CFP expanding in 2024 and 2025

Victorygreen04

If we’re going to have a rebuilding year, this makes it all the more important for 2023 to be that year.

Winning the AAC in 2024 and 2025 could very well make us one of the highest ranked conference champions and get a spot in the playoff. 

I fully support Wren and wish him the best…but what unfortunate timing for him to exit and leave the head football coach decision in limbo…

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

A 12 team playoff will be much better than 4 teams, but still short of all FBS Conference Champions participating.   The main hang up was how to incorporate the Bowls into an expanded playoff and it's effect on some Bowl's conference agreements.  The Rose Bowl was the last to sign over rights...or be left out of future playoff spots after 2025.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35152132/rose-bowl-agrees-amended-deal-paving-way-early-cfp-expansion

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Obviously it's a good thing to give more teams a chance to win, but I do kinda feel sad as the Bowl tradition becomes more and more irrelevant.  

I really didn't want to see this.  They could have had even more meaningful bowl games and not kill the drama of top 12 teams playing in November.   The simplest solution was selecting the 4 highest ranked  Bowl Game winners after the bowl are played.  Maybe a bowl game bye straight to the playoff for #1 at the end of the regular season.  That set up doesn't allow Cincinnati, Boise State, TCU (when they were G5), or any undefeated G5 bowl winner from contending.  The Michigan vs Ohio State, Alabama vs Auburn lose ugency if they are all rank above 12 when they play.  

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

If we’re going to have a rebuilding year, this makes it all the more important for 2023 to be that year.

Winning the AAC in 2024 and 2025 could very well make us one of the highest ranked conference champions and get a spot in the playoff. 

I fully support Wren and wish him the best…but what unfortunate timing for him to exit and leave the head football coach decision in limbo…

Absolutely- a playoff spot would be huge!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I really didn't want to see this.  They could have had even more meaningful bowl games and not kill the drama of top 12 teams playing in November.   The simplest solution was selecting the 4 highest ranked  Bowl Game winners after the bowl are played.  Maybe a bowl game bye straight to the playoff for #1 at the end of the regular season.  That set up doesn't allow Cincinnati, Boise State, TCU (when they were G5), or any undefeated G5 bowl winner from contending.  The Michigan vs Ohio State, Alabama vs Auburn lose ugency if they are all rank above 12 when they play.  

I remember way back in the 1990s when the rumblings of a "playoff" were discussed, the idea I most often heard was let the Bowls as they were then constituted be played with all the various tie ins, and then whoever came out of that 1 and 2 would play a week later for it all.  The main objection at the time was that it might be unfair if say the Rose Bowl featured 1 vs 2 if say Michigan and USC filled those spots and then a #3 Notre Dame played #17 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl...with the thought that ND would have had a much easier route to a title game.

Still though, that could have been pretty good too.

I remember as a kid sometimes you'd go into New Years Day with as many as four or five schools thinking they had a chance to be champions depending on who won or lost in the various Bowl games.  It was a different kind of fun.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Obviously it's a good thing to give more teams a chance to win, but I do kinda feel sad as the Bowl tradition becomes more and more irrelevant.  

I'm sure they will try to accommodate them by having a Pac12 team be in it when possible, but with the expanding playoff I just don't see how it would be possible to keep the old traditions. Maybe if they cut out the G5 entirely and basically moved us down to Div II, you could have an 8 team playoff and their 5 champions can keep their traditional bowl tie ins. 

I think we have to look at it as a new era and the things that worked before don't anymore. I think we all would pick the expanded playoff over what we've had, even if we are sad to see those traditions go away. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

You know what's better than bowls? On-campus playoff games. 

I get a lot of people have nostalgia for bowl games, but they're part of an outdated model that needs to be left behind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why? On-campus would be way more exciting and make the games accessible to fans/students. There's already way too many corporate driven neutral site games in the regular season. 

I actually feel like there are very few neutral site games actually.

