Time to hire Briles

UNT 04

54 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So why are you holding Baby responsible for his fathers sins?  It's not right to do that man.  My dad wasn't a saint and thank god people are judging me on my own accomplishments.

Go back and find his quote about "having white girls". That's all on "Baby" (as you call him). If he was dumb F'ng stupid enough to say that, where do you think his dumbass learned that from?? I'm a father, I'm not white, but as a father that F'ng infuriates me. 

That's why I said, I'm not willing to sell our souls to the devil. The revisiting in 2 years was a tongue in cheek comment....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Just now, Got5onIt said:

Go back and find his quote about "having white girls". That's all on "Baby" (as you call him). If he was dumb F'ng stupid enough to say that, where do you think his dumbass learned that from?? I'm a father, I'm not white, but as a father that F'ng infuriates me. 

And your son hasn't had one judgement error or made a mistake that you had to teach him over?  Come on man, get out of the glass houses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Jonnyeagle said:

And your son hasn't had one judgement error or made a mistake that you had to teach him over?  Come on man, get out of the glass houses. 

Absolutely, but I can forgive a teenager and teach him. 35 year old man is another subject. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Son of Spiriki said:

It's not about cause; it's about accountability and leadership. Art Briles never told any of his players to go out and get some. Art Briles didn't supervise battery, rapes, or sexual assaults. Art Briles, as head coach of the Baylor Bears, oversaw the recruiting of these players and was leading the program at the time they committed these crimes.

There was extensive documentation of why Art Briles was fired, and it all boils down to this: a loss of institutional control. That loss of institutional control started was centered on the football team but more broadly included the former AD, now Liberty's AD, Ian McCaw and the former Chancellor and President of the university Ken Starr. If you'd like to read the summary of the Pepper Hamilton report, it's here: https://www.baylor.edu/thefacts/doc.php/266596.pdf 

A head coach in any sport at any level is responsible for their team and accountable for their team's culture. That's exceptionally true of FBS football programs. A head coach isn't only responsible for what goes on in between the lines on Saturdays; they're also responsible for the attitude and culture around the team off the field. It's chasing success at all costs in the former that led to a toxic disaster in the latter.

If you're in public university leadership, you simply cannot bring a person with that kind of record into the fold. Hiring someone with that background opens the athletics program and the university at large up a whole elective dimension of institutional risk.

My feeling about Briles as a coach is that if he wasn't going to get a shot at Liberty, it's never going to happen. The set up there was the most ideal setup in FBS college football for him: a small, culturally-conservative school coming off a successful run with another former FBS college football coach with ample personal baggage of his own and the presence of the former Baylor AD who hired him at Baylor and should, in principle, know him better than just about anyone. From everything I've read, Briles was never seriously considered. If the guy who hired you at Baylor won't hire you again at an institution that's practically tailored for you, that sends a quiet but profound message to the rest of the college football world about you.

Thank you for such a reasonable detailed post.  I just didn't have the patience to dig in and explain all this and look up what happened at Liberty. 

• Thanks 1

There was a lot of looking the other way down there, but the most obvious sign that something was wrong was when he brought in the LBer from Boise that got kicked out for assaulting his girlfriend.  I think the timing of the charges there makes this hard to completely follow/pin, but that dude caused enough trouble that even BOISE couldn’t justify keeping him.  Briles and Bennett knew that he was trouble and went and got him anyway.  It was that move that raised enough eyebrows around the Big 12 that serious investigation soon followed.

So those acting like it’s unreasonable to hold a parent accountable for their kid’s behavior need to stop.  Parents don’t get to pick their kids.  College coaches do.  Briles and his staff overlooked serious character flaws repeatedly in favor of talent and wins.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

There was a lot of looking the other way down there, but the most obvious sign that something was wrong was when he brought in the LBer from Boise that got kicked out for assaulting his girlfriend.  I think the timing of the charges there makes this hard to completely follow/pin, but that dude caused enough trouble that even BOISE couldn’t justify keeping him.  Briles and Bennett knew that he was trouble and went and got him anyway.  It was that move that raised enough eyebrows around the Big 12 that serious investigation soon followed.

So those acting like it’s unreasonable to hold a parent accountable for their kid’s behavior need to stop.  Parents don’t get to pick their kids.  College coaches do.  Briles and his staff overlooked serious character flaws repeatedly in favor of talent and wins.

Not that I’m for AB, but why was he the only one with a “death sentence “ the entire staff and the AD are just as guilty. Yet they are mostly flourishing in college football. We bring PB in and only get minimal flack, Montgomery and Gillespie get gigs at Christian/private schools. AD goes to Liberty. And Briles is exiled overseas or to Mt Vernon 

• Upvote 1