Herman off the board

meanrob

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Different, yes. Has it moved a needle? Not one bit. We still get dominated by SMU. We haven't won anything of significance. Our attendance is embarrassing. Our recruiting is worse than our attendance. If we continue down this path Seth Littrell will inevitably be fired once our competition is UTSA, SMU, UAB, etc. every week. It's a guarantee. Not ripping the bandaid off is setting the program back at minimum 2 years. 

Attendance might reflect that of 2015 next season. And that's even with more marquee names coming to town. 

Well SMU is in the AAC and we are in CUSA. We pay $1.7 million for our coach and they offered to pay their last coach $4M not  to leave. They have 2 fully funded NIL collectives. We have a guy who got fired as AD running ours with no noticeable NIL deals made yet. SMU has so many advantages that don’t have a thing to do with the performance of our athletic department. They just have a much, much, deeper well than we do. Hopefully, joining their conference will bring greater parity.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If 6-6 is just awesome then sure that’s a lot better than 3-9. How much should we pay a head coach that takes us to such heights?

I am surprised a P-5 school has not stolen from us yet.  Yes he made us better but I think he has reach his ceiling.  You lose Bennett this year and SL has a terrible record of hiring defensive coaches.  Maybe he could lure Kosh back here.  If he stays we will not hit five wins next year or the year after of the year after that.  

We start the year off the same way -beat the FCS team and everyone has their way with us.  We go to a weak CUSA and we get enough wins to get us to 500.  Well next year we will not have those easy CUSA teams to play. I bet we are underdogs in all games except Rice.  Which it means once again we will be everybody's homecoming date.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Udomann said:

Lot of folks thought the same about Jeff Traylor-trash, or Lashlee being real head-scratching hires. Seems that some teams just get lucky. But not us apparently...

Traylor has done well so far. The jury is still out on Lashlee. He started good early in the year. But since it has mostly been a slight downward slope.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Playing for a conference championship at 7-5. Only took 3 teams to leave for the Sun Belt early causing CUSA to do away with divisions for the year. Otherwise we wouldn't be sniffing a championship game. 

So your argument is that we should be ashamed because we made it into the championship as the second best record team in the whole conference, whereas in the old system, even if we were the second best team, a team below us would be in the championship game because they're in the weaker division?

This year's system is harder to get in, not easier.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

So your argument is that we should be ashamed because we made it into the championship as the second best record team in the whole conference, whereas in the old system, even if we were the second best team, a team below us would be in the championship game because they're in the weaker division?

This year's system is harder to get in, not easier.

Ashamed? Don't think I ever said that but I've slept since then. No, I'm just saying let's not prop up SL for getting us to a championship game this year. Let's remember we still got beat by two of our future conference mates. One of those games (SMU) was a blowout. We also were blown out by a team that finished 5-7 and fired their own headcoach.

Looking at this year's OOC performance shows us we're not ready to compete in the AAC regardless of our conference record this year and regardless of the fact 5 other CUSA teams are jumping to the AAC with us. The existing teams have to play the soon-to-be former CUSA team, too.

My biggest issue is OOC record. The new playoff system is a blessing to the G5. We finally get a guaranteed spot in the dance! Just have to be better than the other G5. We're not going to get there finishing with 7 or 8 wins and sneaking into a championship game by dominating a weak conference slate.

And my original comment was a response to a post saying Herman, who dominated the AAC for a couple years, is a retread while saying we're playing for a CCG, implying we have the better guy. It was and remains a silly comment. SL is not a better hire than Herman.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

After 7 years, a 7-5 record (6-2 conference) with title game and bowl appearances is good enough for me. 

Next season, we won't have the luxury of playing a Skip-less LATech, FIU, or UTEP in conference to pad that record.    We can't be myopic about this.   

It's the same exact thing we saw last year, just with wins in different order:   Smashed in non-conference by bad peer institutions.  Then saved by some atrocious conference mates.   It's the same mirage that will dry up as soon as we play some middle of the pack MWC/SBC/MAC team in our bowl game.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, gordo nation said:

Well I can tell you right now there's literally nothing Seth can do to get himself fired before the 2023 season. 

