OK Here's the Deal (Coaching Changes)

TheColonyEagle

I know: "another Littrell post" 

"will they or won't they"

I mean....yes, with a coach coming up on the last year of his contract and no decision yet, it's kind of a big deal. But I'm not going to bring up his record, our conference, recruiting, etc.

I'm just looking at other programs that have made the decision to move on. 

How much optimism do they have? I would think die hard UAB fans are pretty excited...look at what they've built and they have a pretty good list to choose from. The future is bright. Tulsa....they have to be excited. Texas State, even FAU. Then look at P5s...Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconsin....they have been stuck in the mud and they get a fresh start. May not work...may be the start of something great. Would there have been excitement at those schools if they did nothing? No...they all get fresh new starts.

So that brings us to North Texas.

The questions we should be asking: Will anyone be pumped up and excited if Seth Littrell comes back? What if we have the list that UAB is looking at to choose from? Would that be more exciting then bringing Seth Littrell back for his 8th season?

We can debate all day if Littrell is good or not, but the fact is our program is stuck in the mud.....what will it take to get us excited for the 2023 season and beyond?

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The questions we should be asking: Will anyone be pumped up and excited if Seth Littrell comes back?

And if your answer is: "yes he's better than anything we've had in a long long time..."

You can go ahead and move on. You have ZERO credibility and no desire to see North Texas really succeed.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 10

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I would answer with a question. Are the fans in Ruston more excited this season than they were last season?

That’s fair….

I would say probably not 

they’re probably wishing their AD made a better hire. Maybe wishing they had better resources. Weren’t stuck in CUSA 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

It is kind of shitty that heading into a championship game, the majority of threads on this forum are about firing the coach. 

It's almost like body of work matters more than a conference championship appearance that Littrell once again lucked into because we got rid of divisions this year.

We are talking about firing him because we expect him to lose. Which is something he has done repeatedly throughout his career here.

If he actually wins I'll gladly eat crow. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It's almost like body of work matters more than a conference championship appearance that Littrell once again lucked into because we got rid of divisions this year.

We are talking about firing him because we expect him to lose. Which is something he has done repeatedly throughout his career here.

💯  Exactly this!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Agree with all that you said.  If he runs the table then honor the last year of his contract.  If he doesn't then look for the best coach that we can afford.  I hope that you weren't literal with the eating crow.  I hear that it's sickening.  Ask Stebo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

100% I am in total agreeance with you 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I get this, but man, this board would be going ape shit if we didn't make it to the championship game, so it has become a no win situation with some.  Don't make it to the game, pissed off.  Make it to the game, pissed off because he "lucked" into it.

• Upvote 6

This, this right here. 

He backdoored himself into this champ game like he's backdoored into 2 or 3 bowl games. AND if every single person that supports UNT were honest with themselves, they all expect to lose Friday. That's why green in attendance will be very minimal in the Alamodome. Yet, here we are, basically waiting for the inevitable to happen so the switch can be pulled. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I get this, but man, this board would be going ape shit if we didn't make it to the championship game, so it has become a no win situation with some.  Don't make it to the game, pissed off.  Make it to the game, pissed off because he "lucked" into it.

I don't think anyone is pissed off that we made it. It would have been more fitting to be pissed off had we lost to Rice and FAU beat WKU, a very Seth Littrell thing to happen. But they earned the 2nd place finish on the field and the right to play. 

• Upvote 2

He has also now - repeatedly for 2 years - improved his conference record.  Even if we were not in the 'ship game because of no divisions, we have won 5 games (2021) and now 6 (2022) instead of just 3 like we did the first two post-Fine seasons.

He also clobbered WKU this year, a blow to the "he doesn't beat teams with winning records" point.

Of course there is emphasis on body of work.  Because if you want SL to fail, you can't be dwelling on any signs of recent improvement.

I don't think we will win on Friday.  But, if we do, the recent success becomes much harder to blow off.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

He has also now - repeatedly for 2 years - improved his conference record.  Even if we were not in the 'ship game because of no divisions, we have won 5 games (2021) and now 6 (2022) instead of just 3 like we did the first two post-Fine seasons.

He also clobbered WKU this year, a blow to the "he doesn't beat teams with winning records" point.

Of course there is emphasis on body of work.  Because if you want SL to fail, you can't be dwelling on any signs of recent improvement.

I don't think we will win on Friday.  But, if we do, the recent success becomes much harder to blow off.

Fair points. He has gotten better, there's no denying that.

But your bolded sentence is the exact reason why he shouldn't be here anymore. We made the conference championship, hell yeah. But history speaks for itself, improvement or not. Hardly anyone who's been a fan of this team for more than 5 seconds has any confidence we can win.

It took two insane catches to beat us last time we played UTSA. This time around? I won't be surprised if we lose by two or more scores. It's a trophy game, a game with meaning. His track record is bad to very bad in those instances.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Fair points. He has gotten better, there's no denying that.

But your bolded sentence is the exact reason why he shouldn't be here anymore. We made the conference championship, hell yeah. But history speaks for itself, improvement or not. Hardly anyone who's been a fan of this team for more than 5 seconds has any confidence we can win.

It took two insane catches to beat us last time we played UTSA. This time around? I won't be surprised if we lose by two or more scores. It's a trophy game, a game with meaning. His track record is bad to very bad in those instances.

No one expected us to beat WKU either, but it happened.

Look, he's still here and he is our coach for Friday.  Maybe he'll get over one more hump.  It's a big one, for sure.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I for one like the simplicity of how this is all playing out.  Wren needs to just tell him, "Seth, if you beat UTSA in their home stadium in front of 45K fans you will keep your job and if you don't I will have to fire you as soon as it is over."  It really is nothing personal.

I once had a sales job where we had an annual number we had to hit and the year I didn't hit mine my boss called me in the office and said hey man I hate to do this but I have to let you go.  It stung for a bit, but I appreciated his honesty and I learned a lot about life on that day. 

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This, this right here. 

He backdoored himself into this champ game like he's backdoored into 2 or 3 bowl games. AND if every single person that supports UNT were honest with themselves, they all expect to lose Friday. That's why green in attendance will be very minimal in the Alamodome. Yet, here we are, basically waiting for the inevitable to happen so the switch can be pulled. 

I call B.S. on this.  I expect us to win.  Stating that minimal attendance by those in green verify this statement is also b.s. considering the game day and time.  I would be there if it were on Saturday, but can't make it Friday evening.  Has nothing to do with my expectations of the outcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I call B.S. on this.  I expect us to win.  Stating that minimal attendance by those in green verify this statement is also b.s. considering the game day and time.  I would be there if it were on Saturday, but can't make it Friday evening.  Has nothing to do with my expectations of the outcome.

Ok, 500 more green shirts if the game was on Saturday. 

Also, no way you expect us to win. How could you? 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2