K. C. Keeler makes too much Sense

Mike Jackson

I believe he is the best affordable and available hire we could make.  I really want an experienced successful FCS Head Coach (with key members from his support staff) familiar with recruiting in our state with disadvantages.  Yes I dream we could grab Gary Patterson with fire in his belly to take over DFW FBS football again.  I don't think UNT has the budget to pay the assistants he would want to bring with him.  Keeler makes under 600k right now.   We tripple his salary and he can bring the best of his staff with him and they would probably get similar raises.  He has put in the time, worked hard and been successful.  Probably better hire than Seth for UNT at the time Seth was flirting with KSU.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._C._Keeler

22A0B813-D0B3-46C0-8841-A44A4AA39AA8.jpeg.f22df2e57e302b1d18fa3b6f65853a02.jpeg

That is part the reason I am furious that Seth is still here. The relationship leadership and fanbase around here is as if guys like Keeler don't exist and that Seth was our only chance to be successful.   Give this guy or someone like him 5 years, give him modest raises that don't extend his time here until they actually win some hardware or you get to year 4 and you've seen consistent improvement.  I found this guy with a Google search imagine what so called professionals should be able to do. 🤣

Edited by Mike Jackson
Added link
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 12
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

And to the downvoters; what do you want to see?  An FCS Championship winning  head coach not good enough for UNT?   I would appreciate your thoughts as to why Keeler not good hire and who realistically in the school's budget range would be better and available.

No downvote from me, but suggesting UNT needs to go with the most “economic” choice right now is not gonna go over well.

maybe you meant more economical than Gary, which might make sense.

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I believe the best economic hire we could make.  I really want an experienced successful FCS Head Coach (with key members from his support staff) familiar with recruiting in our state with disadvantages.  Yes I dream we could grab Gary Patterson with fire in his belly to take over DFW FBS football again.  I don't think UNT has the budget to pay the assistants he would want to bring with him.  Keeler makes under 600k right now.   We tripple his salary and he can bring the best of his staff with him and they would probably get similar raises.  He has put in the time, worked hard and been successful.  Probably better hire than Seth for UNT at the time Seth was flirting with KSU.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._C._Keeler

22A0B813-D0B3-46C0-8841-A44A4AA39AA8.jpeg.f22df2e57e302b1d18fa3b6f65853a02.jpeg

That is part the reason I am furious that Seth is still here. The relationship leadership and fanbase around here is as if guys like Keeler don't exist and that Seth was our only chance to be successful.   Give this guy or someone like him 5 years, give him modest raises that don't extend his time here until they actually win some hardware or you get to year 4 and you've seen consistent improvement.  I found this guy with a Google search imagine what so called professionals should be able to do. 🤣

Well seeing as SHSU is joining CUSA next year? I really don’t see this as a possibility. 

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

No downvote from me, but suggesting UNT needs to go with the most “economic” choice right now is not gonna go over well.

maybe you meant more economical than Gary, which might make sense.

I definitely get that maybe I should have said "within our budget range".   I really hope we don't skimp on assistants just to get a "big name" at the top.   Herman may have been my choice if we went that route, I think he is top notch on straight X & Os.   You get hungry, hard worker, that are good recuirters who are currently undervalued were they are under a "big name" with great schemes and you have something.  I just would prefer a staff with an hour apparent on it when the current coach retires or moves up top P5 job.

Keeler took over for Fritz after he went to Tulane.  Recruiting at Sam is tough.  Is Keeler the right guy?  I don’t know.  I went to quite a few games the last couple of years due to my youngest going to school there and all.  Does he win the championship if Trey Lance doesn’t play for NDSU in the Spring 2021 season?  Probably not.  But he is personable and can get some overlooked kids to go to Huntsville of all places.  Not sure how  Sam moving up to CUSA next season impacts him fielding looks.  Could be a good coach for UNT.  

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This take is moronic.  Do you realize that K-State has won every game since they lost their "star QB"?

The real question is how moronic is it to hang on to an "offensive mind coach" who can't find or coachup a good starting QB?  Or how long do you give him to prove that he can't.  You a poop pooping  this guy for not having 2 serviceable quarterbacks.  Maybe 2 rings and a couple of coach of the year awards might have you give him a pass.  🤣

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

And to the downvoters; what do you want to see?  An FCS Championship winning  head coach not good enough for UNT?   I would appreciate your thoughts as to why Keeler not good hire and who realistically in the school's budget range would be better and available.

Our budget is not a concern any more. It’s not 2003. 

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

The real question is how moronic is it to hang on to an "offensive mind coach" who can't find or coachup a good starting QB?  Or how long do you give him to prove that he can't.  You a poop pooping  this guy for not having 2 serviceable quarterbacks.  Maybe 2 rings and a couple of coach of the year awards might have you give him a pass.  🤣

Was this somehow intended as a response to my post?  If so, you'll need to explain how.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, zenhuddy said:

Good suggestion- as for anyone questioning his level of success i.e. fcs, etc - look at what happened at Kansas and their div 3 coach - had they not lost their star QB they would have won 2-3 more games ! 

Just a small correction...he was at Buffalo for 6 seasons prior to KU.  But, if you want to use the point for Buffalo you still could.🙂