Stephen F. Austin State University moves to join the University of Texas system

Regents said they chose the UT System because of its access to the Permanent University Fund, which consists of oil and gas assets.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Whatever. 

University of Texas-Stephen F. Austin or UT-Nacogdoches 🥴

Say what you will about North Texas but I’ve always been proud about the fact it’s it’s own institution and not another McDonald’s franchise university. 

If memory serves we were asked to join the UT system in the early 60's. The faculty was for it, students against. I am not smart enough to know if that was a good move or not, However at that time universities absorbed into the UT system were not allowed access to the Permanent University Fund until UTA sued Texas decades later.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

If memory serves we were asked to join the UT system in the early 60's. The faculty was for it, students against. I am not smart enough to know if that was a good move or not, However at that time universities absorbed into the UT system were not allowed access to the Permanent University Fund until UTA sued Texas decades later.

It sounds like they are getting a lot of money to make this move.  Why would we not want to do the same?  I don't get why this is good for Texas if they have to spend more of their oil money to seal the deal? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

It sounds like they are getting a lot of money to make this move.  Why would we not want to do the same?  I don't get why this is good for Texas if they have to spend more of their oil money to seal the deal? 

I don't know what The University of Texas gets out of this but it never does something for nothing. Recently Midwestern State joined the Texas Tech system and in the past West Texas State, East Texas State , and Stephenville moved to the Texas A&M family. Interestingly UTA left the A&M system and moved over to Texas . At one point the state  tried to get TWU to join UNT but they said not no, but hell no.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Doesn't sound like they are getting much $$ to sell their souls...

"UT System’s offer includes additional funding for scholarships, the forestry program and mental health resources, as well as $5.5 million for staff salaries and access to its online library system, according to its response to a series of questions presented by students, faculty and staff. Each system was asked to respond to the questionnaire."

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, Coffee and TV said:

They're supposedly keeping the name though. Tarleton State is still Tarleton. 

Isn't Tarleton in the TAMU system? UT says they'll let them keep the name, but they've said that before, and they never have. It may be 9-10 years, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's UT-N eventually

• Upvote 1