McMurphy projecting us to New Orleans against Coastal

meangreenfaninno

7 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

One troll named Brett is enough for this board. Give us Armed Forces, maybe New Mexico, but the New Orleans Bowl will really prevent a lot of people from attending.

New Mexico would prevent because it’s a terrible drive.

I don’t want local, NOLA is more fun and if we can win on Friday, I bet we have a good showing for that bowl. Even if it’s a Wednesday, this could be the most important and significant bowl UNT has had in a while.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I don’t want local, NOLA is more fun and if we can win on Friday, I bet we have a good showing for that bowl. Even if it’s a Wednesday, this could be the most important and significant bowl UNT has had in a while.

More significant than the other bowl blowouts to Sun Belt teams in Seth's tenure? At least the NO Bowl against Troy was on a Saturday. I'm selfishly thinking about my schedule and budget, but I'm not convinced there'd be a significant larger amount of fans in New Orleans on a Wednesday still several days before Christmas than a Saturday in New Mexico.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

27 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

One troll named Brett is enough for this board. Give us Armed Forces, maybe New Mexico, but the New Orleans Bowl will really prevent a lot of people from attending.

Why would the best bowl available in a tourist location prevent people from attending when the New Mexico would not?

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I agree would love to visit NO but I also worry how well we would fare against Coastal?  I seem to recall they are pretty good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Why would the best bowl available in a tourist location prevent people from attending when the New Mexico would not?

Just thinking about the people like me who will have to work the entire week regardless of proximity to Christmas that can't take off. I still maintain the Armed Forces Bowl would be a better bowl, but I would also prefer New Mexico over the fact those projected matchups are more winnable than who people have suggested we'd play in New Orleans. Kinda tired of getting slaughtered by Sun Belt teams.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

For those who have been to a New Orleans Bowl, I strongly recommend the experience. New Orleans is great the week before Christmas - not packed but everything is open. There is a reason NOLA is one of the top tourist and convention destinations in America. Albuquerque is not! 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree would love to visit NO but I also worry how well we would fare against Coastal?  I seem to recall they are pretty good.

If NT is not good enough to play a Belt team, who do you think they should play?

CC has beat Marshall and App, St. but was destroyed by ODU 21-49 and barely beat USM by 3.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Having lived there, I can attest to it is a great city.

Sounds like someone who has spent a drunk night or two in the Quarter. 

I grew up visiting my dad while he was working on the movie JFK and also playing Tulane in lacrosse. The city was great at one time, but in my opinion it has declined. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I grew up visiting my dad while he was working on the movie JFK and also playing Tulane in lacrosse. The city was great at one time, but in my opinion it has declined. 

just to be argumentative, what city has not declined?

Great food, good entertainment, all kinds of crowd watching plus a lot of less used aspects like outstanding museums and sightseeing.  

It is definitely a tourist city, but in general; they do it well.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Bourbon Street has become a scammers paradise post Katrina.  Since most tourists consider Bourbon Street to be New Orleans, then yes it has decline a lot.

Not sure what a scammer's paradise is, but I suspect Bourbon Street has been one long before Katrina. 

The changes for the bad that happened are the level of law enforcement.  I do not know if it wokeism or lack of resources, but things that used to not be allowed are now.   Bums sleeping on street, streetwalkers and  panhandlers everywhere did not used to be allowed. 

If they don't get a handle on it, they could kill a lot of the tourism industry there. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

You understand that a huge portion of what makes bowl games exciting for players is the opportunity to travel and win somewhere meaningful?

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

You understand that a huge portion of what makes bowl games exciting for players is the opportunity to travel and win somewhere meaningful?

I recall the 2013 team had other opportunities but wanted to stay close to home where more fans could support them.

Although, after the tiny Frisco Bowl didn't sell out last year, I wouldn't blame them to opt for the destination this year.