in the real world young men. I really liked what Deion told his new players - (to paraphrase) changes have been made and more are coming. Be a part of it, or there's the Portal

• Upvote 7