Neutral site games would be much more favorable to underdogs, like the NCAA Tournament is.  How many more Final Fours would your North Carolinas of the world have if they didn't play a neutral site game till the Final Four? 

Say if we ever were lucky enough to get in.  I'd rather play in Atlanta on an even playing field than have to go up to say...Happy Valley in December with a foot of snow  You say not that many fans would go to all these neutral site games?  Maybe not, but I think there's a decent chance our fans would be more likely to travel en masse to a first round game than a school with bigger expectations.  Your Alabamas of the world might save their money and wait till it's the semis to shell our the money.  Our fans would know it's a one in a lifetime opportunity.  Might even have more UNT fans than people supporting the "big boy."

Kinda like March.

14 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I actually feel like there are very few neutral site games actually.

Neutral site games would be much more favorable to underdogs, like the NCAA Tournament is.  How many more Final Fours would your North Carolinas of the world have if they didn't play a neutral site game till the Final Four? 

Say if we ever were lucky enough to get in.  I'd rather play in Atlanta on an even playing field than have to go up to say...Happy Valley in December with a foot of snow  You say not that many fans would go to all these neutral site games?  Maybe not, but I think there's a decent chance our fans would be more likely to travel en masse to a first round game than a school with bigger expectations.  Your Alabamas of the world might save their money and wait till it's the semis to shell our the money.  Our fans would know it's a one in a lifetime opportunity.  Might even have more UNT fans than people supporting the "big boy."

Kinda like March.

I think fans would still go to neutral site games. It's just on-campus would be such a better experience and TV product. I'm not looking at this based on what might give UNT a better chance to win, but what would make the best playoff. Who wouldn't want to see Alabama play Michigan at the Big House in the snow? 

And there's zero chance UNT would ever have more fans than a P5. If we got lucky enough to play in the Cotton Bowl we could make it a neutral field, but any other location would be a de facto home game for the P5. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I get a lot of people have nostalgia for bowl games, but they're part of an outdated model that needs to be left behind. 

My goodness, we agree. Christmas must be close. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think fans would still go to neutral site games. It's just on-campus would be such a better experience and TV product. I'm not looking at this based on what might give UNT a better chance to win, but what would make the best playoff. Who wouldn't want to see Alabama play Michigan at the Big House in the snow? 

And there's zero chance UNT would ever have more fans than a P5. If we got lucky enough to play in the Cotton Bowl we could make it a neutral field, but any other location would be a de facto home game for the P5. 

I know fans would still go to neutral site games, but for schools that are always in the mix they'd be less likely to shell out a thousand bucks a ticket, plus traveling (hotels, plane, etc..) several consecutive weeks.  Hence for a first round game at a neutral site, where they expect to win big, they'd be A LOT less likely to go and wait for a later round match up.  It would even the playing field.

And I think we would travel pretty well in a situation like that.  Hell, even Hawaii fans traveled well to the Sugar Bowl the year they made it and that's about as far as they could possibly have to go.

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The bolded part is something I would really like to see. 

14 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I've been saying it since we announced our move to the AAC. The expanded playoff is a real chance for G5s to make a name for themselves. I'd guess that in a decade there will be "mid-major" type teams like in basketball, Gonzaga/Villanova types that are respected outside of the traditional powers. UNT needs to strive to be one of those teams. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I have been watching on-campus playoff games for years. D111 uses that format and they bring very sizable crowds.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

You could still do that after the Bowl games are played.  I don't think G5 teams with smaller capacity staduims would end up playing at the nearest larger capacity pro-stadium away with one or two exceptions.  You have to remember this move isn't about fair competition it's about revenue.  That is the primary I don't like Bowl games hosting playoff games in the first place.  It isn't about the fans either.  Because with the locations be set at the last minute, it makes it more difficult fans to plan trips.   It would be nice if for instance that we knew today's championship game winner was going to a specific bowl game. 

• Upvote 1