Just Curious

UNTLifer

I am as disappointed as the next MG fan over the game last night, but I am curious to know one thing. 

Who predicted we would finish the regular season 7-5 and play for the conference championship?  I think this team exceeded most of y’all’s expectations.  Not saying I am happy where the program is right now, but just pointing out a fact.

Me?  I predicted us to be at 9-4 after yesterday, so I think I have a right to be pissed.  Anybody else predict a better record than 7-5 at the end of the regular season?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 4

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I think this team exceeded most of y’all’s expectations.  Not saying I am happy where the program is right now, but just pointing out a fact.

NO.   Beating the Sisters of the Poor is all Seth can accomplish.  Only one win over a winning program was over 7-5 WKU.  Anyone expecting anything else was foolish.   

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

Not what I asked. We all saw the schedule for the year and I don’t recall anyone predicting us to play in the conference championship game. I would guess the consensus on our record was .500 or less at the end of the regular season. Do you remember what you predicted?

• Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not what I asked. We all saw the schedule for the year and I don’t recall anyone predicting us to play in the conference championship game. I would guess the consensus on our record was .500 or less at the end of the regular season. Do you remember what you predicted?

You're probably correct but I think most people that picked picked 6-7 wins was because of the extremely easy schedule. Again I understand your deep desire to try to make this team look better than it was even thoughwe just got our asses kicked. However we only beat 1 team with the winning record. We were in the championship due to the format change as well as UAB having their quarterback out for quite a stretch.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I predicted we’d be 6-6. I thought we’d beat UNLV but lose to FAU and WKU. If you’re asking if I thought CUSA would be so bad that 7-5 would make the championship game, no I didn’t. Sun Belt featured 10-2 vs 9-3. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, NT80 said:

" I think this team exceeded most of y’all’s expectations."  =  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You still haven’t answered his question.  What record did you predict before the season started?  Maybe the team didn’t exceed YOUR expectations, but I think Lifer has a valid point that MOST fans predicted less than 7 wins.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, NT93 said:

You still haven’t answered his question.  What record did you predict before the season started?  Maybe the didn’t exceed YOUR expectations, but I think Lifer has a valid point that MOST fans predicted less than 7 wins.

7 and 6 was my BV prediction.  Did not think it would be good enough to get us in the championship game. 

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am as disappointed as the next MG fan over the game last night, but I am curious to know one thing. 

Who predicted we would finish the regular season 7-5 and play for the conference championship?  I think this team exceeded most of y’all’s expectations.  Not saying I am happy where the program is right now, but just pointing out a fact.

Me?  I predicted us to be at 9-4 after yesterday, so I think I have a right to be pissed.  Anybody else predict a better record than 7-5 at the end of the regular season?

I think you're missing the point. C-USA was extremely weak this season. Only 3 other C-USA teams finished their regular seasons with winning records, and we only beat one of them. At the start of this season, I explained that Seth should be judged on his performance against the winning teams on our schedule, and I still believe that should be true. Sure, some of the programs I expected to be good, were not, but aside from the WKU game, we struggled to compete against any team with a pulse. This season was just more of the same from Littrell. It just looked better on the surface because most of C-USA was so bad. I understand you want to look on the bright side, but just isn't one. And, there can't be a bright side until we have a new football coach.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think you're missing the point. C-USA was extremely weak this season. Only 3 other C-USA teams finished their regular seasons with winning records, and we only beat one of them. At the start of this season, I explained that Seth should be judged on his performance against the winning teams on our schedule, and I still believe that should be true. Sure, some of the programs I expected to be good, were not, but aside from the WKU game, we struggled to compete against any team with a pulse. This season was just more of the same from Littrell. It just looked better on the surface because most of C-USA was so bad. I understand you want to look on the bright side, but just isn't one. And, there can't be a bright side until we have a new football coach.

Missing the point?  I am the one that started this thread.  

To be clear, I am not posting this to push for SL's extension.  I was clear stating that he needed to win conference and the bowl game.  That ain't happening.  I like SL, but I think he has reached his peak here.  It is time for some new blood to energize the program and, more importantly, the fanbase.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

I figured we'd be 50/50 and I think chances are good that's what's going to happen. Magical mediocre 7-7 season. Yay.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/154913-drc-we-are-approaching-100-picks-most-of-them-optimistic-entering-the-final-hours-to-enter-this-years-get-your-rear-on-the-record-contest/#comments

This is the thread the OP oughta look at i guess.

Plenty of people thought that 7-5+ with this schedule was possible, but not really worth much.

Edited by outoftown

12 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think we are all frustrated at how this is working out. Seth appears to run a clean program and the players seem to really like him—-but he has not won games of meaning. 
0-2 in conference championships and 0-5 in bowl games. 

A couple of wins against Army (but lost the bowl), Arkansas, and the fluke of UTSA last year.  But that is really it in seven years. And no real momentum built off of them. 

People have asked all year what he need to do to stay and I have stated 

1. win two out of three regular season games with UTSA, WKU, and UAB. NO!

2. Get to the cUSA championship game. YES. 
With one not achieved I felt as though Seth needed a win in the championship game. NO

3. Win the Bowl game—????

I would have hoped that there would have been an announcement by now but the Wren thing has thrown an additional “Wrench” into the situation. 

The grass is not always greener but come on.

• Upvote 1