I gotta hand it to Wren

Tom McKrackin

46 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This guy is a smooth operator.  He got a 300K raise, moved to a better conference and he never even had to hire a football coach?  The truth is, he left us in a mess with Littrell as he didn't get that situation dealt with in a timely fashion one way or another.  Now poor Jared or whomever takes over the gig will have to clean up the mess.  Also, what about Jalie, the golf coach and many other issues that stay behind?  I agree that Wren did a good job in some areas like getting us into the AAC and hiring McCasland, but some of you are acting like he was Jesus Christ and I just don't see it that way myself.  He could have dealt with some of these issues and made the move to WVU in a week or so.

I partially agree with you, I never worshipped the ground he walked on like some people. Mainly because of his continual fumbling of our football coach situation. My hope is that the next AD is less trigger shy on our football coach and willing to fire someone instead of just letting their contract run out, just like Littrell was supposed to be fired years ago. Some people think Littrell is totally safe after this move but I don't agree. His buyout was just cut in half and depending on who the new AD is, they may want to make their mark on this school early and a good candidate is hiring his own football coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I've got to ask the question, why couldn't Wren, at the very least, waited until after the conference championship game this weekend to announce he was moving on?  I'm really disappointed in him.

The “announcement” was a couple leaks from reporters with inside sources, right?. Looks like he chose to roll with it and confirm, rather than let it linger.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This guy is a smooth operator.  He got a 300K raise, moved to a better conference and he never even had to hire a football coach?  The truth is, he left us in a mess with Littrell as he didn't get that situation dealt with in a timely fashion one way or another.  Now poor Jared or whomever takes over the gig will have to clean up the mess.  Also, what about Jalie, the golf coach and many other issues that stay behind?  I agree that Wren did a good job in some areas like getting us into the AAC and hiring McCasland, but some of you are acting like he was Jesus Christ and I just don't see it that way myself.  He could have dealt with some of these issues and made the move to WVU in a week or so.

clown computer Meme Generator - Imgflip

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So, Fire and hire a coach that the new AD would be stuck with. I would think a new AD would want to come in and evaluate the situation and make their own decisions. Not come in with a new coach and his contract.  It may ge the “RIGHT” coach….but a good AD wants to take that ownership.  

this could be setting up just the way you want it

Missing the point. Wren never had to hire a football HC. SL was hired before he got here and is still here by the time Wren leaves despite sub-par performance. In other words, the most important decision in the most important college sport is one Wren never had to made: hiring the head football coach. He got a promotion and raise without having to do one of the most important things an AD does in the world of FBS athletics. Good for him but dang, strikes me as odd for WVU to go after him considering the football situation.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I've got to ask the question, why couldn't Wren, at the very least, waited until after the conference championship game this weekend to announce he was moving on?  I'm really disappointed in him.

Because he was only ever in it for himself and his yes men. The hero worship of Wren on this board is weird.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I am repeating myself from the blog post a bit but I thought Wren did a good job modernizing the department. It was a mom-and-pop operation and turned it into a well-respected operation. He got facilities built and donors to donate. 

I have to think the golf thing is a joke right? 

Football is a unique site situation and it is quite ridiculous to fire a head coach that is in the title game. What are we? Marshall? 

We expected to have a new AD because schools were clamoring for him. The new person is going to want to put their own spin on things so for those of you hoping Seth moves in, a win or loss will help make that happen. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Football is a unique site situation and it is quite ridiculous to fire a head coach that is in the title game. What are we? Marshall? 

My perspective on the football deal is it just strikes me as odd for WVU to hire him when they have no idea how he would go about hiring a head football coach. Obviously I didn't expect SL to be fired with a championship game being played tomorrow but there were back to back 4 win seasons followed by a 6 win seasons just before this one. He should have been fired last year but was saved by the UTSA game (purely opinion). Wren going to WVU would be like promoting a firefighter to fire chief who's never had to put out a fire. Most FBS ADs are ultimately judged by their football programs and he never had to make the most important hire an AD has to make. Not his fault considering the situation when he got to Denton but doesn't make the move to WVU any less surprising.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He got a promotion and raise without having to do one of the most important things an AD does in the world of FBS athletics. Good for him but dang, strikes me as odd for WVU to go after him considering the football situation.

Just because you disagree with the decision he made to keep SL doesn't mean he didn't make an important decision about the football coach. He chose to keep him. Many here would have fired him. The reality is he still made a decision. And to many outside of the UNT world, they probably look at football's results during WB's tenure at UNT as pretty good.

• Upvote 2

We are 7-5 going into a title game.  The only reason we are in it is because there are no divisions this year.  UTSA is what 10-2.  We have long way to go especially stepping up in league competition.  I will be shocked if we win five games next  year.

I see I got 2 down votes and one eye roll.  Tell us

where the wins will come from next year?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Just because you disagree with the decision he made to keep SL doesn't mean he didn't make an important decision about the football coach. He chose to keep him. Many here would have fired him. The reality is he still made a decision. And to many outside of the UNT world, they probably look at football's results during WB's tenure at UNT as pretty good.

You sure Baker made that decision? 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Missing the point. Wren never had to hire a football HC. SL was hired before he got here and is still here by the time Wren leaves despite sub-par performance. In other words, the most important decision in the most important college sport is one Wren never had to made: hiring the head football coach. He got a promotion and raise without having to do one of the most important things an AD does in the world of FBS athletics. Good for him but dang, strikes me as odd for WVU to go after him considering the football situation.

Maybe they’re after Grant because there is really nothing remotely impressive a P5 would see concerning our football program. 

• Upvote 1

He moved up in his career and that is what most of us would have done.  I glad he moved up and not a lateral move.  They would mean there are big problems in the AD department.  I thought everything was off this year at the football games.  From game one til the end.  I did not see any marketing for the games or attempt to draw new people in.  He may have been preoccupied with interviewing and took his eye off the ball.  

If we make the right hire and could be the guy already here we can come better than ever.  New ideas, new blood and they will be glad to be here until a P-5 school comes along.   Let us hope we find a good one.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

He didn’t get a $300k raise. Add $175k to that 300. His base at UNT was $625k and wasn’t supposed to reach $800k until like 2029.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2