Time to hire Briles

UNT 04

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

If Deshaun Watson can be the highest paid player in NFL history then Art Briles can be a college head coach again.

Joe Mixon is collecting a nice check as well and there is no question about what he did.  

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Baby Briles maybe. He is about ready for an FBS HC job. But his Dad...fair or not, its not happening and the university can't afford the reputation hit that brings, his son would have to sign in writing not to bring him in. If sports justifies the money the university invests in it by being "the window to the university" then that kind of reputation trouble with too significant a portion of the population cannot be brought in.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Art sadly for him and his family is beyond repair in this day and time.

Kendall is another story and although he still has the stink of that Baylor rape chapter, several major schools have studied his involvement and deemed he was not guilty.

The UNT job is more about do we go with a guy with prior head coaching experience, ala Justin Fuente or back to what we did when we hired Littrell in a rising young coordinator. The problem with someone like Fuente is does he still have the fire in his belly after getting a huge buyout from Va Tech?  The problem with a young coordinator is we could be hiring Littrell 2.0.  

UNT desperately needs a coach that can engage the donors and the alumni base.  It also needs someone who has a proven track record of successful recruiting.  Portal ability would be a plus.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t understand how some of you can be so adamantly against hiring Art Briles, an offensive minded head coach, when I believe just about every if not every single Baylor player ever accused was a defensive player. We have the two most powerful defensive coaches from that staff plus the offensive line coach and yall have zero concerns. It’s all about optics to you and you really don’t give a dang about the truth or who is responsible and not just a scapegoat.

It isn't about that unfortunately, I don't want the bad optics.   Maybe if I got a guarantee no player(s) do anything henious while he is here I would be behind it.  I don't want UNT to take the risk how ever minimal you believe they are.  I would take Baby Briles happily.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

The dude has been in college football exile for 7 years, unable to even land an assistant job at the FCS level. You really think he would risk anything if he was actually given a second chance? Hiring him would be like flying on September 12, 2001, they would have so many redundancies to keep the program clean there’d be near zero chance of a problem.

You are probably right but that may hamper the success he would have otherwise here.  That will impact recruiting decisions and the assist coaches he could get to staff here.  I think some of the current coaching staff they may want to keep would leave including some in the Athletic Department.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t understand how some of you can be so adamantly against hiring Art Briles, an offensive minded head coach, when I believe just about every, if not every, single Baylor player ever accused was a defensive player. We have the two most powerful defensive coaches from that staff plus the offensive line coach and yall have zero concerns. It’s all about optics to you and you really don’t give a dang about the truth or who is responsible and not just a scapegoat.

Truth be told a lot of fans who love sitting in judgement of others. Innocent until proven has taken a backseat in our culture unless it's for a cause/person you support. I wonder sometimes how many people that will be against someone line AB, but then be all in on supporting those who were actually charged and convicted of crimes?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

He was cleared by the NCAA.  Everyone deserves a second chance he has paid dearly.  Remember we are a different university according to our commercials.  I think he would have learned from his mistakes and would be motivated to show the NCAA world he can still coach.  I don't know if we would lose fans or gain fans in the event of his hire.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Innocent until proven has taken a backseat in our culture unless it's for a cause/person you support.

Innocent until proven guilty is a standard for taking someone's freedom away in a criminal court. The standard for hiring somebody should be a lot higher than that.

There are a lot of former head coaches out there looking for a second chance who wouldn't be greeted at their introductory press conference by protesters against sexual violence on campus.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1