Sure there is...

What if he is caught in a video knocking his wife out in an elevator?

What if he repeatedly drops N bombs in a secretly recorded video?

What if it comes out that he locked a player in a dark room because of a concussion and that player's dad killed five hookers?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

I appreciate the honesty regardless of how crappy your expectations are. 

Don’t you think we could get the same results from another provider for half the price?

Is it worth the ~$2 million salary and private jet allowance for these results?

We are paying a top level CUSA salary and at 2nd in the conference are getting top level CUSA results.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

5-8

9-5 division champs

9-4

4-8

4-6

6-7

7-5 (title game appearance at the very least)

Just dreadful, dreadful. I don’t know how we get up every morning.

I'd argue Grant took over a worse situation.  Look what he's done. See the difference 

Just now, p_phelps said:

I'd argue Grant took over a worse situation.  Look what he's done. See the difference 

Grant has been phenomenal, he way out earns what he makes working for us. I will say it is easier to revamp a basketball program than a football one largely because of roster size. Managing a roster of 13 scholarships and 5 starters is no doubt simpler than 85 scholarships and 24+ starters.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

5-8

9-5 division champs

9-4

4-8

4-6

6-7

7-5 (title game appearance at the very least)

Just dreadful, dreadful. I don’t know how we get up every morning.

So, after 7 seven years a record of 44 and 43 sounds good to you, then so be it. It does not sound good to me. It sounds very mediocre and a change should take place, beyond the athletic director leaving. We all know how we backed door into the title game. So, yea it is kind of dreadful.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Next season, we won't have the luxury of playing a Skip-less LATech, FIU, or UTEP in conference to pad that record.    We can't be myopic about this.   

It's the same exact thing we saw last year, just with wins in different order:   Smashed in non-conference by bad peer institutions.  Then saved by some atrocious conference mates.   It's the same mirage that will dry up as soon as we play some middle of the pack MWC/SBC/MAC team in our bowl game.

I think we play LaTech in one of or out of conference games.  I get your point though. I think we have Cal coming in this year.

18 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Exactly.

Herman has a full year to load up on talent via the portal and implement his system. Don't be surprised if FAU is ranked and wins the AAC championship in 2024 to secure a spot in the first college football playoff.

People poop pooping on this are just in their feelings imo.  If had a spare $50 and 50:1 odds on FAU going to the first playoffs I would bet on it.  FAU knows how build and rebuild.   If you compare our program to their just looking at the period of time they have been in FBS it embarrassing and frustrating.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

People poop pooping on this are just in their feelings imo.  If had a spare $50 and 50:1 odds on FAU going to the first playoffs I would bet on it.  FAU knows how build and rebuild.   If you compare our program to their just looking at the period of time they have been in FBS it embarrassing and frustrating.

I doubt you would get those odds

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well SMU is in the AAC and we are in CUSA. We pay $1.7 million for our coach and they offered to pay their last coach $4M not  to leave. They have 2 fully funded NIL collectives. We have a guy who got fired as AD running ours with no noticeable NIL deals made yet. SMU has so many advantages that don’t have a thing to do with the performance of our athletic department. They just have a much, much, deeper well than we do. Hopefully, joining their conference will bring greater parity.

Okay what excuses do La Tech*, UAB, FAU, and UTSA have?  They all have won division championships during Seth's tenure.  With all but La Tech winning the Conference.   Looking at the big picture Seth only has kept us ahead of programs like Rice & UTEP.  That isn't much especially with no hardware to show for it in 7 years.

*If you count the co-division championship with UAB when both finish 6-2  in conference when they lost to UAB, that would make 2 division championships during Seth's tenure. Also they won Independence Bowl vs Miami (the real one)*

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

UNT never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

In other news, it looks like your friends at UNLV are zeroing in on Gary Patterson.

Oh y'all,
If Gary Patterson has an itch to be a HC again, and we haven't reached out to him already, or have no plans to after Saturday... leadership is really stupid.

• Thanks 2