So what P5 is gonna hire Traylor?

peanuts104

I doubt Traylor is inasmuch demand as some think.

He is viewed as doing very well in a very poor conference.  He also was in luck to have inherited a franchise type QB 

UTSA has a lot going for it and Traylor will certainly get looks.   However, I am not sure there are P5 programs that want him.  Yes, I read TTU wanted him, but like Littrell rumored offer to Kansas St; I have my doubts.  

Addition:  If those quoted buyout numbers are true, I think UTSA will keep him for a long time. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Drops by $1M every January 1 until year 6.

Traylor's new contract includes a buyout of $7.5 million if he leaves UTSA before or during the first year of the contract, which begins Jan. 1, 2022. It drops to $7 million in the second year, then by a million each year until the sixth year. Between then and season 10, he would be responsible for 25% of all of his remaining compensation.

Ok thanks.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Arkansas could also be another destination for him.   Anywhere that’s somewhat close to East TX.

Yeah I thought of them as well. Some of these bigger P5 programs will pay that buyout without thinking twice if they really want him. Just protects from most G5s snatching him up. $7million is a yearly salary at the bigger P5 programs.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, peanuts104 said:

Speculation, guesses, wild theories all welcome. This is the only constructive way I know how to express my pain. They won't hang onto him for long. Maybe West Virginia (I know they said they were keeping Neal Brown...but with Wren there now????)?

Wren was consulted about Neal Brown and said to give him another year.  So he is safe for now.

On 12/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

Was Frank Harris Traylor’s recruit? 

No, officially Frank Wilson's. I realy think Coker staff started the process, though. Harris has been a student at UTSA since 2017. Thank god he wasn't wasted under Wilson.  Many fans at that time felt Narcisse was the better QB. I really don't know who they were watching, but it clearly wasn't UTSA. I never once thought any QB on UTSA roster was better than Harris.

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

He is viewed as doing very well in a very poor conference.  He also was in luck to have inherited a franchise type QB 

UTSA has a lot going for it and Traylor will certainly get looks.   However, I am not sure there are P5 programs that want him.  Yes, I read TTU wanted him, but like Littrell rumored offer to Kansas St; I have my doubts.  

Addition:  If those quoted buyout numbers are true, I think UTSA will keep him for a long time. 

He's in high demand. 2 OCs have now gone on to P5s; Illinois and now Oregon. He and his family loves Boerne Texas and his kids are in school. It's gonna have to be the right school. 

Yes, he inherited Harris, but he's also coached the entire team up. Way fewer unsportsmanlike, fewer procedure penalties, etc. We may not be conference champs, but we win 8 games a year. And after Wilson? I'll take that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AsianEagle said:

Purdue? 

Don't know who they would go with, and they could afford the buyout, but I have trouble seeing him as a fit there.

As i said before, I don't see him leaving this year, because the coaching carousel was extremely tame this year: south of the Mason-Dixon there was not a single P5 opening between Phoenix, Arizona and Auburn, Alabama. That never happens. The ACC, SEC and Big12 combined had 3 openings (4 if you count cincy. If that were the norm coaches would average 13 year tenures.

But I have a hard time imaging he isn't gone by 2024, next year it is likely to pick back up. Plus, if he is good again -which given the QB return seems likely - he will get hotter while the buyout gets lower. While it may price out some Big12 and ACC teams, I don't think the buyout is that big a deal to B1G and SEC teams to be honest though. The money available has gone up a level again, and in most of those places 6 mil is just a normal yearly salary for the HC now, maybe even on the lower side.

Edited by outoftown

Maybe he will be a smart coach and stay where he is at and collect a paycheck that affords him a comfortable living in town that loves him right now.  It can all change after a bad season but ride the wave while he can.  So many coaches want to jump up to the P-5 and most don't make it.  

But if he went to big school and got a large pay out if he is fired that would take care of his retirement and he always have a job in the lower tier again. 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:19 PM, GrandGreen said:

He is viewed as doing very well in a very poor conference.

I think he's already on short lists at P5 schools.

Billy Napier jumped from the Sun Belt to the SEC. And not even a smaller SEC school, but big-bucks Florida.

My guess is that after next season UTSA loses him unless it does a massive faceplant in the American.

He is obviously getting lots of interest from P5s. Though I think the reports that he's turned down multiple offers this year are bogus. Programs don't just offer contracts without interviewing, which by all accounts he hasn't. 

I can see him leaving after next season. They're bringing back pretty much their entire offense and will likely win 8+ games. At that point its hard to imagine his stock getting any higher. UTSA is going to have to replace all of their offensive production in 2024 and likely looking at a rebuilding year. Does Traylor want to risk hurting his stock or finally cash out for a Big 12/SEC job? I can see Arkansas firing Pittman if they have another losing SEC record and Traylor spent a couple years there under Chad Morris. And even though Jimbo's buyout will still be enormous, I doubt the Aggies will tolerate another 5 to 7 win season. 

• Upvote 1