Herman off the board

meanrob

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Gary Patterson has an itch to be a HC again, and we haven't reached out to him already, or have no plans to after Saturday... leadership is really stupid.

I feel like Gary Patterson is the type of hire that Smatresk & Co. could make before hiring an AD and most AD candidates would be more than okay inheriting the situation.

• Upvote 3

If we win today, this will all be academic.  Seth will be back.  Not much choice.

If we lose, there is at least a small chance he will be gone, however I highly doubt it.

My personal opinion is that a change needs to be made as we move into a new conference.

The status quo isn't good enough.  Fan apathy is so high, the program needs a jolt of new energy.

If he stays, recruiting will need to go up big time.  Getting destroyed by SMU makes me sick.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh y'all,
If Gary Patterson has an itch to be a HC again, and we haven't reached out to him already, or have no plans to after Saturday... leadership is really stupid.

Man, I'm losing all faith in our leadership. We're watching Herman and possibly Patterson go coach at G5s outside of Texas. Both of them spent most of, if not all, their time as FBS head coaches in the state of Texas. They know these recruiting grounds and we're letting them go elsewhere with no apparent attempt to bring them here.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

7 years in and no hardware, and winless in 5 bowls, is justification for trying a new staff, IMO.

Do you think 4 conference titles in 9 years and a 1-3 bowl record was justification for trying a new staff? Because record wise, we got worse.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Do you think 4 conference titles in 9 years and a 1-3 bowl record was justification for trying a new staff? Because record wise, we got worse.

You never ever let fear of future mediocrity dictate the current decision.  You look at your situation as it is, and make your decision based on your expectations (which should be based on your budget/spending).

Letting go of DD was an obvious choice, IMO.  I think anyone can look at DD's situation and objectively acknowledge how bad it was.  The quality of football we were watching was declining.  His health was worse.  His relationship with his boss was awful.  he pulled the jersey fiasco.  It was obviously time to move on.

But if we lose today, how is letting SL go not understandable? I'm not saying it is an obvious must do.  I'm saying it is understandable.  7 full years and no hardware.  0-5 in bowls and what if he goes 0-6?  When you pay the top salaries in your conference, it's absolutely okay to move on when you have zero hardware.

This isn't even a situation where we are contending for titles 2 or 3 out of every 4 seasons.  If that were the case, maybe I'd be talking differently.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

But if we lose today, how is letting SL go not understandable? I'm not saying it is an obvious must do.  I'm saying it is understandable.  

I’m with you here. I would understand making a move but I don’t feel it is imperative as others do. 2019 and 2020 were disasters plain and simple but the last two years haven’t been awful and we have shown improvement in both seasons. As long as the momentum is in the right direction (which I believe it is right now) I hesitate to make a move.

• Skeptical Eagle 1