OK Here's the Deal (Coaching Changes)

TheColonyEagle

1 minute ago, MeanMag said:

They had their chance.

2EFD5D05-D59F-4252-AA7A-DDBFEED3EEFF.jpeg

I see what you're saying....but in any other year, it wouldn't have mattered. The lack of divisions hurt WKU and benefited UNT. That's just a fact. 

I'm sure there were plenty of seasons where one division champ lost to someone in the other division that didn't make it...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Has his record improved because of his coaching or that CUSA has gotten worse each year.  He has been less than successful in the out of conference games in his tenure especially if drop the FCS teams out.  We are stepping up to higher competition next year.   I don't if he can have much success in the AAC.  Smut pounded us, Memphis beat us, UAB pounded us and UTSA has beaten us.  Memphis is towards the bottom of the AAC and SMUT has losing record in the AAC.  

If we were staying in the CUSA I would say keep him but I think we are taking a bigger step up than we realize. I am not sure any coach we hire will be successful next year in the AAC.  We have to get bigger and a lot faster.  It may take a couple years to upgrade some of our talent.  

I know we did not get paid by CUSA this year and we won't get paid our first year in the AAC.  I just felt like the AD didn't spend a lot on the marketing part athletics?  Is that just be or has anyone else felt that this year?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I for one like the simplicity of how this is all playing out.  Wren needs to just tell him, "Seth, if you beat UTSA in their home stadium in front of 45K fans you will keep your job and if you don't I will have to fire you as soon as it is over."  It really is nothing personal.

I once had a sales job where we had an annual number we had to hit and the year I didn't hit mine my boss called me in the office and said hey man I hate to do this but I have to let you go.  It stung for a bit, but I appreciated his honesty and I learned a lot about life on that day. 

Their is nothing more personal than firing an employee. Ask anyone who has fired or been fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

UAB hiring Trent Dilfer as HC. Thoughts?

"Dilfer most recently completed his fourth season as head coach of Lipscomb Academy, a private high school in Nashville, Tennessee, that has amassed a 38-8 record under his leadership."

This is his only coaching experience. 

UNT tried the "winning high school coach" route a couple times; none did very well.

Dennis Parker  11-21-1

Todd Dodge  6-37

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

UNT tried the "winning high school coach" route a couple times; none did very well.

Dennis Parker  11-21-1

Todd Dodge  6-37

Deion Sanders was even less qualified prior to his 2 years at Jackson State and everybody wants him now. If UAB finalizes the deal with Dilfer, it's more about name than coaching experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

"Dilfer most recently completed his fourth season as head coach of Lipscomb Academy, a private high school in Nashville, Tennessee, that has amassed a 38-8 record under his leadership."

This is his only coaching experience. 

Dennis Parker  11-21-1

Todd Dodge  6-37

Completely different time, but Odus Mitchell was the HC of Marshall HS when he was hired to coach the post WW II  re-established NT football program. 

Edited by SilverEagle

8 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Winning 0 games, 2 games, 5 games, and not competing in conference makes that an easy decision.

You say that and I think that is a reasonable way to see it. However one could also say that things were improving and trending in the right direction.

More importantly, that team still beat NT. By 31 points. That happened. And it is as much part of the season as NTs 5-3 conference record.

Edited by outoftown

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

It's for the "greater good"!   

I didn't say that it might be time for both parties to go their separate ways. But to say " nothing personal" is bull shit. When you terminate an employee you not only affect them and their career you also are impacting their family. In addition, " It's for the greater good" is bull shit also.