So what P5 is gonna hire Traylor?

peanuts104

Probably nobody this season, next season more likely. Last year the coaching carousel was complete carnage. This season it is very calm. Only two sitting HC got hired by someone else, and they are Luke Fickel and Hugh Freeze at Liberty. In my mind Liberty -who does have money - is actually the best shot for anyone to hire him this season as i could see it being a culture fit, but still not very likely. Colorado and Stanford are the only open P5s left - unless you count Cincinnati as it is on its way to the Big12 - none of which would look like Traylor would be a particular fit.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

Traylor derives much of his value from his Texas recruiting ties. Don’t know how well that translates to West Virgina or anywhere far from Texas. 
Traylor already turned down the third best coaching job in Texas. I can’t see him leaving for anything but a premier P5 gig. 
Probably next year when the Aggies finally fire Jimbo or if Sark has a .500 season. Another down year at OU could be interesting too. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Traylor derives much of his value from his Texas recruiting ties. Don’t know how well that translates to West Virgina or anywhere far from Texas. 
Traylor already turned down the third best coaching job in Texas. I can’t see him leaving for anything but a premier P5 gig. 
Probably next year when the Aggies finally fire Jimbo or if Sark has a .500 season. Another down year at OU could be interesting too. 

I'm not sure his next stop will be atm/UT. More like OSU or Tech. 

You gotta remember, people don't pay attention to CUSA football and that includes HS football coaches, top flight recruits. He needs another stone to step on before he gets those offers, imo. 

• Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Probably not but it is more important to who develops the players than who recruit them. Harris's game has stepped up greatly under JT as well of the play of many others. 

Good point….

But he will have to replenish with his recruits here pretty soon. This is year 3 for him? 

not saying he won’t but…..we could have the same situation here. A good coach comes in and develops what’s (on paper) supposedly a talented, young roster

Get a good transfer QB in here and we can turn this around fairly quickly….

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Good point….

But he will have to replenish with his recruits here pretty soon. This is year 3 for him? 

not saying he won’t but…..we could have the same situation here. A good coach comes in and develops what’s (on paper) supposedly a talented, young roster

Get a good transfer QB in here and we can turn this around fairly quickly….

This will be key for UTSA next year. The current backup quarterback is not a good player.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

$7 million buyout due to UTSA if he is hired away before January 1, 2023.

And after?

Edit to add: for what it's worth, I don't think that matters to any of the P5s in Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU (not that they're in the market). Any of the P5s around us would pay that buyout if it meant getting the right guy before another program gets him first. It's more to protect him from going to another G5.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And after?

Edit to add: for what it's worth, I don't think that matters to any of the P5s in Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU (not that they're in the market). Any of the P5s around us would pay that buyout if it meant getting the right guy before another program gets him first. It's more to protect him from going to another G5.

Drops by $1M every January 1 until year 6.

Traylor's new contract includes a buyout of $7.5 million if he leaves UTSA before or during the first year of the contract, which begins Jan. 1, 2022. It drops to $7 million in the second year, then by a million each year until the sixth year. Between then and season 10, he would be responsible for 25% of all of his remaining compensation.

Edited by Cr1028