Thank you Austin Aune

Cr1028

Stop piling on Aune.  He didn’t have the power to make this coaching staff not develop another QB that was better than him.  I think his inadequacy really shows us how mediocre Seth is as an offensive coach.  Arguably we have the best offensive line and CUSA.  So when you can beat down teams in the run game and throw long bombs at over a 50% completion clip you are golden.   Defense a few stops and maybe one turnover you don’t need much else.   

Aune at this point in the season deserves very little blame.  He played like he usually does around 55%.  He has just 2 of those dropped passed completed he is right on target for 55%.  A couple of those completions get him those big yards in yet another loss.  Every objective fan who doesn’t partake in the green kool aide knew in the back of their mind what Aune was going to do.  The only question was would UTSA allow Seth to coach around that deficiency.  They didn’t so Aune throws 3-4  Interceptible balls and they grab two that count.  Roll him out for 2023 if Seth is still here.  I sincerely believe Seth will ruin the next UNT QB starter if he remains.  Either way I won’t be at Apogee to watch it.  Not worth the drive.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Roll him out for 2023 if Seth is still here.  I sincerely believe Seth will ruin the next UNT QB starter if he remains.  Either way I won’t be at Apogee to watch it.  Not worth the drive.

I live in denton and will not be worth drive for me.  if he is back I won't renew my season tickets. I am sure if I wait for three years when some decides SL needs to go I will buy them again.  I am sure my seats will still be available.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

Everyone that complains about completion percentage - last night was a perfect example of what our coaches try to do vs what a high completion percentage team does.  We run very low percentage plays where most of the time the ball travels 20 yards in the air.  80% of UTSA’s throws were 5 yards in the air to wide open receivers in the flat or bubble screens.  We don’t put our players in position to succeed.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, rcade said:

If you told me before the season Aune would have 3,309 yards passing and 32 touchdowns on 13 interceptions, I would not have thought I would spend so much time watching him play with a sense of deep foreboding and stomach-churning dread.

Well he averaged nearly 3 passing T.D.'s and one interception per game.He could really hit the long bomb but just couldn't avoid forcing the ball and throwing into traffic. He worked hard ,did the best he could,and the bottom line was that win, lose, or draw  he was the pick of the litter.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well he averaged nearly 3 passing T.D.'s and one interception per game.He could really hit the long bomb but just couldn't avoid forcing the ball and throwing into traffic. He worked hard ,did the best he could,and the bottom line was that win, lose, or draw  he was the pick of the litter.

I've been wondering if Aune was looking to put up gaudy numbers this year because of the talk he's an NFL prospect. His touchdowns are ranked eighth in the FBS and yards are fourteenth.

There were times I was begging him through the TV screen to take what the defenses were giving him instead of trying to be Dan Fouts. (Who, coincidentally, graduated high school the same year as Austin.)

• Haha 6

57 minutes ago, rcade said:

If you told me before the season Aune would have 3,309 yards passing and 32 touchdowns on 13 interceptions, I would not have thought I would spend so much time watching him play with a sense of deep foreboding and stomach-churning dread.

I agree. Which is so frustrating…

7 hours ago, glick1980 said:

Everyone that complains about completion percentage - last night was a perfect example of what our coaches try to do vs what a high completion percentage team does.  We run very low percentage plays where most of the time the ball travels 20 yards in the air.  80% of UTSA’s throws were 5 yards in the air to wide open receivers in the flat or bubble screens.  We don’t put our players in position to succeed.

Before Mason Fine's final season @Aldo and I talked with Seth at the conference media says. He says he wanted to throw the ball down the field more. He said he told Fine that, and he was okay with more interceptions as long as we were being aggressive. 

Austin Aune starts in part because he has a big arm and throws a nice deep ball. The throw to Kaylon Horton was a beauty. The toss to Shorter was amazing. 

Jace Ruder couldn't keep the ball in the field of play. Gunnell looked out of practice. We can change our offense to accommodate the players -- oh wait, we did!. NT ran the ball much more when they didn't have anyone to catch it. They ran it a ton to start the year to give the ball to the four backs who were killing it. 

I agree that Seth Littrell lost his seventh post-season game in blowout fashion because he doesn't have the best QB on the field. I don't think that is because he is not building an offense around his players, though. I think it's because he cannot recruit and develop the QBs and find difference-making defenders. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

I agree but why is everyone afraid to criticize Bennett and his horrible defense?  That’s as big a problem as Littrell and the offense wveeyone harps on all the time.

I don't see anyone afraid to criticize PB.

I think what you're seeing is a lot of frustration about a lot of different things and, unfortunately for Aune, the QB is the easy scapegoat.

• Upvote 1