Herman off the board

meanrob

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You're new to this. It shows. 

This conference was already going to be difficult. This makes it more difficult. Dilfer will do a good job. He's not just a HS coach with no resources or connections. Makes it more difficult. If Deion goes to USF, it will be that much, much more difficult. 

Meanwhile, we are seeing if our drowning head coach finally cramps up. Then, there is now 0 gurantee of him getting bounced. 

Herman will make FAU a force in the AAC.  The expanded playoff becomes a possibility for them.

Deion's a wild card.  He'd bring buzz and a few great recruits to USF.  Would he actually make them an AAC powerhouse?  Not so sure.

Dilfer might do better than Todd Dodge, but that doesn't change the fact that he is one of the worst FBS hires the past 5 years.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Herman will make FAU a force in the AAC.  The expanded playoff becomes a possibility for them.

Deion's a wild card.  He'd bring buzz and a few great recruits to USF.  Would he actually make them an AAC powerhouse?  Not so sure.

Dilfer might do better than Todd Dodge, but that doesn't change the fact that he is one of the worst FBS hires the past 5 years.

Deion can recruit. He will kill it. 

Don't understand the agnst against Dilfer. The guy is good and knows what he's doing. 

Herman will do Herman things 

Granted if Deion goes to usf, those are 3 programs that will be significantly better than UNT and quickly. And then of course the rest of the AAC we're going to have to deal with. It's going to get ugly. It's plain and simple. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Kiffin and Taggart both lasted 3 years, my guess is that Herman does the same or less by either getting himself back into the P5 or washing out when people get tired of him. 

Wonder if he'll still be there in 2024/2025 when we are supposed to face them? 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This is a strange one. His work as the Head QB coach for the Elite 11 could help him land some good QB transfers from players wanting to improve their games. The key might be to not F-up the coordinator hires like Dodge did. Would not be surprised to see him keep, or at least offer, a lot of the current staff at UAB

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Deion has recruited good talent (P5 and G5) to JSU. The talent they play against is lower level FCS - Is it just the case of having talent that is so much better? Still not sure how good of a coach he is and it's doubtful he will have the same gap in talent level as he moves up But it will probably be a very exciting ride)

23 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Lot of folks thought the same about Jeff Traylor-trash, or Lashlee being real head-scratching hires. Seems that some teams just get lucky. But not us apparently...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, gordo nation said:

Yall it's literally been a day... calm down we'll be fine

I'm giving it a hard look and see several programs making aggressive moves to be at the top of the AAC.  Meanwhile, our administration just lost its leader, and some leadership still out there wants to try and keep a coach that is barely above 0.500 and has never won a title or a bowl game after 7 years because of marginal improvement within a conference that has been surpassed by the Belt in terms of quality play.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm giving it a hard look and see several programs making aggressive moves to be at the top of the AAC.  Meanwhile, our administration just lost its leader, and some leadership still out there wants to try and keep a coach that is barely above 0.500 and has never won a title or a bowl game after 7 years because of marginal improvement within a conference that has been surpassed by the Belt in terms of quality play.

tumblr_p7rjpel7dq1t8xdr4o1_500.gif

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Lot of folks thought the same about Jeff Traylor-trash, or Lashlee being real head-scratching hires. Seems that some teams just get lucky. But not us apparently...

I don't think the pony fans are too happy with Lashlee's year one results.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Deion can recruit. He will kill it. 

Don't understand the agnst against Dilfer. The guy is good and knows what he's doing. 

Herman will do Herman things 

Granted if Deion goes to usf, those are 3 programs that will be significantly better than UNT and quickly. And then of course the rest of the AAC we're going to have to deal with. It's going to get ugly. It's plain and simple. 

Jackson State played one non HBCU team this year, a .500 FCS team they beat by 8. They get squashed if they played in the FCS playoffs. They also lost to ULM last year. 

Dilfer has never recruited college, coached at a private school, won’t have the best players in his conference and outside of quarterbacks every recruit has no idea who he is. 

Can I guarantee they will fail? No, but history says not only will they not work out, but not even last long. G5 jobs are hard. That other team doesn’t give a damn what you did as a player. 

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I hear ya.

Liberty is targeting Chadwell at Coastal Carolina, not that it has anything to do with us or our football program.  I just thought it fit since this thread has nothing to do with us or our football program.

Edit: 

Per FootballScoop.com:

Shawn Watson is being named the head coach at Wofford.  Good for the Terriers.

Bob Ritter is retiring from Middlebury (D3 - VT) after 20+ years so that is coming open.

Ryan McCarthy is not returning as the head ball coach at Central Connecticut.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Lashlee was a major disappointment. You have a qb that is rated top 10  nfl draft boards and a WR rated in the top 8! Sonny left the cabinet full.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Liberty is targeting Chadwell at Coastal Carolina, not that it has anything to do with us or our football program.  I just thought it fit since this thread has nothing to do with us or our football program.

Edit: 

Per FootballScoop.com:

Shawn Watson is being named the head coach at Wofford.  Good for the Terriers.

Bob Ritter is retiring from Middlebury (D3 - VT) after 20+ years so that is coming open.

Ryan McCarthy is not returning as the head ball coach at Central Connecticut.

Nooooo…Ryan McCarthy is not returning to CCU??? 

(I have no idea who Ryan McCarthy is) 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Eh…It’s fine.  I’d much rather be playing for a conference championship than hoping a retread can take us to a championship. 

Playing for a conference championship at 7-5. Only took 3 teams to leave for the Sun Belt early causing CUSA to do away with divisions for the year. Otherwise we wouldn't be sniffing a championship game. And that retread is 54-22 including 5-0 in bowls with ZERO losing seasons. He got fired and didn't have a job due to image, not inability to recruit and coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untphd said:

Man, I just see a little red every time we get reminded of losing Wren and still have to deal with our football record after 7 seven years.

5-8

9-5 division champs

9-4

4-8

4-6

6-7

7-5 (title game appearance at the very least)

Just dreadful, dreadful. I don’t know how we get up every morning.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Playing for a conference championship at 7-5. Only took 3 teams to leave for the Sun Belt early causing CUSA to do away with divisions for the year. Otherwise we wouldn't be sniffing a championship game. And that retread is 54-22 including 5-0 in bowls with ZERO losing seasons. He got fired and didn't have a job due to image, not inability to recruit and coach.

Actually, we were 15 seconds and an acrobatic catch away from hosting the title game. 

You make a good point though, Ohio State should be ashamed they aren’t as deserving of a title game spot as Purdue.

On Tom Herman, I expect him to be a fantastic coach for FAU.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

5-8

9-5 division champs

9-4

4-8

4-6

6-7

7-5 (title game appearance at the very least)

Just dreadful, dreadful. I don’t know how we get up every morning.

So, after 7 seven years a record of 44 and 43 sounds good to you, then so be it. It does not sound good to me. It sounds very mediocre and a change should take place, beyond the athletic director leaving. We all know how we backed door into the title game. So, yea it is kind of dreadful.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Actually, we were 15 seconds and an acrobatic catch away from hosting the title game. 

You make a good point though, Ohio State should be ashamed they aren’t as deserving of a title game spot as Purdue.

On Tom Herman, I expect him to be a fantastic coach for FAU.

And we were a couple missed 45ish yard field goals by Rice from finishing 6-6 and watching WKU play UTSA tomorrow. This goes both ways. Let's not put lipstick on a 7-5 record. Doing that is what has us in position to be the bottom dweller of the AAC.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1