Wren Baker to West Virginia

MGNation92

3 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

This is also a great scenario because it gives Seth a chance in the AAC. We will have much more justification to either fire or keep him after the conclusion of next year's season

In reality, that decision will probably be made, either way, by mid season. We need to be ready and building for the 2024 year by the end of next season, not another year of evaluating and rebuilding.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

This is also a great scenario because it gives Seth a chance in the AAC. We will have much more justification to either fire or keep him after the conclusion of next year's season

No, we'll certainly have more justification. Bank on it. 

Why even letting it get to that point is the stuff of dying, unsuccessful athletic programs. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

I think the reason the UNT base is freaking out so much is because whenever people have left UNT before, it's been due to extreme negativity or poor performance on or off the field.

This time is different, UNT is a much better place than when Wren found it and I think we're all just not really used to that. Honestly, this is a great day to be proud of UNT and what it has become 

I mean Johnny Jones got hired away when he had a good thing going and we were in a really good position with  Top 25 type mentions and an NBA level talent (despite his sometimes questionable work ethic Mitchell was unbelievably talented).  Then Benford burned it all down in record time and it took a brilliant hire in Coach Mac to rescue it.  We were extremely fortunate he was able to save that dumpster fire because Benford really did gut the basketball program at NT.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen1984 said:

Wren did a lot of good for UNT.  I also understand people's immediate fear that Wren will try and poach McCasland.

While Wren would probably love to have him, make no mistake about it, McCasland is here because of Mosley.  

Mosley identified him for Wren...just as he had done at ACU when they hired McCasland.  They had/have a very solid relationship, even with McCasland leaving Abilene without ever coaching a game.  Mosley followed that departure up by identifying another young up and coming coach in Joe Golding.  All he did was lead ACU to an NCAAT win over Texas before taking the UTEP job.

Mosley also hit a home run in hiring Chris Thomsen while at ACU, who led the Wildcats to 6 straight NCAA D2 Playoff appearances which were the only 6 years they ever made the D2 playoffs.

Mosley has an eye for coaches.  

That can sell me…..

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Seriously? Of course there is if their donations mean you have no decision making authority but are the one being blamed for what is actually their  incompetency, mediocrity and failure.  

See and this whole time I thought the AD was accountable to the university president who was accountable to the board of regents. I was way off.

You should start a gofundme to fly a banner around the Alamodome Friday that says “Fire people that give UNT athletics lots of money!”. Or you could just list the names of these UNT overlords on leaflets you drop from above the stadium. Your choice.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

See and this whole time I thought the AD was accountable to the university president who was accountable to the board of regents. I was way off.

You should start a gofundme to fly a banner around the Alamodome Friday that says “Fire people that give UNT athletics lots of money!”. Or you could just list the names of these UNT overlords on leaflets you drop from above the stadium. Your choice.

No worries. You’re just a little naive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Apogee lost its lust on that fateful night LaTech blocked our game winning fg attempt many moons ago. We have been spiraling, granted with few bump ups, downward ever since. It was fun. The place had energy. Attendance was increasing. There was excitement. Recruiting was decent. That night the bubble did burst, imo. 

This is why I’ve been out on SL. Had the best QB in the history of North Texas and he did what with him?! 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

0 marketing. 0 before or after game marketing strategies as done in the past. Terrible game day atmosphere/setup. Terrible logistics 0 communication from the AD when the fanbase is clearly in a frenzy or close to one. 

My guess is that he's been putting his ear to the pavement for sometime. And, he clearly has. 

Totally agree with this.  Wren had "checked out" from us. 

5-7 years is typically the term before an AD moves up/on.  I'm sure him not wanting to deal with the Seth/donor situation added to it.  Not his hire, not his fire.   Except West Virginia has the same situation with their coach, Neal Brown, 22-25; fans want him gone too, lol.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Adjusted for accuracy.

The apathy that permeates across DFW for UNT didn't just wake up to freak out about this loss.  No giant panic is going to flood the local news rooms.  Would love to see it though!

I don't even see any panic in here. The closest I see if "please don't take our basketball coach on the way out."