Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

15 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I am hoping for a hire similar to his hire. it just didn't work out long term, but worked out for the first 3-4 years.

Mason Fine & Harrell worked the 3-4 years.  We need a better "offensive mind" than just getting lucky with a too short QB without other major scholarships offers.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I am still in shock that this happened but very happy!  Sorry for coach though but he will go to TCU and be ok.

I appreciate everything Seth did for our program but he has a 1 million dollar buyout to help him get over this. He'll be just fine.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I laughed because it is probably true, painful as that is.  Seth isn't even here for 2022 if Phil doesn't get the defense playing decently for the 2nd half of 2021 season.  

Yeah i mean its true. Defense was never great but he made them significantly better and helped Littrell develop some as a HC. Sadly it wasn’t enough to fix all of the issues

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

The powers that be aren’t obligated to show their hand.

I think public universities in Texas hiring a coach or AD have to go through a public job posting and hiring process and can't just do what they want behind closed doors.

Which probably means they just have to pretend it's an open competition for a little while before they can do what they wanted anyway.

• Upvote 6

This just came in my email box.  What an exciting night it has been.

DENTON, Texas – UNT President Neal Smatresk announced Sunday a leadership change for UNT football with head coach Seth Littrell being dismissed, effective immediately.

“After a thorough assessment of our football program, we decided to make a change in the leadership of our football program, effective immediately. We appreciate the many positive contributions Coach Littrell has made to our program. He has led the team with integrity and class, and we wish him and his family nothing but the best in the future,” UNT President Neal Smatresk said.

“We will begin a search immediately to find the best head coach for UNT football. I believe we are positioned to be highly competitive in the American Athletic Conference. We have the benefit of a passionate fan base, great facilities and resources, and we are committed to excellence in football with a support system that is dedicated to developing elite student-athletes. We will be looking for a leader with the vision, energy, commitment, and organizational skills to elevate our program to a championship level. Phil Bennett will serve as our interim head coach for the Frisco Bowl on December 17.”

Littrell compiled a 44-44 record in seven seasons with the Mean Green.

Additionally, Smatresk has named Jared Mosley as Interim Director of Athletics following Wren Baker’s departure to West Virginia. Mosley currently serves as Associate Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for UNT Athletics.

“I am pleased that Jared has agreed to serve as our interim AD,” Smatresk said. “He will continue managing day-to-day functions of the athletics department until we have named a permanent director of athletics. Jared has experience leading an athletics department and has a strong track record at UNT. I am confident in his ability to lead the department during this time of transition.”

UNT has begun work with a search firm to quickly move through the process of selecting Baker’s successor.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

I’ve been saying this needed to happen….but I’m not going to jump up and down and celebrate. I’ve always said I seriously liked Littrell personally. He got us out of the mess we were in. He showed us what our potential is, he just couldn’t get us to the next level. He is an honorable man, ran a clean program, and our players were true student athletes. I honestly wish he COULD have got us to the next level. But at the end of the day, he just couldn’t. I hope he finds success and I think he’ll have no problem getting a good job somewhere.

The really good part about this though is the administration has decided to raise the bar and just being better than we always have been is not good enough anymore.

Classy post man.  Could not have said it better myself.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The absolute disrespect on Twitter from non-UNT people...

As if, how dare we fire a .500 coach at North Texas. 

But, then again, we have freaking alumni that will read this post that genuinely believe the same thing. 

For sure.  We aren't just fighting Old Denton, we have a massive battle against national perceptions in front of us.

• Thanks 1