Wren Baker to West Virginia

MGNation92

I wish Wren well in his new journey.  While I wish he'd been more decisive about Seth, at the time of the original extension, given what we knew at the time, it was the right call.  Wren was instrumental in moving out of C-USA.  That alone was a tremendous achievement.  

Nobody could expect a G5 AD not to take a good P5 spot if the opportunity comes around.  

I hope the next AD here can build on the successes.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Okay, but that's how a lot (if not most) of programs operate. Just the other week a story broke that Chris Del Conte wanted to bring Sonny Dykes to UT, but was overruled by donors. 

I'd love for our donors to step away and let the AD do his job, but sadly, that's not realistic. 

Totally agree with you. It’s not uncommon. 

That’s why I believe the decision will be made to give Littrell an extension. He’s not been an unmitigated disaster. We’re in the conference title game (I know CUSA sucks). They won’t fire him with all of this uncertainty in the administration. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Pellom said:

Totally agree with you. It’s not uncommon. 

That’s why I believe the decision will be made to give Littrell an extension. He’s not been an unmitigated disaster. We’re in the conference title game (I know CUSA sucks). They won’t fire him with all of this uncertainty in the administration. 

I certainly want him gone, and I hope the new AD hires someone more capable. If we do extend him I hope it's a short, incentive laden contract.

If we're attached to a massive buyout when he goes 6-10 in AAC conference play his first two years we're gonna be so much further behind the eight ball than we already are

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

Congrats to Wren. This is a good situation and we have a lot going on here “infrastructure” wise. There actually ARE better ADs out there than Wren Baker. Go get them. If it’s Jared Mosley great. But I would hope they do a big national search. 

As for Littrell, I think this for sure buys him another couple of years. By the time a new AD steps in, it’s too late to do anything about next season so Littrell will definitely be back next year. I could see Smatresk adding a couple of years to his deal to put that to rest and then get the new AD in here to evaluate. (Assuming Littrell doesn’t get a job somewhere else anyway)

So here’s the deal….if Littrell is here next year, he has a chance to turn it around. Either get a longer term deal here or a P5 offer. 

I'm not sad about WB leaving. Good for him. The timing is a little tough though given the football program situation. But let’s go get a really good AD and keep it going. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

50 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I’m not sure about the stuff you posted, but it’s definitely why we haven’t heard anything definitive on the Littrell front. 

Wren has been focused on getting out, not determining the future in Denton. 

What a BS ignorant statement. Thanks Wren best of luck!

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

if we extend SL contract I am afraid we will have a big drop in attendance.  We cannot afford that with the few fans we have.  

So you are saying that they stayed with him through 4-8, 4-6, 6-7, and now 7-5, but next season, next season is just too much.