SO WHAT HAPPENED?

meangreenbob

Moore was the coach albeit a learning  on the job, tried to play POWER I football with a  Fry finesse team. Fred McCain was the AD who hated Fry and we went back to the Old NT thinking set us back decades. To Jerry Moore's credit he learned from his mistakes here and TT to become a real good coach at App St.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think @ThatMeanGreensuggested that Wren has been interviewing for several years now to get out of Denton.  I wish he (or anyone) could elaborate on that.  All I've seen is what people have been complaining about this football season, and the hesitation to pull the trigger with SL.

I should clarify that I don’t believe that he was interviewing because he was actively looking to leave Denton. He’s an ambitious and highly sought after administrator and, to my knowledge, was able to be picky. A handful of “higher profile” G5 roles (pre-AAC announcement) and other P5 jobs didn’t work out for whatever reason. Maybe he turned them down, maybe they didn’t get offered, who knows.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

Moore was the coach albeit a learning  on the job, tried to play POWER I football with a  Fry finesse team. Fred McCain was the AD who hated Fry and we went back to the Old NT thinking set us back decades. To Jerry Moore's credit he learned from his mistakes here and TT to become a real good coach at App St.

Pardon my faultering memory. I thought that Jerry Moore (like Hayden Fry and Darrel Royal etc.) was both AD and HC. That was a trend during those times.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Pardon my faultering memory. I thought that Jerry Moore (like Hayden Fry and Darrel Royal etc.) was both AD and HC. That was a trend during those times.

I think Moore was HC/AD in 1979-80.  Bob Tyler same in 1981.  Fred McCain ran the UNT Coliseum from 1973-82.  He was AD from 1982-87.

https://m.facebook.com/dentonrc/posts/474804815908520/?locale=hi_IN&_rdr

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Never dealt with piss all over the floor and flooded restrooms even at Fouts. Was shocked it happened at Apogee. I will always think of this whenever i think of ol’ WB. 

And sound system that cannot be fixed and the inability to have both screens working at the same time...ever.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

I look at it as my duty to consider offers that would benefit my family. I get offers on LinkedIn from recruiters a ton (look at me!) and the ones that are interesting are the ones that would better my family financially, or myself professionally (so I can better my families' well-being). 

I do not think it is a bad thing if Wren was doing something similar. In fact, I expect it. From what we can tell, he was doing it discreetly, and doing his job. Fine by me. 

As far as the game day experience -- it has been terrible. He addressed that to most people's satisfaction. The little underground public relations tour also suggested that a lot of the reason for the fall off had to do with post-pandemic staffing shortages. Having been to a Red Robin that abruptly announced mid-dinner "service" that they would not be taking any more orders "because we can't get no one to work" I certainly understand it is more widespread than at Apogee. 

Now, if Wren rolled up his sleeves and started mopping the bathrooms himself that would be good for optics (at least to some) but I don't know that I want to spend $600K for the guy to be cleaning the bathrooms. It's a misallocation of resources. 

More here

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

This is doubly great as Laina is a fellow UNT alum.

Yep! UNT should create promos with her about how she's become overly attached to our teams.

I'm glad she got a $400,000 NFT payday while that was still a thing. I think she bought a house.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Never dealt with piss all over the floor and flooded restrooms even at Fouts. Was shocked it happened at Apogee. I will always think of this whenever i think of ol’ WB. 

Maybe we should have been a little more frugal concerning Bakers salary increase and saved some money for cleaning urine off the bathroom floors at Apogee. 
Only at North Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

Jerry Moore completely wrecked UNT Athletics from what Fry had built.  He was terrible.

No, he wanted to change to a run based program from a "throw first" philosophy. If he'd stayed, he might have been able to do so. But, Tech hired him away from us. 

Moore's replacement DID wreck UNT athletics. Bob Tyler managed to get the NCAA to start investigating a losing team! Those who keep saying we need to just fire Littrell and get the "right" person should remember we might end up with another Bob Tyler! 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

No, he wanted to change to a run based program from a "throw first" philosophy. If he'd stayed, he might have been able to do so. But, Tech hired him away from us. 

Moore's replacement DID wreck UNT athletics. Bob Tyler managed to get the NCAA to start investigating a losing team! Those who keep saying we need to just fire Littrell and get the "right" person should remember we might end up with another Bob Tyler! 

Not if you do your due diligence. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 9:14 AM, Cr1028 said:

Are you telling me that if someone wanted to give you a new job with a raise from your current $62.50 per hour to the new job’s $110 per hour you wouldn’t even consider it unless you were working in a toxic environment?

Counterpoint: the entire state of West Virginia is toxic. 

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I look at it as my duty to consider offers that would benefit my family. I get offers on LinkedIn from recruiters a ton (look at me!) and the ones that are interesting are the ones that would better my family financially, or myself professionally (so I can better my families' well-being). 

I do not think it is a bad thing if Wren was doing something similar. In fact, I expect it. From what we can tell, he was doing it discreetly, and doing his job. Fine by me. 

As far as the game day experience -- it has been terrible. He addressed that to most people's satisfaction. The little underground public relations tour also suggested that a lot of the reason for the fall off had to do with post-pandemic staffing shortages. Having been to a Red Robin that abruptly announced mid-dinner "service" that they would not be taking any more orders "because we can't get no one to work" I certainly understand it is more widespread than at Apogee. 

Now, if Wren rolled up his sleeves and started mopping the bathrooms himself that would be good for optics (at least to some) but I don't know that I want to spend $600K for the guy to be cleaning the bathrooms. It's a misallocation of resources. 

More here

Zactly