Time to hire Briles

UNT 04

I said this a couple of years ago to some of my friends and got absolutely destroyed. The only concern I have from a football perspective is would Briles be able to adapt to the change that has occurred in the last few years? I think right now there are some better candidates that would be better acclimated to the current landscape of college football

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

It isn't about that unfortunately, I don't want the bad optics.   Maybe if I got a guarantee no player(s) do anything henious while he is here I would be behind it.  I don't want UNT to take the risk how ever minimal you believe they are.  I would take Baby Briles happily.

If he wins the bad optics go away. Freeze at Liberty and Dion at JSU erased their bad optics. Bring him in on the cheap with a incentive contract with no buy out.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I said this a couple of years ago to some of my friends and got absolutely destroyed. The only concern I have from a football perspective is would Briles be able to adapt to the change that has occurred in the last few years? I think right now there are some better candidates that would be better acclimated to the current landscape of college football

He turned a traditional bad HS program into a state champion at Mt vernon. Granted he wasn't the coach when they won but he built it. He still knows football 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

Just now, EagleTech said:

It’s not just about giving Art a chance. Even if the university decides to hire him, he is almost 70 and has been out of the game for 7-8 years. He would also have to recruit and convince parents to overcome any concerns they may have about his past. This would have a very high chance of failing disastrously.

Had no problem getting kids to move their whole family to a small town to be coached under him at Mt Vernon. Ain't much going on in that town beside briles

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 3

Whether you agree with it or not, a move like this will negatively affect the public's overall university perception. There is zero chance that the top of the university would allow an aggressive football coach hire to do the perception damage that would happen to the University as a whole. 0%.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
Typo
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Whether you agree with it or not, a move like this with negatively affect the public's overall university perception. There is zero chance that the top of the university would allow an aggressive football coach hire to do the perception damage that would happen to the University as a whole. 0%.

Sadly your right, while at the same time we are lauded for starting a program to help educate and give convicted inmates a second chance (which by the way I am 100% in favor of)

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Whether you agree with it or not, a move like this will negatively affect the public's overall university perception. There is zero chance that the top of the university would allow an aggressive football coach hire to do the perception damage that would happen to the University as a whole. 0%.

It's like Jerry has always said. Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There are so many options out there, I refuse to believe Briles has to be the best answer for our football program.

Good or bad, there would definitely be a lot of buzz. We have never had buzz in football. We would be in the news and when all the furor dies down, I believe he would bring a winner to Denton. That's what he does. So the question is, do we want to continue with half-assing it, or do we want to win in our new conference?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Its bad optics, and optics mean money

A reputation of irrelevant is the real bad optics and it will cost you $$.If Liberty and JSU didn’t take a risk would we have ever heard of those schools? We are not the school that can hire coaches on the same standard as P5’s. It is time to do something bold! 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

With so many good candidates out there, why would we go after someone nearing the age of 70 that would draw negative publicity?  

Exactly. We need to look at this realistically, regardless of how the accusations against him have unfolded: 1.) We need younger blood, and 2.) For whatever reasons, valid or not, he's been out of coaching at the college level for 7 years. You don't keep your talents fresh by not using them, and there have been sea changes in college football since then. And we have recent experiences with hiring someone with associations from that period of Baylor football. For that, we lost an offensive coordinator position being fully staffed for a year due to subsequent accusations, as muddled or unjust as they were.

• Upvote 1

I was watching Last chance U last night on net flicks  I guess season two.  That teams has goes from Texas Tech, Penn State, Florida and Georgia.    On the on message board you can see which schools recruit there,  Any LATECH is right in the center with their big logo in the middle  of it.  Free pub for them.  The linebacker from Texas TECH was charged with burglary and was let go by tech.  The guy seems like a talent and watching the show it is hard to believe the guy did it.  Unlike most of the other players the guy cares about school.  Wonder if we ever pick from that junior college.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, Cr1028 said:

Yep, I can’t believe how people see Briles as untouchable and the scum of the earth when he did not touch a single woman inappropriately or encourage a single player to touch a woman inappropriately. Meanwhile, Deshaun Watson, who actually was inappropriate with several women received a $45 million signing bonus and will make an additional $61k 1.5 hours from now to play a football game in front of several of his victims. 

Pro football with guaranteed revenue regardless of the morality or lack thereof is not remotely the same thing.  , Cleveland's stadium is full today and will be for years to come REGARDLESS of what Watson did or does off the field.   There are only 32 franchises in the NFL and their ONLY missions are winning and making money.  A good QB has more direct impact on winning than a head coach.   The Brown's NFL revenue share is guaranteed;  no conference realignment, or weak NCAA swayed by the media that might take away scholarships and post season eligibility.   It Sounds like you are more personally but hurt because your "football wizard" wasn't instantly welcomed by 90% of the fans on this board.  I am 100% this man getting a second chance.  But he is almost 70.  This isn't quick fix and the program doesn't have a strong culture.  I have NOTHING personally against Briles.   I wouldn't want an All American 5 star QB transfer who beat 25 allegations of sexual assault at UNT either.  🙄

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1