Time to hire Briles

UNT 04

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How does a coach create such a culture?

The culture he helped create was to ignore serious crimes, not to make them happen. He and a bunch of others at Baylor had a chance to step up and do the right thing and they never did.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

@rcade and @Cr1028 it is ridiculous to continue this debate.  For us to even consider Art Briles there would have to be guaranteed success.  And to warrant thr negative PR that guaranteed success would mean a sold out Apogee, a 2 loss season, and an appearance in the expanded playoff in 2024 or 2025.  Would you guarantee that @Cr1028?   Yes it is unfair to Art.  But that's life.  Art has plenty of money for a nice comfortable retirement and his children have good careers of their own.  Kendall has a good job now and will probably get a better one in the near future.   Maybe even here but not with Art as Head Coach.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

Art Briles coached at Mt. Vernon HS (Dandy Don Meredith hometown) for a couple years then resigned for some reason.  Not sure if he thought he would get an opportunity in college or what by resigning.  

Seth has to go.  It’s time to find someone else to lead the program into the AAC and forward.  

1 minute ago, rcade said:

He was sick of teaching social studies.

I don’t think that was it.  I did hear that his hiring in Mt Vernon was a shock to some in the town as they hadn’t heard about the board considering him until it was a done deal then announced.  

• Upvote 1

Ok, so say you can get him by the donors, the students and fans…and even the media storm.  Can he still recruit?  I say no.  The single biggest reason for his success was he was a fantastic recruiter.  His classes weren’t always the highest ranked on signing day, but they dang sure found game changing players and got them to Houston and Baylor.  I don’t see that happening for him again…but who knows.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

…nobody even knows what specifically Briles did or didn’t do to cause a single sexual assault… 

This is exactly why I brought up Joe Mixon.  Dude knocked a girl out with a Mike Tyson punch which is caught on video and he’s now making millions and being cheered for on Sundays.  How is that not worse than what Briles did or didn’t do?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

Personally, I wouldn't have a strong objection to either but Art was responsible for his staff's behavior.  He was likely involved in the coverup or he was, at least, guilty in the world's eye.  Kendall, I believe, has only been a coordinator.

I would want a proven current or former FBS head coach if possible.  The only FCS coach that I would have taken a chance on was grabbed up by Texas State.  (Sorry, Lifer...TSU-SM).

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

This is exactly why I brought up Joe Mixon.  Dude knocked a girl out with a Mike Tyson punch which is caught on video and he’s now making millions and being cheered for on Sundays.  How is that not worse than what Briles did or didn’t do?  

And Deshaun Watson returned to Houston today to face his old team and signed jerseys and took pics with former teammates. Why anyone on his former team would associate with him after his quitting on the team and town is beyond me.  The pro athletes sicken me among with others who act in a manner like Mixon and Watson.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenATO said:

OK, I’ll bite.

This is an absolutely absurd take and some of y’all need to check yourselves. 

Since I graduated in 2013, I’ve always had a ton of pride in North Texas. My UNT lanyard has been on nearly all my press credentials over the years — from UIL championships to the Super Bowl. Last year I got involved with a scholarship program at the Mayborn.

A winning football program is great. But it is not worth it for a program we can’t be proud of. You can win whatever with Art Briles and none of it will matter. It is not worth it and UNT should always strive for being better than that. 

Ben Baby

Well written!  Great take! I completely agree. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t mind a downvote…whatever, but for whoever gave a puking eagle to my last post:  You think what Art Briles did is worse than what Joe Mixon did?  People like Joe Mixon are the ones that Briles “didn’t control.”  So if my son commits a crime, I’m the one who should be punished?  Just odd that you can think someone who actually committed assault against a women is the better person.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 5

16 hours ago, NT93 said:

I don’t mind a downvote…whatever, but for whoever gave a puking eagle to my last post:  You think what Art Briles did is worse than what Joe Mixon did?  People like Joe Mixon are the ones that Briles “didn’t control.”  So if my son commits a crime, I’m the one who should be punished?  Just odd that you can think someone who actually committed assault against a women is the better person.

He's the leader of the football organization as a whole.    When confronted with info about it, he just kicked the can, kept mum, and basically ignored young women's trauma.

Art Briles is a hard "NO" for me, and probably the only person who would keep me from re-upping my tix.

Not that any of this matters anyway.   There's no way on Earth the UNT student body would allow Neal to get away with that hire.   Period.   It's not a headache he wants, and there are other coaches available who can win just as well as Art.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Not ready to sell our soul to the devil. We're close but not quite there yet. Let's revisit after 2 years in the AAC....

So why are you holding Baby responsible for his fathers sins?  It's not right to do that man.  My dad wasn't a saint and thank god people are judging me on my own accomplishments.

• Puking Eagle 1