Wren Baker to West Virginia

MGNation92

Meh.. some people just continue to fail upwards.  I'll never understand why some folks think highly of the guy.  He hasn't been able to increase attendance, football has continued to be on the poor side of mediocre.  He has struggled with various aspects in regards to business management and logistics over the years despite a large increase in staffing.  I guess we are going to a better conference, but not because of anything he did..

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 4

I remember an article last spring when the were trying to extend Grant, Wren seemed willing to do what ever it took to keep him, while the university didnt seem as inclined to do so.  But he got the deal done, I wonder if that created some animosity between Wren and the University?  Also have to wonder if there was an issue over Littrell between Wren and the University?

The timing of this couldn't be worse, Littrell situation up in the air, 2 days before the championship, 5 Days before the transfer window opens.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Meh.. some people just continue to fail upwards.  I'll never understand why some folks think highly of the guy.  He hasn't been able to increase attendance, football has continued to be on the poor side of mediocre.  He has struggled with various aspects in regards to business management and logistics over the years despite a large increase in staffing.  I guess we are going to a better conference, but not because of anything he did..

In many ways I agree, especially with the bolded...

I do disagree in that he did have a helping hand in pitching UNT to the AAC. They very well may have been after us to begin with, but it takes a pitch to close the deal regardless. 

He is leaving us in a better situation, but the situation he found us in may have been the worst situation in all of collegiate athletics, considering bball and football. 

The one thing that I will give him full credit for is bringing on Grant McCasland. Without that hire, his very mundane decision making would be highlighted. In many ways, WB owes GM a lot for his promotion. I'm not sure it ever happens without GM's success. Otherwise, why would it? 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I am seeing less and less fans at the games, even the season ticket holders are not showing (tell by the green chairs).  The two people in front who were also at games have not been coming the four seats next to them said after the SMUT game he would not be back and he hasn't.  My friends who have been season ticket holders for years hardly come to any games and usually leave early.  they are not SL fans.  We don't have great attendance to begin with.  I am always so disappointed when I get to the game and the crowd is small.  Yeah I think some won't be back as long as SL is here.   So yeah I am saying we will lose fans.

This is the #1 reason Seth has to go. I don't care if bugs bunny is the AD. Pull the trigger and move on. The stadium is dead. The momentum is non-existent. Recruiting is awful. SL did a photo op with some visiting recruits at a game, not sure 10 fans were in sight, and 1/2 of the student section side was in the photo. We are bleeding fans and no one gives an eff about stumbling into a crappy conference championship game. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Pissed 1

Wren has been OK. His best accomplishment was hiring our MBB coach but other than that, most of the pieces were already set in place. Where he has failed is to bring excitement back into our athletic programs through proven marketing schemes and improving the gameday experience. So, I am actually kind of glad he is leaving as long as we can bring someone in who can truly understand marketing and also knows who to hire as our next football coach. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I remember an article last spring when the were trying to extend Grant, Wren seemed willing to do what ever it took to keep him, while the university didnt seem as inclined to do so.  But he got the deal done, I wonder if that created some animosity between Wren and the University?  Also have to wonder if there was an issue over Littrell between Wren and the University?

The timing of this couldn't be worse, Littrell situation up in the air, 2 days before the championship, 5 Days before the transfer window opens.  

This is why Seth has to get a short extension.  Otherwise the football program will become unstable and players will bail en masse.  Allow him to build on this season and take that into the AAC. We have a good, young nucleus of players returning. 

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1