Why can’t Jarod Mosley be our AD?

meangreenfaninno

Seems like he has been waiting for the moment and I know Wren thinks he’s the best man for the job.  Why do we have to pay for consultants and form a committee when we have the best man for the job already on Bonnie Brae?  Seems like to me Smatresk is trying to create some unnecessary bureaucracy in putting this “national search” together.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Seems like he has been waiting for the moment and I know Wren thinks he’s the best man for the job.  Why do we have to pay for consultants and form a committee when we have the best man for the job already on Bonnie Brae?  Seems like to me Smatresk is trying to create some unnecessary bureaucracy in putting this “national search” together.

He certainly can, but he should be the clear choice after a national search to make sure we have the best. These hires don't happen often, must get it right

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

It’s best to get as good of a candidate pool as you can and then hire best person for the job. 

If that’s Mosley, great. If it’s someone else, great. 

Exactly this. My only worry about Mosley is that he becomes Wren 2.0 and keeps on an underachieving Seth for whichever of the ridiculous reasons we have been hearing 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

23 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT is a public university, so they have to post the job and take applications. Personally, I support Jared Mosley being our next AD. I think he understands the AAC transition plan Wren carved out for us, and the dynamics of our new master plan. We need to start turning dirt on the athletic center expansion and I think he is probably the best individual to continue all of these projects. Plus, Mosley is just a really great guy. 

I like and agree with a lot of your takes, generally. And I don't think Mosley should or shouldn't get the job. However, the bolded here is a deep rooted problem at UNT. It's the country club model that employees of the department do... go around shake hands and rub elbows while smiling so when the going gets tough, well by golly he's a swell guy.

Look, I don't care if the devil, Santa Clause, Easter bunny, bugs bunny, or Jesus is our AD. Hire people that win. Fire people quickly that don't. Build the fan base while fundraising your ass off. And if you can't, then we'll see ya. I don't need to shake your hand or see your face, unless your on a stage helping a sponsor executive present a trophy to our football or basketball coach. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I like and agree with a lot of your takes, generally. And I don't think Mosley should or shouldn't get the job. However, the bolded here is a deep rooted problem at UNT. It's the country club model that employees of the department do... go around shake hands and rub elbows while smiling so when the going gets tough, well by golly he's a swell guy.

Look, I don't care if the devil, Santa Clause, Easter bunny, bugs bunny, or Jesus is our AD. Hire people that win. Fire people quickly that don't. Build the fan base while fundraising your ass off. And if you can't, then we'll see ya. I don't need to shake your hand or see your face, unless your on a stage helping a sponsor executive present a trophy to our football or basketball coach. 

I think you took my statement out of context. First, my comment about Mosley being a great guy, was included as an additional positive, not the reason why I think he is a good fit. And the comment wasn't made in reference to the good ol' boy model. Mosley seems to be a very approachable person. Based on my interactions with him, I think he seems like the kind of guy that would consider any good idea regardless of whether it originated from the country club set or an average fan. I don't think we have a disagreement, just a misunderstanding. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 2

10 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think you took my statement out of context. First, my comment about Mosley being a great guy, was included as an additional positive, not the reason why I think he is a good fit. And the comment wasn't made in reference to the good ol' boy model. Mosley seems to be a very approachable person. Based on my interactions with him, I think he seems like the kind of guy that would consider any good idea regardless of whether it originated from the country club set or an average fan. I don't think we have a disagreement, just a misunderstanding. 

No, I knew you weren't championing him as our hopeful new AD on that basis. I understood that. And my comment wasn't a jive at you. But, the "but he's a good guy" is thrown around a lot at lil ole UNT. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

It should at least to be a tiebreaker. The AD should be expected, among other things, to be good at sales, and being seen as approachable could help one sell, I'd think.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Look, I don't care if the devil, Santa Clause, Easter bunny, bugs bunny, or Jesus is our AD. Hire people that win. Fire people quickly that don't. Build the fan base while fundraising your ass off. And if you can't, then we'll see ya. I don't need to shake your hand or see your face, unless you’re on a stage helping a sponsor executive present a trophy to our football or basketball coach. 

Man I couldn’t agree more.  And the reverse is true here also.  Look how Dickey was handled.  He wasn’t the ‘glad handed get along guy’ so he got fired him freshly recovering from something that could have killed him. No thought or consideration of the circumstances and the heir apparent QB dying impact on the team performance. (And we have a practice facility named after him)Yet I hear every ridiculous excuse and propping up Seth’s very meager accomplishments here.  It’s infuriating.  It irrational and emotional way of doing business that is rarely successful.   Nothing will be named after Seth if he is let go at the end of 2023.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

I agree with seeing who all applies.  Mosley may become the guy.  I don't know him.  Did game-day parking and customer service issues fall under his watch this season?  Someone dropped the ball, again.   Video screens, wi-fi, and sound systems still don't function properly at Apogee, 12 years after opening!   Wren seemed to give up on details when job searching became more important to him.  

Apogee doesn't have WiFi. It never did. Cell service falls on the providers. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1