SO WHAT HAPPENED?

meangreenbob

Listen, I’m not saying that any of these above issues had anything to do with Baker’s departure. But if Baker really loved being here, believed the future looked bright entering the AAC and the University countered WV’s offer( though we don’t know how much) wouldn’t you maybe lean toward staying? Unless the work environment had become somewhat toxic. Yes, I know and understand we are comparing P5 to G5. Anyway we probably will never know. It just seems Baker wanted out and wanted out fast. 

What we do know is the environment and the game day experience at Apogee this year was anemic. Like it was totally neglected. Stale. Worse I’ve seen in decades  

One area where Baker totally failed was not taking advantage of the BB programs success under Grant. Benford had destroyed everything Johnny Jones had built. 
Grant quickly turned it around winning the CBI his first year. Beat Purdue in the NCAA tournament and participated in the NIT, won THREE CUSA TITLES and yet the fans have not really returned, not to the degree one would expect with the programs success under Grant. Where was the AD? Why was he not out promoting the hell out of this program? 

Regardless, this is one long time fan who has lost faith in this Administration’s leadership in the area of Athletics. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 9

I have to agree on the game day experience around football and basketball.  It’s bad.  Tailgating environment is the worst I’ve seen since we first started allowing it in 2001.  Wren seemed to be making improvements right up until Covid struck…then we never really recovered.  Hard to say what happened since I don’t know what all was being done behind the scenes.

• Upvote 5

Wren seemed to be someone that knew what it would take to bring the schools athletic programs into the top tier of college sports.  However it did not seem as if the administration was always on the same page. 

The timing does seem concerning, his name has been floated among several power schools (several that had to be more attractive then WV), so I get the feeling that he left in a hurry.  So I have to speculate that maybe there was an issue over what to do about the coach, and that put the AD at odds with the administration. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

There is only 65 P5 AD Jobs. Athletic budget they are 51st. You have a better chance of going from a P5 to a top 30 program than coming from a G5. Comparing Argyle to Morgantown as far as quality of life, MT falls short. He succeeds in MT could see him moving to a more desirable location. I would not be surprised that there would be stress within the AD. We you only have a few big money donors like all schools they are going to be heard. The Seth situation is tough because you have a coach with a life long friendship with a major donor. Best case Seth wins out and gets a 2 year extension.

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Y'all.  Someone got hired away from UNT, not fired.

This is a good thing.  Wish it happened at the FB HC position.

BINGO! A major decision maker at NT athletics got hired away. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time something like that happened was when Jerry Moore got hired away from us by Texas Tech back at the end of the 1980 season.

• Upvote 7

39 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

The conspiratorial stuff is crazy.  Pay raise, higher profile job.  I emailed Wren congratulations and today he took the time to reply to me with gratitude.  BS he wanted out of here as fast as he could...he took a better job and even still he is paying his respects to the fans when he doesnt have to. 

And PS, I'm not special.  Just a regular old fan.  He's always replied when I've emailed any concerns.  The dude is crazy accessible.  

I’ve emailed him before but I always get the response from Mosely or Peck.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

But if Baker really loved being here, believed the future looked bright entering the AAC and the University countered WV’s offer( though we don’t know how much) wouldn’t you maybe lean toward staying?

They released the amount yesterday. He nearly doubled his salary and will be taking home 1.1 million a year.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tmjerm said:

BS he wanted out of here as fast as he could...he took a better job and even still he is paying his respects to the fans when he doesnt have to. 

I think @ThatMeanGreensuggested that Wren has been interviewing for several years now to get out of Denton.  I wish he (or anyone) could elaborate on that.  All I've seen is what people have been complaining about this football season, and the hesitation to pull the trigger with SL.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think @ThatMeanGreensuggested that Wren has been interviewing for several years now to get out of Denton.  I wish he (or anyone) could elaborate on that.  All I've seen is what people have been complaining about this football season, and the hesitation to pull the trigger with SL.

I think it has more to do with ascending the college athletics hierarchy more so than him disliking our university. 

Some of the folks around here from the “why would he leave us” crowd are giving off a crazy ex girlfriend vibe.

wandavision-angry.gif

girlfriend-clingy.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I think he meant "decision maker" as in from the AD's office

A. Ward to Murray State AD.

M. McKinley to San Diego State. 

Bunch of mid -level dudes to non-athletics jobs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1